Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Letter from survivor of Farralones Race
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pfduffy
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/30/2012 :  07:49:41  Show Profile
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2012-04-24#.T56djqvy9q1

Pat Duffy
1984 SK/SR #4113
SlĂ inte

Edited by - on

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:10:47  Show Profile
Wow! What a story. It seems like ocean racers have unusual challenges we see in these 2 recent tragedies, namely, rogue waves and commercial shipping at night.

Even if there is a rogue-wave watch, looking astern, for example, there is not much that can be done to save the boat.

The commercial shipping danger could be handled these days with an AIS-linked GPS, and it's surprising that such electronic safety equipment is not required in ocean races in shipping lanes. I've looked out into the pitch black night to see barges, or tugs, or freighters coming close, but in my inland waters I have always had a clear idea of their course because it's on the chart. On the ocean, it's just you and them, and they move towards you at 20 knots or something like that! Scary!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2012 :  14:14:00  Show Profile
After watching the video and reading the account, it doesn't sound like they got hit by two successive rogue waves. It sounds much more likely that they got too close to shore and sailed over a shoaling bottom, which caused the seas to rise up as the bottom shoaled, creating huge breaking waves. You would think that you could see big waves like that as you approach, and tack away to avoid them, but you don't always see and hear them in advance. I sailed into monster breakers similar to that years ago, and didn't see them until they were staring me in the face. It might be that, if you're in a trough when the wave is rising, you can't see how big it is. I'm not sure how they can sneak up on you, but just looking at the video, all the competitiors appear to be sailing awfully close to shore in awfully big seas. In milder conditions, they could probably have sailed closer to shore without problems, but big waves become much bigger as the bottom shoals. The lesson I would take from this incident would be, "as the size of the seas grow bigger, stay further off of a lee shore."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page