Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT - Sears stores
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/27/2018 :  08:51:01  Show Profile
I realize this is not a sailing topic directly, but I’ve purchased plenty of solid gear for the boat from Sears throughout the years. Batteries, tools, hardware like SS bolts, cables, etc. It seems they’re in bankruptcy, however two weeks ago I bought a great snowblower and yard tools, and the place was packed!
Checking their website today following their chapter 7 announcement, their inventory is still available and the local store looks busy on Google maps.
With the holiday season approaching I’d be surprised if they didn’t get busier!
Any thoughts on what might happen going forward?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  09:30:04  Show Profile
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-biz-sears-closing-20181015-story.html br /

Looks like the Milford Sears may be slated for closure. My guess is they all will eventually.

As for store traffic, I think it's a psychological thing. When people feel something will be in short supply, they flock to buy it, even before discounts are offered.

There is a fairly large regional hardware chain that is completely closing here in California and it has been unbelievably busy since the announcement. It's 40-70% off now and pretty picked over. Sears can transfer inventory to open stores so you probably won't see big clearance discounts.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 10/27/2018 09:31:22
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  10:08:17  Show Profile
The craziest thing about Sears is that they got started “online”, or really on catalog. They pretty much invented shopping in your PJs, only now instead of a paper catalog, we look at pictures in an electronic catalog. They could have been a first mover in the online business.
And back in the early days of the internet they had Prodigy, a precursor or contemporary to AOL. Talk about wasting an opportunity!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  11:37:29  Show Profile
Well said Bruce.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  12:56:38  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

The craziest thing about Sears is that they got started “online”, or really on catalog. They pretty much invented shopping in your PJs, only now instead of a paper catalog, we look at pictures in an electronic catalog. They could have been a first mover in the online business.
And back in the early days of the internet they had Prodigy, a precursor or contemporary to AOL. Talk about wasting an opportunity!

I grew a "service brat" (USAF) and we spent 7 years overseas and before that on remote AF bases so the Sears catalog was always a constant in our house.
I'm afraid the writing was on the wall when they sold off Craftsman tools.
Interesting the photo they are using in most of the articles is of the Art Deco Sears here in Brooklyn within walking distance of me. Have not been over there yet to see if they are boarded up yet.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  15:21:06  Show Profile
I'm fairly certain Amazon wouldn't exist if Sears had grasped the opportunity to have orders placed online and have the product delivered from the local store............

I owned a specialty retail store for over twenty years. I opened it in the mid 90's, some where around 1999/2000 I told my wife that this internet "thing" will boil the product down to the lowest price.

Many years later I knew the end was near when I noticed customers scanning bar codes on their phones, to find the lowest price online.

And, a few years ago, while doing some handyman work for a friends daughter, a package was delivered. It was a box of paper towels.........

We have a Dollar General three minutes down the road...........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  15:29:21  Show Profile
I too knew it was over for Sears when they sold the Craftsman line. Not sure if they also sold Kenmore along with it. Those two were their bread and butter. Their clothing line, Especially woman's wear could never overcome the old stoggy stigma.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  16:40:55  Show Profile
They still own the Kenmore name however recently they announced that they plan to stop making any new appliances under that name. They should definitely sell the rights to another manufacturer.

My 20 year-old Lady Kenmore washer recently stopped working and I found a place in Ohio where the owner sold and serviced a lot of different brands including Speed Queen, which I was considering.

When I told him my situation on the phone he told me “you have one of the best machines ever built!, don’t you dare get rid of it” “You can fix the problem easily and cheaply.”

I got $25 in generic parts to fix it and now it’s back to 100%.

Que lastima!
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  18:13:57  Show Profile
Did the same with my kenmore 80 series washer. Bought it in 99. About 45$ in parts a few years ago and it's still runs. It's really a whirlpool rebranded a Kenmore. Speed queen is my choice for a replacement. Excellent reviews but pricey.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/28/2018 04:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2018 :  08:03:23  Show Profile
Mega-millions reached a $Billion last week, and I wondered what I would do if I won something like that--where would I start? Who would I call? Jeff Bezos lost $14 BILLION in personal net worth in one day recently when the market dinged Amazon... Every once in a while I have to remind myself that a billion is a thousand millions. Jeff has about 150 of the B type. I just can't wrap my brain around it.

Some day our grandchildren will be chuckling about what happened to Amazon--the thing their grandparents thought was the great future on that thing they called the "internet", with their "computers" wired into it...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2018 :  11:59:05  Show Profile
Sears once owned not only Craftsman and Kenmore, but Allstate and Discover Card as well. If there management had focused on the long-term vs quarter to quarter they could still be a powerhouse like Walmart and Amazon. While Eddie Lambert, a hedge fund guy, has been putting nails in the coffin one by one over the past few years, it was Sears management in the 80's who put them on the downward spiral course that seems to always end in Chapter 11 or 7. There's a lesson in Sears for current generation business leaders !

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2018 :  13:26:15  Show Profile
I bought my Craftsman electric drill in 1971. It is reversible, has variable speed, and it can be set at any constant speed. No new drill I have bought, used up, and discarded since then has outperformed this tool that was designed and made in the USA!

I open it up and oil it every 10 years or so.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2018 :  06:15:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I noticed in Lowes, the other day, they are now selling Craftsman tools along with their own brand (Kobalt) and all the brands they normally carry.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2018 :  07:54:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

I noticed in Lowes, the other day, they are now selling Craftsman tools along with their own brand (Kobalt) and all the brands they normally carry.

And they are bringing production back to the U.S. as well as honoring the lifetime warranty where it applies.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2018 :  09:11:21  Show Profile
Stanley Black & Decker now owns Craftsman, and has a deal with Lowes to sell the products. From the Lowes website: "The CRAFTSMAN warranty is a dedication to a lifetime of quality and service for every CRAFTSMAN customer, generation to generation." (Do they mean "forever"??)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2018 :  18:10:08  Show Profile
Yep

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page