Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Off-season projects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/09/2021 :  17:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last weekend my wife and I sailed Passage upriver to its Winter storage marina. Passage was hauled and put up on jackstands in the rear part of the yard. There are between 12 and 16 sailors among us most years, the rest are power.
I removed sails and drained the engine fuel and oil. I removed tiller and rudder to prevent freezing.
This year I plan to completely empty the storage areas, clean everything out with a cleaner like fantastic or windex, and sort out all the junk. We have an ample dumpster at the marina.
Here are the projects I have listed for this season:
1. Portlights - I’m probably going with the CD kit to rebuild the fixed windows. The openable windows aren’t leaking so I’ll leave well enough alone with these.
2. Engine - it’s finally time to replace it. A Tohatsu with an electric start and alternator seems like a best buy…
3. Mast top - it’s time to check the rigging, the windvane, the VHF antenna and fix the anchor light (AGAIN!).

That’s my top 3. I’m sure more items will pop up throughout the season, but that’s enough for now.
How about you all?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 11/10/2021 20:45:57

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2021 :  06:20:44  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far, only items to work on off-season:
1) Replace "Catalina 25" logo on port side. It broke off. Ordered new logos via Catalina Direct.
2) Replace VBerth starboard side light fixture. Lens broke. Ordered LED fixture via Catalina Direct. I guess I could also replace the fixture on the port side but did not think of that till now. If starboard side install goes okay, maybe I'll order another one for the other side....just so they match. (Anyway, I very rarely, if ever, use the VBerth lights...but needs replacement.)

Nothing else really needs attention......maybe replacement sails but I wouldn't call this a project. My Quantum sails are now about 14-15 years old and still pretty good....but new sails would be nice! This year...next year...not sure right now. Main sails have some stretch and Genoa is wearing off some of the sunbrella UV cover off the foot of the sail (due to passing over the lifelines).

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 11/11/2021 06:21:51
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2021 :  15:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

2. Engine - it’s finally time to replace it. A Tohatsu with an electric start and alternator seems like a best buy…

But Bruce, my shiny new Honda?? It's only... ummmm... well... 19 years old. OK, I guess I lost track of time.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/11/2021 15:41:23
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2021 :  06:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: Great projects, but a word of warning regarding the Portlights. The gasket that CD sells does not fit all models. I found out the hard way -- and they confirmed. If you want a CD gasket kit I will give you one as it did not work on my 1980 aluminum window model. I ended up carefully repurposing the old and then using caulk -- tons of it -- to get the windows sealed and NOT leaking. BTW I have had cleaning the dumpster for years, for some reason I never get to it -- might be getting in and out could be embarrassing!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2021 :  06:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to the actuator replacement on my C-22 trailer that I've already discussed in another thread (still have to bleed the brake line, this week, hopefully), I have ordered a new Rolly Tasker main and working jib from National Sail Supply in Florida. We'll have a few days in the high 60's this week before another cold front moves in. I've already spent about $400 on my old 4 hp Mariner 2-stroke outboard that I use for racing. It's noisier than the 5 hp Merc 4-stroke, but about 15 lbs lighter and always starts. I had to replace the impeller, but the head broke off the nut on the connector piece that attaches the lower unit shifter rod to the shift lever rod. I had to take it to the shop to get it drilled out. It's a workhorse and those motors are almost impossible to find anymore. Hopefully, I'll get to race again next year and actually use the motor.
After Thanksgiving, I'll likely drop the mast, pull the fuel tank and battery, and put a full cover tarp over her until Spring.
Maybe order a new racing genoa later this winter. The Tasker main should suffice for racing.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/16/2021 07:01:11
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2021 :  07:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A hint that worked well for me on cleaning the dumpster after clearing things out of it. Buy a new string mop. It should reach all the way to the deepest part of the dumpster.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2021 :  19:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't intend to stop the thread with my remarks. Please continue telling us about your fall /winter projects.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2021 :  19:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave B —
Yes the shiny, new Honda has been a trusty workhorse for years. I’ve used it for taking Passage in and out of the harbor, motor sailing on long trips sailing against the current or with strong headwinds, on a run when winds are light or anytime that I need to replenish the battery if solar isn’t cutting it. The engine is not dead by any means and probably has a lot more life in it, but certain signs tell me that I can’t always trust that it’ll start on the first pull, or run every time I need to safely pass the over falls, boils or reefs. In the spring I’ll offer it for sale and hopefully it’ll go to a good home — maybe a dink, or a lake angler who needs a spare for a tin boat.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2021 :  18:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Peter, I appreciate your advice on your experience with the portlights. I have no expectations that I’ll be able to replace the seals first time through, and figured that it would be a unique learning experience. I’m wondering whether I should use a ton of butyl tape to surround the glass or try to rebuild the core in the windows area. Whatever happens, I’ve got to fix it because the rain is coming in at will and my interior cushions have borne the brunt of it.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2021 :  10:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dave B —... I can’t always trust that it’ll start on the first pull, or run every time I need to safely pass the over falls, boils or reefs...
Huh??

