Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mainsail Cover: Reviews/Suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MikaDayputs
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2023 :  13:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I require a replacement mainsail cover on my 1986 Catalina 25 tall rig. I see that Amazon carries some less expensive covers and was wondering if anyone had experience using these. Any suggestions on replacements?

M. Linz
Snellville, GA
1986 Catalina TR/FK
Lake Sidney Lanier

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2023 :  14:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a new mainsail cover made for a Cal 25 by Sailors Tailor in Spring Valley, Ohio. Their online base price for a C25 mainsail cover is $248. plus $17.00 for tall rig. They use an acrylan fabric that, IMO, is better than sunbrella, and they stitch their canvas with Tenara thread, which is very expensive and impervious to sun rot. You can specify all twist lock fittings instead of part twist locks and part snaps for $27.50. I added that option. They will also embroider your boat name on the cover if you wish. (I did not.) Their covers are beautifully made and, IMO, a bargain. Here's a link.

https://www.sailorstailor.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Catalina 25 Sail Cover

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

MikaDayputs
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2023 :  18:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am intrigued with this cover. I may go with them. Thank you for the link!

M. Linz
Snellville, GA
1986 Catalina TR/FK
Lake Sidney Lanier
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2023 :  05:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the motion! I bought one for my conventional rig C-25 about 5 years ago and it’s of very high quality. Now I need to find a bimini cover to match it exactly. I use my old Sunbrella bimini cover turned inside out (it hasn’t faded as badly as the outside), and from 25 ft away it still looks good.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2023 :  09:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lovely lady bought some Sunbrella and made us a new mainsail cover. Cost less than $20.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

MikaDayputs
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2023 :  19:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your replies. I'm still curious though if anyone has bought one from Amazon, and how good was the quality.

M. Linz
Snellville, GA
1986 Catalina TR/FK
Lake Sidney Lanier
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2023 :  16:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikaDayputs

Thank you all for your replies. I'm still curious though if anyone has bought one from Amazon, and how good was the quality.

I took a quick look at several pages of sail covers on Amazon. It appears to me that all but one are the same cover but are offered by various retailers. Prices are all over depending on which retailer you chose. Zooming in on the pictures I saw several things that indicate they may not last long. Stitching being one of the signs I saw.

Sail covers are one of those items that are "Pay me now or Pay me later".

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2023 :  06:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
…. or you could order one from Amazon and test drive it If you find that it’s a good fit and it seems pretty well made, keep it. But if you get it and it turns out to be less than ideal, you can always return it.
*** But make sure that you read the fine print! Some Amazon 3rd party sellers do not participate in Prime or offer free returns. ***

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2023 :  06:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purely as a guess, I suspect the Amazon covers are not stitched together with Tenara thread, and their thread will sun rot after 4-5 years, or sooner in southern states. The last time I bought Tenara thread, it cost $99. for a cone. It won't be used on inexpensive canvas. Sailors Tailor guarantees their covers for 10 years, but for most folks, they're probably good for nearly twice that. The closures on the Amazon covers appear to be velcro, not mechanical. Unlike velcro, mechanical closures allow air to circulate under the cover to dry out any moisture (wet sails). Velcro will not last as long as mechanical fastenings, and will need to be replaced.

To summarize, I think an Amazon cover might be ok in a more northern environment, especially if you are likely to only keep the boat far 3-4 years. In a southern environment, and where boats are typically left in the water year-around, a longer lasting cover would be a better choice.

FWIW, I have no financial interest in Sailors Tailor. They have been repairing my sails for well over 40 years, and they made a very nice mainsail cover for me. In fact, I presently have two sails that are being repaired by them.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

MikaDayputs
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2023 :  21:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent point concerning velcro vs mechanical fasteners and moisture build-up. Maybe better quality really is the way to go. It's still tempting, however, to order one from Amazon if anything, to be able to inspect it before installing it on the boat (or returning it). Looks like I'll be mulling this over just a little more!

M. Linz
Snellville, GA
1986 Catalina TR/FK
Lake Sidney Lanier
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2023 :  21:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s always been true that “you get what you pay for.” This is even true in the Amazon age.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2023 :  13:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve is right about Sailor's Tailor. They do good work. I used them a couple of times when I lived in Dayon, and was always pleased with the results. It's also an interesting place to visit if you live nearby.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page