Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 No bilge access panel in cabin sole
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evenkeeled
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/31/2023 :  22:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1981 C25, dinette version, with no access panel on the cabin floor itself.
See picture here: https://ibb.co/g4pKj9Y
Does anybody else have that problem?

I can access the bilge through a panel on the aft dinette seat, but I only see a small part of the bilge.
That's good enough to check for water in the bilge, but now I'd like to have the keel bolts inspected, and it looks like I'll have to cut a hole into the cabin sole.

If someone has ever added an access panel in their cabin sole, I'm interested in their experiences.

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2023 :  12:50:16  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'evenkeeled'

Re: "...I'd like to have the keel bolts inspected, and it looks like I'll have to cut a hole into the cabin sole."

I'm going to assume your 1981 Catalina 25 was built similar to my 1978 C25 with dinette and swing keel.  (There were multiple cabin layouts and keel types available.)  The swing keel pivot support stainless steel (SS) bolts are only accessible from below; they don't extend all the way through to the bilge.  Even so, it seems a bit of a design oversight to not have provided better access to the bilge area under the cabin sole for cleaning, inspection, repair, modifications, etc.

Here are a few photos of the access openings and covers I added to mine at the keel pivot location:

View of pivot area of bilge with covers removed:

No, those big bronze bolts aren't original equipment, and aren't the ones you're hoping to inspect.

The factory keel pivot SS bolts are inside that lump of fiberglass between the four bolts I added.

I hope this helps you figure out what's going on down there.  Feel free to ask for additional info if needed.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

evenkeeled
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2023 :  22:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input!
Mine C25 the fin keel version.
I had it hauled out today and the guy at the boatyard said he can probably work on the bolts via the 2 dinette seats.
That will require removing the waste-water tank that's under the forward seat, but at least he thinks we won't have to cut a new opening.
Go to Top of Page

Seaskew
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
1 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2023 :  07:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,
I have a question on my 1981 Catalina 25.
Is there a way to find features of this boa from the hull number?
Ed , new to forum and this boat.

Eskewes
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2023 :  06:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seaskew

Good morning,
I have a question on my 1981 Catalina 25.
Is there a way to find features of this boa from the hull number?
Ed , new to forum and this boat.

Welcome to the forum Ed!

The hull number can tell you a little basic information about your boat, but not much. There are other resources. What features do you want to know about?

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 09/14/2023 06:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2023 :  11:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does the Catalina 25 owners' association have a table or chart or something indicating what years various standard and optional original equipment features were introduced and discontinued?

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2023 :  09:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leon — as far as I know the answer is no. As as developments were added like side red green lights turned into a bow pulpit mounted single fixture, wing keel addition later in the series, different rudder types, these were not documented by Catalina in the literature provided. There is lit based on pre-‘88 and post-‘88 in the manuals and brochures, but not much more here. Catalina Direct offers (or offered) a more detailed set of documents, however the copy I received when I purchased Passage was lost in the fire. If anybody has a set, please take a look to see what or whether CD listed any of these innovations in their literature.
While it might be possible, each of us here could post their hull # and year, and a list of features about their boat. If the list were sequential by date of build, we could visualize the evolution of the series. We have the basis of this data already in the Boat Search list.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page