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2021 :  16:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a bunch of projects lined up, if only I can get time to get up to the boat!
- replace rope-to-wire halyards with rope, replace masthead sheaves to pass rope
- add CD plate below mast step with attachment points for blocks, install line organizer, clutch, and cabin top winch on port side. This will allow running the main halyard and first single-line reefing line to the cockpit.
- install and run power for a Raymarine ST-1000+ tiller pilot
- install and run power for an electric bilge pump to supplement the manual one
- add an anti-siphon loop to the “downstream” side of the head (between head and holding tank)
- replace the paddlewheel in the knotmeter
- get a slightly bigger tablet mount so I can stick my old iPad in the companionway with iNavX on it
- move the shore power battery charger so it’s wired directly to the shore power supply with a breaker, currently it permanently consumes one of the shore power outlets
- deep clean everything I can reach to get up old sand, PO dog fur, etc. stuck in crevices and corners
If I can get through all of that before Tax Day I will be pleasantly surprised indeed, but I will also have a delightful sailing season.

1985 C25 SR/FK/Trad. “Puffin III” - #5040
Sailing Lake Michigan out of Michigan City, IN
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2021 :  17:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Hlprmnky —
That sounds like a monumental list of tasks. Perhaps you should prioritize them?

Sounds like the electrical projects are pretty high on your list, so may I suggest that you set up several 12VDC outlets near to where you need power? (Under the gunwales for the auto-tiller, in the bilge for the bilge pump, near the battery for the charger).

Seems like the mast needs to come down — wire halyards and mast tabernacle plate. I’d look to do that around March when we get an unseasonably mild stretch of weather (hopefully).

Deep clean — I’d look to do that in stages. Spend two hours at a time by making a list: vee berth, head, salon, quarterberth, bilges, fender locker (aka dumpster), fuel locker and cockpit. That’s 7 weekends and you still have time to do other things.

Some would say,”who needs a paddle wheel knot meter?!?!” I like mine very much, but if you have a GPS aboard, why on earth would you need an inherently inaccurate stone tool that should have been retired with LORAN and dead reckoning?

My answer is an emphatic BECAUSE!!!

I can’t comment on the marine head since I have a porta-potty (which suits my needs perfectly) and I have no practical knowledge of the fixed variety.

Good luck with your projects.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 11/23/2021 17:41:34
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2021 :  17:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, I really liked your HUH?!?!
Yea, overfalls. According to the Internet gods here’s a reference:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/overfalls

Me personally I’ve experienced their turbulence around eastern LISound like near The Race, near Kelsey Pt, Black Pt and Bartlett Reef where strong currents flow up from deep waters rising towards shallow rocky shoal areas and cause very turbulent flow, especially in strong opposing winds. This can really affect sailboat navigation.
But since powerboaters can just crank up the throttle, they’d probably never even notice them.
Whoops! Musta hit another speed bump!

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 11/23/2021 17:58:26
Go to Top of Page

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2021 :  18:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mast is already down for the season, I paid to have the yard do it when they hauled her specifically because I knew the masthead and step plate work were on my list for the winter. It was expensive but I have resigned myself to a certain amount of extra expense as I learn my way around boat ownership.
As to the knotmeter, sure I have GPS but I also have DMI depth and knotmeters, probably original to the boat, that work perfectly other than the current paddlewheel being out of paddles - even the backlights still work! Why wouldn’t I spend $40 and an hour to restore it to 100% functionality?
GPS on a handheld device is a modern wonder and for safety and convenience I would never willingly be without it, but having it doesn’t mean I am compelled to use it all the time, when a compass and knotmeter and chart are all inexpensive and easy to store and use.
Thanks for the advice and well wishes, I will be sure to update the thread as to progress or lack thereof in the spring.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2021 :  18:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the definition of "overfalls" Bruce. I never knew what to call them.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2021 :  21:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the third year in a row, my project is . . . . . repainting the non-skid on the forward bow deck. Local boat yard tells me it is a lost cause because of moisture levels indicated by moisture meter. My research says different. Besides one season of not slipping off is worth needing to redo project more frequently if moisture is an issue.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2021 :  14:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: "Passing over falls" is not quite the same as passing an overfall.

There a big one just off the west tip of Fishers Island (NY/CT) where there's about a 150'- 200' underwater cliff in The Race where the tide flows into and then back out of Long Island Sound. At full flow in either direction it looks like a giant washing machine with water flying into the air. Even though the shallow part is something like 30' deep, I steer clear.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2021 :  07:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any of you guys ever watch the show about catching big blue fin tuna off the Outer Banks? There was one episode recently showing those guys going back out in rough weather having to navigate 10-12' swells leaving the harbor. WOW! That's gutsy. One smaller boat had to follow right on the stern of a larger boat to make it out.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2021 :  13:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Portlights — I’ve been wondering about the right way to go on this because I’ve heard that the CD kit works for some but not all Catalina windows. I’m wondering whether anybody has simply used Butyl Tape to seal the glass against the aluminum frames? Once the butyl tape is tight against the outside, do you have to add any spacers on the inside to keep the glass snug against the tape? How would you do that? Hard foam core?
Of course when I open up the windows, I’ll have to fill the any open space (where there once was core) between the fiberglass skins with thickened epoxy layered in.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 12/30/2021 21:05:54
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2022 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...Of course when I open up the windows, I’ll have to fill the any open space (where there once was core) between the fiberglass skins with thickened epoxy layered in.
I'm dubious about filling the void with a lot of epoxy... I think part of having two fiberglass moldings with wood, foam, or honeycomb between them, besides saving weight, is allowing some resilience in the structure. Where substantial resin is involved, fiberglass matting is layered into it for similar reasons.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2022 :  06:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce -- In the C25 Specific Forum, topic: "Taking on Water", halfway down Leon Sission's post touches upon his replacing his windows and using butyl tape, etc. You might want to reach out to him to compare notes of what he did and issues he had to deal with.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct

