Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Asking Price for 1989 C25 w/ Inboard Diesel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smp817
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/15/2010 :  12:32:23  Show Profile
I am putting my C25 1989 WK TR with Universal inboard diesel up for sale in Wichita, Kansas (Ninnescah Sailing Assoc.) and am trying to determine my asking price. I bought it for $17K in 2001, including the HD trailer. I probably overpaid then, but just want to get what it is worth now. Any advise?
I re-upholsered the cabin and replaced the head and alcohol stove. It's in pretty good shape, but need some minor work. The engine runs good. Has a pop top.
Hull #5883, Love & Luck.
SMP817

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2010 :  13:22:18  Show Profile
This is a beautiful boat with a non-launching but road worthy trailer. I have an opinion but will wait for others to speak up first.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2010 :  15:09:06  Show Profile
Your boat is almost not a C-25! According to Yachtworld, there is only <i>one other</i> like it on the market in the USA. A trailerable, diesel-powered cruising sailboat is almost an oxymoron, and there are very few boats as nice as the '89 C-25 (even with an outboard on a bracket). Your other primary competition is something like Seaward--not Catalina.

How urgent are you?

The other one listed on Yachtworld is in NC, and at $9,900 is substantially underpriced IMHO, although maybe for a reason... Considering the "comparable" non-Catalina boats on the market, if yours is "nice", I might start at around $15K--maybe $15.9 and see how the market comes to me. And I'd give it to a broker so it'll be shown on Yachtworld and marketed by other brokers. Let them have their 10% for (1)the exposure and network, and (2) the hassle-free sales process. You answer the phone, say "yes", and it's done--done right.

If you haven't already, put a coat of Cetol on all of your exterior teak, clear out the cabin, make her spotless, and put a shine on the topsides. "Curb appeal" will seal the deal by getting the buyer emotionally attached.

Good marketing is important--you want this boat to be visible to that particular buyer.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/15/2010 15:16:38
Go to Top of Page

smp817
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2010 :  17:42:59  Show Profile
Thanks for the good words, Dave. I know that my boat is unusual with the inboard. I think it came from the Chicago area originally. It's been in our club for at least 12 years. I haven't done the topsides shine or teak. Just haven't had the time, which is the reason I am selling it. I love the boat, just not a high enough priority.
My thinking is if I can sell it locally myself, I would rather do that. I wonder if the broker's price would be 10% higher than I can get myself. If I can't turn it by winter, I may go that route.
SMP817

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2010 :  18:28:52  Show Profile
My thinking (often called to question) is that locally, especially in the small market of Kansas, it's just a C-25, albeit a nice one, and therefore worth what a C-25 is perceived to be worth, which is likely not over $10K.

To a broader audience, it's one or more of the following: (1) the best and also rarest version of the C-25 ('89-91), (2) a much rarer diesel C-25, (3) a trailerable (non-wide-load) pocket cruiser with an inboard diesel. I'm thinking those things are worth more than your run-of-the-mill C-25 by a good deal more than the let's say $1500 (10%) a broker would take from the deal. Of course, if he can only get you a $12K deal, he'll take is $1.2K from that, too. But I'm not a broker--you could get another opinion from one of them.

I hope I didn't offend with my "small market" remark--it comes from living in a town where there are probably more <i>cruising sailboats</i> than in your whole state. Many are owned by people a hundred miles from here... and there are a lot more people within that radius who are thinking about their <i>next</i> (or <i>first</i>) sailboat. Your special buyer might be in MO, IL, OH, WI, MI,... --like you when you bought your "special find" in Chicago.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/15/2010 18:38:03
Go to Top of Page

smp817
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2010 :  21:25:19  Show Profile
No offense taken, Dave. I appreciate your point of view. That's exactly why I have asked the question.
SMP817

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2010 :  07:40:23  Show Profile
OK, Frank--I stuck my neck out... Your turn!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2010 :  10:30:16  Show Profile
I am not sure what the “value” for sales purposes might be but I agree that you need to broaden your geographic market to sell a boat with the unique and very positive features that your’s has. If you got he Craigslist route, make sure you have a couple good pictures and a detailed description – including the roadworthiness of the trailer. I would post the ad not just in the Midwest markets but pick a couple in the Gulf, East and West coasts as well. Finally, you might ask a large Catalina dealer what premium a diesel inboard might command.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

smp817
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2010 :  17:39:55  Show Profile
Well, Frank. I've got input from the larger markets. I'm waiting to hear what you think the local market would bear.
SMP817

