Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 head sink drain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jointtortfeasor
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/13/2024 :  19:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a new owner of an 89 Catalina 25.

I can't seem to find the valve or how I drain the sink near the head. Am I missing something? I've checked under the sink, as well as space near the v berth.

I also have a question about a black-looking fitting on the floor and underneath the v-berth cushions. Not sure what it is, and I'm not sure if I can post a picture of it on here.

Thanks,

Paul

J. Paul Davidson

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2024 :  22:15:33  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul,
I also have an 89 Catalina. Below is a photo from my boat website that is of the space below the VBerth. It shows the original transducers for the depth and speed and the transducer for my fish finder that replaced my depth finder. On the starboard hull side is the sink drain tube and valve.

The photo and addl photos of the VBerth area can be found on my website by clicking on project regarding VBerth Storage. An addl photo or two can be found clicking on the Fishfinder Install.

I have never used my sinks but I have on occasion greased (from outside the hull) the seacocks/valves) and then periodically cycled them. I always leave the seacocks closed. When I purchased my boat Fall 2005, the galley/sink (manual pump) faucets never worked. I thought about replacing them and possibly installing electric faucets as I had done on an earlier sailboat I owned but....I considered how I was using the boat the first year or two I owned it and decided it was just easier and possibly safer to just utilize bottled water rather then messing with the onboard freshwater tanks and annual maintenance that would be needed. Perhaps, if I were using my boat for more overnighters, I would have considered restoring/replacing the faucets.

Since I do not use the sinks, I generally do not open the seacocks, but sometimes when winter is approaching, I will pour an antifreeze mix down each drain and then open the seacocks just long enough for some of the mix to drain out and residual to remain in the lower portion of the drain tube, But I do not always do this since the seacocks remain closed all the time and therefore there is no freshwater in the drain to freeze. If there is any liquid in the drain tube, then it is the antifreeze mix.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 01/13/2024 22:18:22
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2024 :  08:21:23  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, I think what you are referring to as a “black looking fitting” is the valve for the sink. There are two of them, located on the hull near both sinks. The valve/seacock on our ‘89 Catalinas’ is made of a plastic composite material believe called Marelon or something similar. Since this valve is flush with the hull, these valves are generally called seacocks and is a quarter turn ball valve operated by turning the lever. When the lever is parallel with the valve body, then the valve is open and when the lever is turned 1/4 (1/4 of a full circle/radius) turn so that the lever is perpendicular to the valve body, then the valve is closed. If this valve/seacock has not been operated for a very long time, like 1, 2 or more years ago, the seacock may be very tight or stiff to turn. This could be due to some sea crust or just an initial friction set between the ball and seating surfaces. Generally, once again operated, it then turns more freely. Sometimes, when my boat is raised out of the water for bottom painting, etc I sometimes place a little bit of grease on the seacock from outside the hull and then from inside, cylcle the valve to ensure it operates smoothly but this valve was probably designed to never require lubrication if regularly operated and it is possible that some greases may not be compatible with plastic material, so that is something to consider.

Something to also consider before operating the seacock for the first time especially after purchasing the boat, is not to apply too much force to opening this valve - Obviously, it would be a disaster if this valve were to crack/develop a water path from it failing. Years ago, the design of this valve, how it was attached to the hull and its body material was revised perhaps a few times. From what I understand and perhaps others more in the know, can detail the material and design revisions thru the past Catalina model years but from what I understand, the ‘89 model has the best seacock design (to hull). and seacock body material - the body material and internals not subject to corrosion.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 01/14/2024 08:30:13
Go to Top of Page

Jointtortfeasor
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2024 :  12:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Larry. My layout looks a little different. Is is possible to post pics on these forums?

Paul

J. Paul Davidson
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2024 :  14:45:19  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Click on the “Association Forum”, then go to bottom of the bulletin board and click on the link for Testing - Then click on How to post photos.

I also responded to your email.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page