Edited by - bigelowp on 01/02/2022 06:53:04
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2022 :  09:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Times change but still maybe worthwhile searching the archives if you haven’t already. At various times there has been much discussion about the issues related to rebedding the portlights.

My first project upon buying our C25, other than cleaning, was to remove and rebed the portlight in the quarter-berth and I relied greatly on the discussions at the time. One issue was that the space between the inner and outer walls differed markedly over the height of the portlight and somewhat fore and aft. Not wanting any future risk of water in that space I inserted foam weather seal (circular cross section) down about 1.5” if memory serves me and filled the gap with thickened epoxy. I used 3/8” foam along the bottom and 1/4” along the top. Do it in steps and take care to ensure that the portlight and its frame remain properly aligned and spaced. Once cured I drilled as needed and inserted barrel nuts to receive the screws in the final install. No evidence of any leaking since. That said, there are others much more experienced than me.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2022 :  19:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow, I’ve been away for awhile. Frankly, it’s still too damned cold to do anything on the boat. I don’t use a heater aboard due to dangers of CO poisoning and fires.
Hoping that spring might come a little early this year.
Yes, I’ve seen folks fill their core areas with balsa or other light wood or hard foam. I just finished an insulation project in my shed where I used hard pink foam boards (R-9) to keep the full blast of the cold and wind outside. I’ve got a lot of good sized pieces of scrap leftover.
@peter, I might call you about your CD window kits if you still have them.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2023 :  04:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An old thread, but completed a project I had hoped to have done years ago -- resurfacing the non-skid on the bow/side deck. Background, the bow deck non-skid is almost smooth and tan color no longer. Very slippery when going forward, especially picking up mooring, etc. Originally spoke to local yard to do job but they refused as moisture meter showed high moisture. I can go on of hours about what Learned about moisture in older fiberglass boat decks -- even more about what paint companies, such as Awlgrip opined. In short, not such-mucha issue. In April while walking around the boat yard I keep the boat in winter saw a truck with signage "boat painting" and found the guy. He was working on a Sabre 38, a boat that is moored summers in the same cove I am in. The owner was on board (turns out he remembered my son who was launch operator at his yacht Club) Anyway the guy raved about the boat painter -- and the work looked top notch. So he looked at my boat, gave me a quote on the spot -- which was really inexpensive (at least for where I live) and got the job. Sanded/grind off old non skid, epoxy on the deck, then sprayed Awlgrip with non-skid paint. The result is far better than I had ever hoped! Similar to when I had bottom done with barrier coat a bit costly but WOW what an improvement! So one project from 2019 complete. Now on to the 2020 list . . . .

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct

Edited by - bigelowp on 06/09/2023 18:05:44
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2023 :  06:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, congratulations! You seem very delighted by the job, and it’s wonderful to have a new surface on the decks.
Of late I am beginning to realize that sometimes it’s wa-a-a-ay better to hire a skilled craftsman to do a specific job than try to DIY it.
What they can do in a few hours’ time can take me several weekends: identifying the materials, buying the materials, doing it wrong the first time, reading up on how to do it right, doing it more or less right, then cleaning up. That’s the “slow and painful” method.
Picking your projects is the better part of valor…

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2023 :  11:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up not getting my boat in the water at all last season, but now she is in her slip with the following items from my 2021 list completed:
- Halyard sheaves and halyards replaced (also reefing line, Genoa sheets, and furling drum line)
- Original DC service panel replaced with new one from CD to add some more accessory switches
- Electric bilge pump installed
- Tiller pilot installed (this past Sunday)
- Knotmeter/log paddlewheel replaced
- Interior and exterior (barring the nooks and crannies in the back of the dumpster/transom area) deep cleaned

In addition, I’ve realized I don’t require a vented loop on the tank side of the head, since the tank has no outlet other than a deck pump out fitting (she’s a Great Lakes boat), the tablet mount is actually the right size and just needed different little tabs that I got off Amazon for $8 last winter, and all the additional deck hardware to add more control lines to the cockpit is unneeded at least for now, since I can set my reefing line up to work as a single-line system and then I just have the main halyard, so my two blocks/two-line organizer/two clutches is sufficient.

I do still have a couple small projects I want to tackle during the season, adding some LED strip lighting in the cabin and installing the Origo alcohol cooker in the spot where the old pressurized one used to be, but right now the Puffin III is in excellent shape for the season.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page