Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Which Battery to use?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rubin Hawkins
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/19/2003 :  14:19:41  Show Profile
Does anyone have experience with Optima Batteries? This is what I am looking at:

http://www.remybattery.com/350/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=171&subcat=170&cat=Troll+Fury

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/ <<This one has more information.

My first project is to install a second bank of batteries, selector switch and a Volt/Amp meter. This looks like a low maintenance package that will be an easy install. I am seriously considering getting two of these and getting rid of the Exide battery that came with. It was completely dead when I got it. This way I can put one on each side of the fresh water tank in the V Berth for ballance and get weight off the stern.

Rubin
Windy Joy
C250 WB #591

Edited by - Rubin Hawkins on 05/20/2003 10:22:07

Edited by - on

n/a
deleted

Members Avatar

3 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2003 :  20:49:37  Show Profile
Rubin, I was just about to buy two Optimas because I liked the maintenance free features of AGM batteries. I checked out the Interstate batteries web site and found out that not only do they sell Optima batteries but they also sell there own brand of AGM deep cell batteries. The Interstate group 24 AGMs were $87.95 each, which was much cheaper than the Optimas that were rated at 75 Amps. The warranty was replacement for up to 12 months, then prorated to 36 months, not quite as good as the Optimas. Since I just put in the pair of batteries this weekend I have no idea how long they will last. I've got to believe that the Optimas are better because of the price difference, but I don't know if they are that much better. Perhaps, someone on the forum can tell me if the one's I bought are crap.

The location you picked should be optimum for weight distribution. I ended up leaving mine in the stern. I replaced a single group 31 (about 65 lbs.) with the two group 24 AGMs (about 54 lbs each), so I gained just over 40 lbs. Looks like I'm going to have stuff the cooler with more beer to balance the load.

Regards,
Kevin Ray - WB250 #469

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Rubin Hawkins
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2003 :  10:29:02  Show Profile
Kevin,

Were you able to buy that interstate battery on line? If so please send me a link. I called a local interstate distributor and they quoted me 119.99 but only after I insisted the battery acutally existed. They wanted to sell me Optima. Sure wish I could hear from someone who has actually paid the price for an Optima and would gladly do so again.

ALSO: Do you have an AC charger installed or do you just use the outboard alternator? Does anyone have an AC charger they can suggest?

Rubin
Windy Joy
C250 WB #591

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Members Avatar

3 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2003 :  12:57:26  Show Profile
Rubin, I bought the batteries from the Interstate Battery store here in Charlotte, NC, after finding out about the battery online. I found it online by accident after drilling through the links on the Optima battery. Here is the link on the Interstate AGM: http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/specs/dcs_75bt.pdf

I am using a Guest 2 phase battery charger that I wired with a cigarette plug in the starboard coaming compartment in the cockpit. Full charge with that charger is 3 Amps. Interstate Batteries sold me another charger that they said would not cook the AGMs but I had to return it. With all the stuff I have wired in the boat, the charger could not detect that the batteries were fully charged. The Guest charger I got from West Marine is successfully detecting when the batteries are fully charged so I'm sticking with that one. I leave the charger plugged in whenever the boat is at home, which is most of the time.

Regards,
Kevin Ray - WB250 #469

Edited by - kcray on 05/20/2003 14:56:54

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jack Kirkpatrick
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2003 :  22:03:56  Show Profile
Check Sams Club (Wal Mart) they sell an Exion version of the Optima battery and I believe the price was less than $100.00. The technology is the same as the Optima.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zig zag
Deckhand

Members Avatar

16 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2003 :  22:22:53  Show Profile
I have used Optimas in the past and found that they work very well. One big plus is no explosive gases while charging.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page