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2010 :  19:34:03  Show Profile
I love the boat. I think that in our market the diesel is a problem because we have no real marina nor marine diesel mechanics. The boat is in great shape but not pristine and it does not have a proper sailboat trailer. M boat sold in hours on Sailing Texas for 12.5. The trailer makes it transportable to anywhere and I think the likely locale for it is a place where the trailer will get sold after the boat is launched. Locally there are a lot of boats for sale including some bottom feeder Catalina 25s that put some low prices in the market. I think Dave is spot on, 10 k locally and 12-13 on the national market. I cannot say enough about sailingtexas.com, I strongly suggest you advertise it there at 13k.

Good luck I hope it sells quickly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Harleyworker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2010 :  06:24:40  Show Profile
I wish you would have decided this last year, I would have jumped on it. I'm in Kansas city and would love to have the inboard diesel. And it's even a WK and a TR, man what a combo.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

smp817
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2010 :  07:43:14  Show Profile
Sorry, Harley. I should have sold it last year but I just couldn't give up on it. Haven't sailed for two years. It needs to be used.
SMP817

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

smacleod
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2010 :  18:43:16  Show Profile
I have a near identical boat that I bought this year #5729 1988 Catalina 25 with inboard Universal M12 - fin keel, draws 4 feet, 1900 lb ballast and poptop. I bought if from the 2nd owner who owned her for the last 19 years - excellent condition. I paid $7,500 - I think average listed retail was just over $8,000 in NADA listing. I think it was a fair deal. There is a large quantity of used sail boats in my area.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mikirwn
Deckhand

Members Avatar

1 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2010 :  21:42:55  Show Profile
I am in the market for a newer catalina 25, I have been searching this forum and learning more about the boat for a while. I would like to talk to about your boat and see some photos. Send me an email at mikirwn@yahoo.com so we can discuss.

Mike

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2010 :  05:16:13  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
(off topic)

Mast Confusion .... your boat is not listed in the [url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/owners.cgi?Owners_Search"]owners system[/url] ..... You can add it [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/owner_questionnaire.htm"]here[/url]

(end of off topic)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2010 :  12:44:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smacleod</i>
<br />I have a near identical boat that I bought this year #5729 1988 Catalina 25 with inboard Universal M12 - fin keel... I paid $7,500 - I think average listed retail was just over $8,000 in NADA listing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I'd call that a very good deal, not knowing the condition... But I'll also suggest that the 1988 is different from the 1989, which has the flat cabin sole with more headroom and several other more subtle changes; and the wing is a big advantage over the fin for those who want to transport and/or store on a trailer, or who have skinny water issues. Of course, markets and circumstances rule.

About NADA--their numbers are generally skewed downward by the "sales price" that's reported to state DMVs in order to reduce sales tax. You know... "What number do you want me to fill in here?" <i>Wink-wink.</i>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  15:22:41  Show Profile
As of today (9/12) there is an 86/TR with inboard diesel listed on EBAY. It looks like the "buy it now" price is $8,500.00 . . . .

Edited by - bigelowp on 09/13/2010 11:33:34
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  18:12:49  Show Profile
here's the way it is in the midwest.
i sail at carlyle lake in southern illinois.
i have a 88 tall rig, loaded with honda elect start 8hp, swing keel, furler with ullman sails.
interior is spotless in original cloth.
trailer is a ramp launch tandem.
like i said it is loaded, hull shines to 95% when it was new. wood is finished everyother year.

i have a line of three people that two have offered 14-15k.
i don't even want to sell it.

these guys selling in the 7-10 k must need new sails and lots oif work.

if its in good shape and your going to sell it for less than 10k let me know i will bring cash and tralier back to carlyle and make me 2-3k.

i think we let these non production anymore go too cheap.

of course, that's my opinion.

dave holtgrave
sk/tr
sailing carlyle lake in southern illinois

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page