Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Trail-Rite trailer brake upgrade?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NHC25
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/17/2023 :  18:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Trail-Rite trailer with my C250 that had a lot of rot on the corners of the axle supports along with rotted brake hubs. I was not able to find replacement axles so a local welder reinforced the existing axles with gussets and pulled the brake hubs off. So, now I'm considering switching the hubs to electric from the original hydraulic surge brakes. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this to help me make the decision. I think it will be easier to run electric wire than new hose plus I have an electric brake controller on my truck. The downside seams to be that electric brakes are not as strong as hydraulic brakes, and I'll have the trailer clunking whenever I change speed from the empty surge. Now that I have a sturdy trailer I plan to try out some big lake sailing in northern New England. TIA for any help!

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2023 :  09:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my brakes replaced and made operational last year. It took me about a hour of calling to find someone to work on them and when they looked at them, they insisted on replacing all the hoses and master cylinder due to rust and moisture. This was not cheap and as little as the trailer gets used it could happen again. I would take a long look at a different system.

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page