Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Transom Crack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khaine
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
10 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/11/2022 :  09:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed a long, shallow crack on the underside corner of my transom. The crack extends several feet, from one side to the other. Photos can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/PZJp9qh

Any thoughts on what caused this? Backstays too tight? Or just a random issue? Have others seen this before?

It looks like it is just a gelcoat crack so I'll plan to Dremel it down and fill with MarineTex or maybe thickened epoxy. Most of it will be covered with new bottom paint. Any tips for a newbie on working around this area?

Thanks!

2002 Catalina 250 WK
Lake Ontario

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2022 :  13:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s pretty surprising frankly. Did you notice this when you hauled your boat last fall? or any time before or after the beginning of freezing weather in your area? Possibly due to water intrusion into the transom from leaky scuppers. If you look inside the hull, is there a corresponding crack?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2022 :  17:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is very surprising... to my knowledge not seen before on this forum.

In 2008 we had an opportunity to visit the Catalina factory in Florida. At that time we saw the application of joining the hull/transom joint of a C250 which seemed pretty solid and sturdy. We were all the more interested since the Hunter series cold glue/bolt and cap this joint.

Can you tell how deep it is? Could it be just surface scratch? Could the hull have come under some type of load or stress?

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Khaine
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
10 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2022 :  18:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce and Henk for the comments. You both have been incredibly valuable to my learning as I’ve read through old topics and posts.

To add some details - this boat was purchased last October and both myself and the surveyor didn’t notice anything at the time of purchase so I feel confident saying the crack wasn’t there at the time. About a month after purchase I had the boat trucked several hundred kilometres to my location. I checked the boat following the move and didn’t notice the crack. But I suspect, based on your comments, that the move must have caused the crack and I either missed seeing it after the move, or it was just weakened and split over the winter. No moisture issues were found in the transom during the survey last fall.

From what I can tell it looks shallow - maybe 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch deep. I checked the corner from the inside and couldn’t see any obvious cracks or anything like that. I think I’ll just need to dremel it out and hope that it’s just in the gelcoat and not a structural issue.

Anything else I should consider?

2002 Catalina 250 WK
Lake Ontario
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2022 :  19:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be a deep gouge due to a sharp object scraping the gelcoat? Your best bet is to use a sharp knife or putty knife to inspect the crack. If you can insert it beyond a few mm, then you should dig in and inspect further. Otherwise, if it’s a surface defect, you may be able to fix it with a gelcoat repair kit. The color is not bright white, but a creamy white. MarineTex is about the right color. Best of luck.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2022 :  08:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that could be a picture of my boat. The crack is in the exact same place when I noticed it on my boat in the fall of 2019 just after I boat it. I did a quick patch with Marine tex, not really cleaning is out good and sailed for two seasons. This spring I noticed a crack while installing V 17 bottom paint which wouldn't hide cracks very well so I decided it was time to put more effort into the repair.
This is how I repaired it. You might do something completely different. I broke the dremel tool out and cleaned out the cracks in the gelcoat good and went around the stern and did the same to any crack I found in the stern area. Some of the little cracks opened up and got a lot wider which is a good thing. I used Marinetex to patch the cracks with 2 or 3 coats, sanding in between. I put it on a little thick at first and had to used 80 grit then followed with 220 both wet. When I got it to where I wanted it I switched to 1000 grit then 2000 grit to smooth it out. I of course wiped it down with denatured alcohol or an interlux product between coats and sanding. Then hit it with cleaner wax and wax ( Collinite ).
The results were good but the Marinetex did not match the other gelcoat perfectley.
I did talk to a boat dealer who said it was pretty common with Catalina gelcoat and was not too concerned
Again this is how I fixed it that doesn't mean its the only way to fix it or the right way. I'm always looking for a better way to fix things

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2022 :  22:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the structure of the C-250 transom, and photos can be misleading, but that does not look like a gelcoat crack to me. The way it follows (roughly) what looks like the hull/transom joint from one side around to the other is very concerning. I'd want to look at the corner of the transom inside the hull and would probably ask a marine surveyor or fiberglass repair pro to look at it. I might also send the photos to Catalina for their comment. Sticking Marine Tex in there might be little more than hiding a structural problem.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2022 :  08:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do expect this crack to come back. There is just too much weight and torque going on back there with 120 lb motor, battery, septic tank , gas tank, two captains chairs, steering seat and the people in them. You can easily hit a thousand lbs. Then throw in wind and waves for good measure. I did talk to a Catalina dealer and showed him pictures . He didn't seem too concerned

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2022 :  22:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, we know Khaine's year and keel--what are yours?

Your dealer speaks of gelcoat cracks (having just seen some photos)--indeed they ("spider cracks") are not uncommon, and are usually due to gelcoat being a little too thick in some areas. But I have serious doubts that Khaine's crack is just the gelcoat. And the fact that yours "opened up" as much as you describe gives me some doubts as well. I'll just say from the evidence so far, I don't share your dealer's lack of concern.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2022 :  08:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boat is a 2007 with a WK and a wheel

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2023 :  10:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good way to check to see if you have structural damage as opposed to a crack in the gelcoat is to crawl back to the battery hatch with a flashlight and take a look from the inside. I can say on my boat with my cracking on the outside the inside looked really good but that was my boat.

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page