Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 LifeLine Replacement

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DavidCrosby Posted - 03/29/2022 : 20:04:31
Here is info on another winter project. I replaced my lifelines.

Last fall, before covering the boat I removed just the lifelines on the port side. I figured making two identical sets would do it.

I was very methodical in making my two sets and when I went to install them this spring I ended up about one inch short on the forward starboard section. Thankfully, I had a neat little twisted stay extender from a previous boat I had parted out. This was the perfect size and if I don't blab all over the internet about my error, nobody will probably ever notice.

Anyhow, fair warning to all. These boats are not symmetrical.

I reused the turn buckle barrels and Pelican Hook bodies. Below is my parts list and a photo. I purchased these from Defender Marine.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DavidCrosby Posted - 04/03/2022 : 06:49:17
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

but gotta ask why coated vs regular stainless?

The only good answer I have would be, personal preference. I figure what I had has been on the boat for 20 years. For longevity, regular stainless would probably be better. While some rust was showing. I replaced mostly for cosmetic reasons.
bigelowp Posted - 04/03/2022 : 05:47:31
I know the C25 is different than the C250, but gotta ask why coated vs regular stainless? I replaced my life lines several years ago and was advised not to use coated as it contributed to by trapping water that could not evaporate and then hid corrosion. My solution was to use coated between the gates at the cockpit where someone might be leaning back against a life line. If I were to do it again I would go 100% non coated stainless and then use floating pool "noodles" only when sailing.
DavidCrosby Posted - 04/02/2022 : 17:57:59
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Before replacing the life lines would you have considered using "Dyneema", instead of coated stainless steel wire.

I thought about it, but there is different expense involved in going that way. I did not want line lashings at the connection points. So, I would still have fittings to buy to be able to use Pelican Hooks for the gates, etc. It just seemed easier to stay with stainless steel lifelines. I already own the tools, so I did not have that kind of cost to add in.

Additionally, I had an experience with non wire lifelines. I was racing crew on a Melges 24. I was in the forward position. Two guys aft of me and then the skipper. The three of us crew were sitting facing out with feet hanging over the side. We were leaning hard against the lifelines to get as much body weight over the side as possible. I commented to my friend who was sitting in the next position aft of me, "We are putting a lot of faith in these lifelines." Just as he acknowledged my comment the lifeline broke and he and the guy aft of him went overboard. I thankfully was seated at a stanchion and had something to grab on to.
zeil Posted - 04/02/2022 : 09:43:27

Before replacing the life lines would you have considered using "Dyneema", instead of coated stainless steel wire.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page