Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Flipper Pump(s)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/09/2020 :  09:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Do most of you use the Flipper Pumps? When replacing do you use a specific brand? I see re-build kits out there but on mine I don't see a brand or model number so I'd be reluctant to purchase one.

I was toying with the idea of hooking up a motor driven pump but that involves a bit of wiring and a switch of some sort or a pressure system that 'cycles' also complex.
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2020 :  19:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get replacement flipper pumps made by Whale. You can read more about them here: https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10016&Product_ID=10023&FriendlyID=Whale-Flipper-Galley-Pump-hand-operated

If you want to switch to pressurized water, I'd suggest a Shurflo Aqua King Junior. The pump automatically detects when you open a faucet. You can run the electrical wires to one of the switches on your existing electrical panel - just make sure the fuse can handle everything else on that circuit with an additional 3.5A draw. You can read more about the pump here: https://www.pentair.com/en/products/water-supply-pumps/marine-water-delivery/aqua-king-ii-junior-2-01.html

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 10/09/2020 19:39:09
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2020 :  06:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a flipper pump in the head sink. I recently rebuilt it and it provides me with all the water I need for hand washing and dish washing.

I keep the galley sink dry to avoid using 2 through hulls.

A pumped system is nice if you’ll use it a lot, however, if I did get a pump type, I’d go with a foot switch over an auto-sense type. Less things to break or freeze up during winter cold snaps (of course, the system would have to be drained and winterized to avoid problems).

Reviewing the literature, if I had a fixed head and holding tank instead of a porta-potty, I’d definitely consider a pressurized system.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/11/2020 07:00:59
Go to Top of Page

mheds5116
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2020 :  18:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced the Whale pump faucets in my 1982. Originally bought the refurb kits but the faucets were so filled with mildew/black mold that I returned the kits and ordered new ones. Very easy to install, work like a charm. Like others, we just use the head sink for hand washing, the galley sink doesn't get used much but it's operational.

Two Pisces
1982 C-25 SR/SK #2740
Lake Pepin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page