Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Project one, two, three and next...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zeil Posted - 11/04/2021 : 16:08:14
Completed two enhancement fun projects.

The joy of sailing for me during COVID 19 restrictions has been planning and doing boat projects, some small and some a little more involved.

Given our age we may not get out on the water much anymore but that does not stop us from enjoying boat-life in the driveway next to the garage/workshop and spending time most days.

Just the climb up and down the wing-keel-on-the-trailer and crawling into small spaces while measuring and fitting things keep us in good shape never mind all the planning, material selections, cutting, sawing, fitting and running to stores and suppliers.

Come spring-time the boat should be in better-than-new shape. In the meantime we'll happily stretch the jobs and projects for all they are worth...

Using 1/4" (6m/m) clear plexiglass for a hatch board adds a lot of light to the cabin and provides an unobstructed view of the cockpit and stern. It will be lockable using a hasp

The sink cover and cutting board adds more counter space when needed

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zeil Posted - 03/26/2022 : 12:23:52

Approximately measurements of the opening cut into the side of the counter behind the sink and next to the stove.

Before cutting, make sure your C250 has a similar counter and galley layout as shown. We left the newly cut edges just sanded.

The Velcro cover should amply cover/overlap the opening and will be more user friendly than a hinged cover which could be a nuisance

slacker Posted - 03/20/2022 : 18:22:04
Hi yes I would like to get those dimensions to compare what I came up with . I came up with 6 1/2 by 12 . That area is really dead space without an opening of some sort. Not good on a boat
zeil Posted - 03/18/2022 : 12:42:01

Hi Paul... The opening provides super efficient access to your stored pots and pans and equipment as well as a great inspection port for the boat's electrical, water and gas lines.

If more storage shelf space is desired you can add another (part) tray section to just before the sink's drain outlet

When marking the desired opening make sure to cut the opening a little above the top shelf rail.

https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32244
Let me know if you wish approx. measurements

slacker Posted - 03/18/2022 : 11:31:11
Hi, Would you possibly have a couple more pics of the "New teak lined galley opening cover". I did appreciate the usefulness of this until I tried to reach back in there from the front door. Its almost useless as is. Thanks
zeil Posted - 02/26/2022 : 16:25:38

On the wing keel the shelf is clearly visible and accessible
zeil Posted - 02/19/2022 : 15:38:49
Good thing... we're not counting or get charged by the hour

The shelf is installed and fits well in the designated space. To make sure the shelf, when overloaded, is secure we added a detachable support cord

Shelf stored in upright position when in not in use. It is buffeted with a "felt pad", against the head's teak rail and held in place with a short piece of shock cord wound around the security pin

Half the fun is using what is available. A sail-lug is used as a quick release when the shelf is to be stored. To make sure the shelf is supported on all four corners from one of the bolts holding down the deck-side traveler
is used to attach the fourth corner as shelf support. A lever from an old stainless nail clipper was drilled and used.

CGSC_Gaviota Posted - 02/18/2022 : 10:29:11
You guys are way better at woodworking than I am.
zeil Posted - 02/17/2022 : 23:07:26
This may not be for everyone but once I dreamed of having a storable shelf in the space next to the wetlocker, nothing else would do.

Had I known the finicky work it involved, I would have forgotten about the idea and made a fixed shelf as on the two previous boats.

The idea behind this "swingable shelf", is that the next owner may have little use for the extra storage it creates and is able to collapse the shelf to use the space in other ways.

The wonderful thing is that only 3 screw holes were required in the teak railings and hardly noticeable should the next owner wish to remove the shelf again.

BTW Only recyclable teak and 3/8 melamine plywood was used

The "swingable", shelf is nearing completion

Backside view including the mounting rails with security pin

View from the mounting side using one screw per side

Front view and ready to install...

Voyager Posted - 01/25/2022 : 17:16:23
Now that’s re-using your materials cleverly!
islander Posted - 01/23/2022 : 16:43:26
Spectacular!
zeil Posted - 01/23/2022 : 15:25:14

Success...

When we bought the boat we noticed two big speakers in the cockpit and made a mental note to remove them at a later date.

Now, 6 months later, the project of removing and replacing the speakers is complete.

When we noticed the "water infiltrating", 4" speaker construction the need to replace them became a must.

Removing the speakers and filling the holes in the cockpit sidewall with something became sort of a puzzle at first.

Regardless, to start the project we obtained two 4" inspection port hole covers that would fit into opening. Then, while removing the speakers, it dawned on us that perhaps the "left-over 1/4" plexiglass hatch board cut-offs, instead of the screw-in closure plates that came with the unit, could be used...

Scrounging around for other things, Johanna noticed, of all things, a 20 degree black sewer pipe with flanges exactly 5"OD and 4 1/2" ID that would fit both the port hole ring and cockpit opening and would nicely cover the inner space between liner and fiberglass

Installing it all, the final result seems to us, attractive and functional by providing bright daylight in "dark places", including the aft berth a little more and making space seem larger.

For privacy, the "modified", deck plates that came with the port hole unit, can still partly be screwed in and used on the inside to block out daylight and prying eyes.

Speaker removal with new 4" inspection port hole cover. But how to close off the space between the cockpit fiberglass and the unequal spaced inner liner

Cockpit speaker with glaring open water leaking holes into the cockpit liner and inside the aft berth.

