Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 A new home
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Even Chance
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/01/2010 :  07:23:30  Show Profile
After nine years in Urbanna, VA, we're moving <i>Even Chance</i> to a new home in Deltaville, VA, about 17 miles downriver and around Stingray Point (named for Captain John Smith's near fatal encounter with the fish). We're moving from the Rappahannock River to the Piankatank, and will be just a couple of miles from the Chesapeake Bay, instead of three hours by boat (on a good day).

We've loved Urbanna, but the marina there has really deteriorated. It was sold three years ago to a Richmond-area real estate developer, who is in a multi-million dollar lawsuit with the town council over his plans to build expensive condos in the marina parking lot. In the meantime, the marina office/bathrooms/common room have significantly deteriorated (because in the new plans they'll be torn down, so why maintain them), staff have been let go and office hours cut back. Meanwhile, the owner has fallen in lust with crabbing, and the marina is now covered with shedding tanks and crab pots. Don't misunderstand -- I love crabs. If there were a discount on crabs to slipholders, that might be different. But a crabbing operation is not a yacht marina. My C25 is a humble boat, and I neither want nor can afford to dock at Ritz-Carltonesque marinas. But having to dodge crab pots in the parking lot is not what I had in mind.

For $ 25 per month more than I'm paying for a marina that has one commode and one shower stall per gender, water and electricity, and NO other amenities, we're moving to this: [url="http://www.fishingbay.com/"]Fishing Bay Marina[/url]. When the sailing day is done, gorgeous showers, the biggest pool on the peninsula, and West Marine and the Honda dealer a mile away. A thirty foot slip with an enormous fairway, picnic facilities, and easy access to the Bay.

What took me so long?

Brooke Willson
Deltaville, Virginia
Catalina 25 SKTR # 5050

Edited by - Even Chance on 05/01/2010 07:25:53

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2010 :  09:40:45  Show Profile
INDEED!! Great move!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

triley
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
251 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2010 :  17:16:51  Show Profile
I am at a low maintenance yacht club in Minnesota, and a high end marina in Kennebunkport, Maine. I love my Minnesota Yacht Club, and I like my Maine slip on the one day a year they have the owners appreciation barbecue by the only 5 star restaurant in Maine with interesting people who catch striped bass for fun. Enjoy your C 25 in whatever marina!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2010 :  17:41:14  Show Profile
Brooke,
Your new marina looks nice! Good move!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  05:22:24  Show Profile
A couple of miles from the Chesapeake? Great move! Fair winds.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  05:56:38  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Awesome! I would equate that to having a slip at the inlet. looks a little tight entering or leaving the marina but I guess that would also afford nice protection from the weather.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  07:01:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br />Awesome! I would equate that to having a slip at the inlet. looks a little tight entering or leaving the marina but I guess that would also afford nice protection from the weather.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Compared to the alley entrance I've been using for the last 9 years, Fishing Bay is an interstate.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

limey156
1st Mate

Members Avatar

89 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  07:47:54  Show Profile
Looks like a nice find! this is where I am moving to when i pick up my new to me '80 C25 SR/SK in a few weeks. just had it surveyed yesterday with A+ results.

http://www.hammockisland.com/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  09:01:29  Show Profile
what a great looking marina! I noticed the fuel dock is at the entrance...at our place, it's all the way towards the back/inside...it's a little tough for transients to get through the 'S' curve from the opening to the dock...ENJOY!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

leesorenson
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  15:23:59  Show Profile
Funny... My mom lives at Stingray Point!!! She is right across from a marina but I do not know the name of it but I do know it has showers as well... If you find out that there is a outdoor church gathering (warm weather only) across from you then look for the log cabin on Speck Ave... Names are Nanci and Don and would offer you any insight to the area if needed...

Best to you and the next time we visit the folks I will be looking for you...

lee

I just looked it up and it is the "Stingray Harbor Marina"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2010 :  18:30:45  Show Profile
Lee, we're on the southern side of the peninsula, behind Stove Point. Stingray Harbor is really nice, and it's a little quicker to the Bay. Fishing Bay is more protected from Nor'easters and closer to what little business district Deltaville has. As for church services -- I have my own to tend on Sundays!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page