Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sailing video
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AUAE
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/22/2022 :  10:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a short video of us sailing our C25 on Lake Guntersville last November. Launching and catching a drone from a 25-ft sailboat is fairly stressful - not sure if I'm brave enough to try it in anything more than a light breeze!
https://youtu.be/CSCAu-LFkQ0

Kav Eldredge
1990 TR/WK #6001 "Ocean Liner"
Birmingham, AL

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2022 :  10:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW ... VERY COOL!!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2022 :  11:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet!

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2022 :  14:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done! For anyone wondering how well the C-25 does on genny alone, there it is! (My old proverb: "Pull one string and you're sailing--pull another and you're done.") Your drone is a great videographer!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2022 :  15:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great video, thanks for sharing!

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2022 :  15:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Academy awards short film winner!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2022 :  09:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may have a bright future career in marketing. Think about it…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2022 :  21:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I to fly drones. What were you flying to get the above video? I’ve thought about doing this off my boat. Where on your boat did you try to launch and retrieve?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2022 :  11:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW -- so well done Kav!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2022 :  23:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GaryB - I have a Mavic Air 2. To launch and retrieve, I stood on a cockpit seat and reached out over the water to launch and catch the drone by hand. The first time when I didn't have any sails up, I had the outboard in gear and at just enough speed to attempt to counteract the current. Then it wasn't too hard to fly the drone close enough so I could grab it. For the sunset flight, I know I had the outboard running, but I don't remember what we did with the sails. The wind was so light, I think we decided to head into the wind at just above idle with the sails still up and caught the drone that way. I made sure to start trying to retrieve the drone with plenty of battery left in case I needed multiple attempts.

Kav Eldredge
Birmingham, AL
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2022 :  17:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. I have a Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic 2, and a Mini 2.

I may try it using the Mini 2 in case things go south. Much less money to lose. #128563;

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2022 :  18:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful video. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2022 :  21:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AUAE

GaryB - I have a Mavic Air 2. To launch and retrieve, I stood on a cockpit seat and reached out over the water to launch and catch the drone by hand. The first time when I didn't have any sails up, I had the outboard in gear and at just enough speed to attempt to counteract the current. Then it wasn't too hard to fly the drone close enough so I could grab it. For the sunset flight, I know I had the outboard running, but I don't remember what we did with the sails. The wind was so light, I think we decided to head into the wind at just above idle with the sails still up and caught the drone that way. I made sure to start trying to retrieve the drone with plenty of battery left in case I needed multiple attempts.

I was just watching your video again. You have a really pretty sailing venue and did a great job editing the video.

I'm in need of a new bimini and would like to order another just like it but the tag is missing as to what model it is. I noticed yours looks very similar to mine. Any chance you could take a peek at the label on yours and let me know the make and model number?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2022 :  20:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary - I don't remember noticing a tag on the bimini. I thought I'd have time to stop by the boat today, but too many other things got in the way of that plan. I'll see if I can find a tag the next time I'm at the boat. My bimini came with the boat and I've thought about replacing it, but for now we're getting by with a coat of scotchgard.
Glad you liked the video. I'm not sure if I have enough footage from our trip this summer to make another video this year. I didn't get to fly the drone - we were in restricted airspace pretty much the whole time while sailing out of Ft. Morgan, AL.

Kav Eldredge
Birmingham, AL
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2022 :  04:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bass Pro Shop....big Ol bass net on a long pole.... swat that baby...

Love the video and lovely boat. I've heard the Eagles were wonderful up there, and plenty of them. We have a few on Lake Eufaula.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2022 :  14:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AUAE

Gary - I don't remember noticing a tag on the bimini. I thought I'd have time to stop by the boat today, but too many other things got in the way of that plan. I'll see if I can find a tag the next time I'm at the boat. My bimini came with the boat and I've thought about replacing it, but for now we're getting by with a coat of scotchgard.
Glad you liked the video. I'm not sure if I have enough footage from our trip this summer to make another video this year. I didn't get to fly the drone - we were in restricted airspace pretty much the whole time while sailing out of Ft. Morgan, AL.

Thanks Kav, would appreciate it.

Sorry for the slow response. Life's gotten in the way the past few weeks.

MY old bimini was made by Carver. I'd highly recommend them. Very well made.

Mine was over 10 years old and still in decent shape when someone decided to steal part of the tubing. I know it was stolen because they drilled out a couple of the pop rivets to get the piece they needed.

Tried to get a new piece from Carver but they want close to $150 for just a short piece with a curve in it and I would have to order that piece from one of the dealers since they don't sell direct.

When I discovered it had been stolen I hadn't been down to the boat in a few weeks and apparently the fabric being loose and the wind blowing it ripped the Sunbrella cloth all to pieces and twisted up the rest of the frame.

Unfortunately the tag had faded out and I could no longer read the model number so not quite sure exactly the model and the frame is too bent to measure.

The tag on mine was in the middle at the back edge of the cloth.

Thanks in advance!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2022 :  11:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary - sorry to take forever, but I was finally able to go to the boat again. I looked all over the bimini, but I couldn't find any tag or label. Also no luck when looking through the receipts folder from the previous owner. I could measure the bimini if that would be helpful.

Kav Eldredge
Birmingham, AL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page