Notice:
The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.
Passage, my C25, will be hauled out next week. In a typical year, I’d generally haul around the end of October, however, this year my marina will be dredging, so our deadline to vacate is the weekend of October 17. It’s been a cooler and wetter than average fall season, so it’s probably good to be hauling early.
In winter, I generally remove all water (e.g.: washing water for the sinks, bottled drinking water, port-o-potty blue water, etc) to prevent freezing. I also bring home any summer clothing, hoodies, and beach towels for a spin in the washing machine, but I leave my spare down coat, wool hat, and gloves. I remove the interior cushions.
I prep my engine by running fresh water through before haulout with a little “Saltaway” to clear out the cooling passages in the engine. Once on the hard I’ll change the engine oil and bottom unit oil, and check the spark plugs. I don’t remove the engine in the secure boatyard, but I have a padlock and cable to deter theft.
I’ll take down the sails and remove the boom, and remove the sheets. I also remove docklines to lessen the effects of UV on them over the winter.
As soon as the boat is hauled, I remove the rudder to prevent it from freezing. Others have had their rudders damaged by water intrusion into the core, then a freeze will expand the core beneath the skins, and create cracks along the forward or rear edges of the rudder.
I keep the battery in the boat all winter. I maintain the battery charge using a small solar panel. This allows me lighting and radio during my visits to the boat over the winter.
My boatyard requires that I drop the mast, so I use the standard A-frame method with the mainsheet to control the mast coming down. I built an adjustable height “mast catcher” that sits in the rear of the cockpit by the transom with a V-shaped notch to cradle the mast as it comes down. Once caught, I reset the height adjuster so the mast lays horizontal across the bow pulpit, the cabintop, and the stern.
I strap the furler to the mast with a 1 by 3 board to support the furler spindle end, preventing it from dangling beyond the foot of the mast.
I don’t use shrink wrap, instead I use two large tarps to cover the boat. The mast acts as a ridge and I use about a dozen 1” PVC pipes to support the tarps to allow snow and ice to slide off the tarp.
I’m sure that you all have your own favorite haulout preps and techniques. Mast up, engine off, pink antifreeze, battery out, etc. What advice do you have?
Bruce Ross Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032 Port Captain — Milford, CT
I use only ethanol free gas in my small engines and antique car engines and never have them gum up from winter storage. With ethanol free gas I don't need to use Sta-Bil in the engines. There appear to be two stations in your areas that sell it. They are at 19 Danbury Rd and 84 West St. It usually costs about $1.00 more than regular gas.
People can find locations that sell ethanol free gas in their area at this website: https://www.pure-gas.org/
Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind" previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22 Past Commodore
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ. The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.