Left over 1/4" plexiglass and 5" OD black sewer pipe used to make the make the port light fit snug into the 5"ID cockpit hole

2 hour 1'2" water test after epoxy gluing the port light into the inspection port

Installation with "night privacy", closure of the port side porthole

Starboard aft berth porthole increasing significant light levels in the aft berth

zeil Posted - 01/22/2022 : 10:27:48
Hello Bruce. Good for you to bring sustainability and recycling forward. Practicing takes a mindset, innovation, adaptability and a bit of time

Scrounging in ever wider circles from little used drawers at home to local recycling to the internet. It's fun and often come across stuff one didn't know existed or could be good for a next project.

Voyager Posted - 01/20/2022 : 09:07:24
This entire thread is a testament to sustainable practices. I love reusing materials like teak, marine plywood, old brass fittings and blocks. I’m at one of the more high-end marinas in my area and there’s a treasure trove of recycled goodies in the members’ locker room in a blue bucket next to the washer and dryer. It’s a put and take resource that I’ve both donated to and taken from. I recently donated an extra copy of Don Casey’s Electrical book and found some excellent brass coat hooks.
Even our boats, most of them are decades-old, are an exercise in sustainability. Why buy new when you can get a better quality and fully outfitted boat for a lot less?
And with a resource like this forum, repairs are made much more easily and probably better just based on the experience and advice of folks who’ve already “been there and done that”.
Nice work Henk! And everybody else too!
zeil Posted - 01/18/2022 : 17:53:09

The #16 self tailing Lewmar winches became next to inoperable due to cold, old grease and build up of grime. I took them apart using a manual and making sure not to loose parts or pieces.

First time dissembling, cleaning and oiling them before reassembling the 2 main winches.

zeil Posted - 12/17/2021 : 11:59:14
Another project is to remove and replace two speakers located in the cockpit side walls, one opposite the other. Two speakers in the cabin will remain

For this we purchased two, Five Oceans Marine Non-Slip Round Inspection Deck Plate Hatch with Detachable Rugged Center, Water Tight for Outdoor Installations, 4 inches White
zeil Posted - 12/14/2021 : 15:57:22

Ah... Dave, I don't deserve a pedestal at all but thank you. I lack joinery and fine tools, improvising with the basics.

But... what is lacking in tools is made up by enthusiasm for the boat's ability to serve a wide range of creature comforts during long or short cruises on land, on the water or both...

Stinkpotter Posted - 12/13/2021 : 20:51:12
Actually, I was referring to your workmanship. Anyone who's been below in a Hinckley "anything" (Sou'wester, Talaria, whatever) has seen the epitome of marine joinery.
zeil Posted - 12/13/2021 : 16:08:36
Dave you're right... Catalina's "pocket yachts", deserve a "Hinckley wing" logo

This reminds me of an old story of a gentleman who bought a Rolls Royce for his country estate in England. Upon delivery he then took his family in the newly acquired automobile and went on a vacation to France crossing the English channel where the car broke down. He contacted the factory who responded immediately by sending a fully qualified mechanic.

Months after the trip to France he remembered that he never noticed an invoice since the cost of a qualified, fully equipped mechanic must have been substantial. Curious, he prompted his office to inquire about it. Intermediately the factory responded. Dear sir, we do not know of an recent or otherwise repair in France since our automobiles do not break down

Stinkpotter Posted - 12/12/2021 : 20:35:33
Pretty soon you should replace the Catalina logo with the Hinckley wing.
zeil Posted - 12/12/2021 : 13:57:21
Thanks Peter... most days the workshop is a heaven for a couple of hours and contentment... with the boat up front.

We'll keep the spare blade in it's permanent place located in the aft berth next to the storage compartment.

You'll notice that the standard fixed rudder 77" blade fits within an inch in length and follows nicely the sole contour with the trailing edge of the blade turned down.

The blade's sharp edge is protected from doing potential damage to the aft berth cushions by using a 2" length of electrical, table saw slotted conduit simply held in place by two wrap-around ball-bungees

With the recent devastating and destructive flooding here on the west coast of British Columbia our lakes, rivers and certainly our coastal areas will be inundated with "floaties", such as dangerous deadheads, trees, logs and other debris not to speak of 100 or more sunken 40 ft shipping containers.

For that reason, having a spare rudder blade and an emergency tiller aboard may not just be "peace of mind".

bigelowp Posted - 12/10/2021 : 15:05:02
Henk:

Wish I had your work space -- and creativity!

Peter
zeil Posted - 12/09/2021 : 20:04:14

The boat is equipped as shown here, with a spare HDPE fixed rudder blade complete with emergency short tiller to fit aft of the wheel. The pintles are 1/2", spaced Catalina's standard 12" apart. The rudder has a draft of 32" below the hull-line

The rudder's trailing edge is protected during storage by using a short length of slotted 2" electrical conduit

If one or both gudgeons become disabled the rudder can be mounted using the mast carrier gudgeons which are placed next to the rudder gudgeons

zeil Posted - 12/02/2021 : 13:04:39

Thank you Wayne... We're still somewhat undecided about the name "Lady J", but if not now, it will be the "wingkeeler", for ever

The galley is nearing completion. Fun was to exclusively use re-purposed wood and successfully utilize existing Catalina factory drilled mounting holes
wm36 Posted - 12/01/2021 : 19:37:41
I like it Henk!

PS I see the new boat has a name now.
zeil Posted - 11/30/2021 : 15:18:00

Using only reclaimed teak which was salvaged from sailboats destroyed during a wicked storm here in White Rock, BC. some time ago. The white surface coated 1/2" plywood is "leftover". material from "Mariah".

The challenge in making this counter top extension was to use only existing Catalina factory drilled screw-holes in addition to the re-purposed wood. For that reason the end result shown above is a little unusual but still pleasing...

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page