Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Sheeting for 135 genoa on C250 wing keel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JB Posted - 08/05/2021 : 07:15:37
I'm unable to get a good sail shape when close hauled unless I reef the sail to about the size of a 110 and even then the jib sheet cars are at the end of the the track at the winch end.

The jib sheet track appears to be standard. It is mounted in a flat area molded in the cabin top. The track runs from just behind the mast to a foot or two ahead of the cabin top winch. I have the sail raised high enough so the foot of the sail clears the pulpit and life lines. With the car in the last position the clew is almost direct above the car, maybe even past the car.

What do others do to get a good shape close hauled, do you add track past the cabin top?

I've only sailed the boat twice so I'm still getting used to it.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dave Brown Posted - 08/28/2021 : 15:25:24
As stated some where, you could have a jib on the boat the is not stock.
I have a 1999, and the jib was off a J 24. Ya !!! I had a heck of a time, till
I had a “ tent and awning “ store cut it down for me.
Good luck
JB Posted - 08/15/2021 : 08:17:09
I do have a problem with mast rake, I added a toggle for the furler and connected the stay at the pin that is for the spinnaker by mistake.

After sailing a few times, we've found that we have to reef early or the boat heels more than the wife finds acceptable. Can the boat be sailed under headsail alone or is there a danger of inverting the mast bend? If I went down to a 110, is the sheeting inside the shrouds or outside?

Russ.Johnson Posted - 08/13/2021 : 08:00:11
quote:
Originally posted by JB

The forestay tension seem OK, it doesn't sag under load. The tracks on my C25 are on the rail and go past the cabin, but on the C250 they're on the cabin roof. They seem too short for a 135. When the genoa is sheeted tight the angle of the sheet is nearly straight down and not perpendicular to the forestay.

JB,
Another topic for the forestay adjustment is mast rake.
If the mast is too far aft, it would move the clew aft as well.
The owners guide has a section on mast tuning.
There is a copy in manuals on the website
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/man250.asp

Russ.Johnson Posted - 08/13/2021 : 07:53:48
quote:
Originally posted by alippold

My 250 WB was designed for a 110 jib. I modified it to work with a 135.

Amber,
Thank you for posting the PDF file.
I always wondered how the original C250WB could handle a bigger sail.
alippold Posted - 08/08/2021 : 09:25:44
My 250 WB was designed for a 110 jib. I modified it to work with a 135. The following link is to a pdf that I got from Catalina Direct with instructions for installing a track on the rail and cheek blocks to work with the current winches. I followed this diagram pretty closely and the design works well. Maybe it will be helpful to you as it seems your wing keel has a similar design to my WB 250. https://www.mywebquilter.com/amberwaves/C-250%20Deck%20Hardware%20for%20135%20or%20150%20genoajpg.pdf
Voyager Posted - 08/08/2021 : 06:22:42
Ah, I see your point. Perhaps this boat was set up and configured for a smaller jib.
I literally just viewed the C250 brochure details on the left. The deck plan diagram shows the position of the tracks on the cabin top close in to the mast and a separate illustration shows the 110 sail plan. Seems like that combination is Catalina’s intended setup.
So other than that, I’m just guessing.
Geometrically, do you have enough room to practically add a separate set of tracks out along the gunwales either side of the cabin to accommodate the larger genoa? I’d guess that you’d need several feet of track to adjust the sheets depending on wind conditions and percent of “reef” in the furler.
JB Posted - 08/06/2021 : 20:03:30
The forestay tension seem OK, it doesn't sag under load. The tracks on my C25 are on the rail and go past the cabin, but on the C250 they're on the cabin roof. They seem too short for a 135. When the genoa is sheeted tight the angle of the sheet is nearly straight down and not perpendicular to the forestay.
Voyager Posted - 08/05/2021 : 14:03:02
How’s the tension on your forestay? Mine was a wee bit too loose last year and I had a similar problem. I figured out how to tension it up a little more (thanks to Scott “Islander”’s awesome memory) and my sail shape is much improved

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page