Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New Sheaves "To Much Play" ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roberoo
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
182 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/22/2005 :  22:33:10  Show Profile  Visit roberoo's Homepage
I put all new sheaves (Nylon Non-Bearing ones from CD)in this weekend. It looks as if there is about an 1/8th inch of play between sheaves and the aluminum separator. Is this too much play? And if so can I use washers to get rid of the play?

Oh yes this a wire to all rope conversion.

Thanks

Bob Sirekis
"Wind Between The Sheets"
83 SR/FK #3551
Erie Basin marina D-19
Buffalo, New York

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2005 :  22:52:02  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by roberoo</i>
<br />I put all new sheaves (Nylon Non-Bearing ones from CD)in this weekend. It looks as if there is about an 1/8th inch of play between sheaves and the aluminum separator. Is this too much play? And if so can I use washers to get rid of the play?

Oh yes this a wire to all rope conversion.

Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bob,

There are masthead divider plates made to go between the sheaves. These plates take up the space between the sheaves and also keep the lines separated and on the sheave.

My CD book lists them for $8.70 each. Depending on the space between the sheaves, you may need more than one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

roberoo
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
182 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2005 :  22:42:19  Show Profile  Visit roberoo's Homepage
Okay that makes sense. How much is too much play? Should there be any side to side movement?

Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5936 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:10:20  Show Profile
The problem with having play between the sheaves is that the halyard might jump off the sheave and get jammed between them. When that happens, you can't get the sail up or down. Wire halyards are so thin that even a little bit of extra space can be a problem. Since you have changed to all-rope, I wouldn't think that 1/8" would be excessive. If you put a spacer in there to take up some of the room, the spacer should be at least the same diameter as the sheaves.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 05/24/2005 10:21:12
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2005 :  18:40:01  Show Profile
This picture shows the masthead divider plate.


Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1774 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2005 :  08:40:32  Show Profile
<font color="blue">This picture shows the masthead divider plate. - Don</font id="blue">

Thanks for posting that photo Don ... it reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time.

Why are there four sheaves in the masthead instead of two

I hope I'm not missing something obvious ...

edit: My boat has internal halyards ... I'm thinking that internal halyards require only two sheaves, while external halyards require four ... is that correct?

Edited by - Buzz Maring on 05/26/2005 09:32:26
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2005 :  09:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
yes

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

roberoo
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
182 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2005 :  00:46:18  Show Profile  Visit roberoo's Homepage
Okay here is what I ended up doing to be safe. I already had the single aluminum spacer. And I ordered a second spacer from CD (They're Great). Now I figure if for some reason I have to much play I can sandwich fender washers between the 2 aluminum spacers. But the second spacer should be enough.
Can't figure why there would be play in the first place but thius should work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.