Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Another mast and spreader mount question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacob
1st Mate

Member Avatar

34 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/15/2023 :  10:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever removed the spreader mounts on their 25 mast? There are three bolts that go all the way through each spreader mount and the mast. Two of them came out no problem, but the third, the lowest one on the mount, is not coming out. The nut came off the end, and the bolt will turn, just won't come out. It's like it has a second nut on it inside the mast or something like that. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2023 :  11:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive never done this but there are compression tubes inside the mast that the bolts go through. Sounds like you have corrosion and it has welded the tube to the bolt. If your not keeping the spreader brackets from the C25 then I would just cut the head and nut off the bolts. Here is an artical about replacing the brackets and it talks about the corrosion problem when trying to remove the bolts. https://www.catalinadirect.com/spreader-bracket-retrofit-kits-for-the-catalina-22-catalina-25-and-catalina-27/

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2023 :  12:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also try laying the mast on it's side then remove the nut and spraying WD40 so it dribbles down the bolt. I would keep soaking it for a day then see if you can drive the bolt out using a hammer and drift pin.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2023 :  10:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dealing With Stuck Spreader Base Bolts

It has been a couple decades since I replaced the spreader brackets on my Catalina 25, But I remember having the same problem of the lower stainless steel (SS) spreader base bolt being stuck in the mast.

From the factory there are two aluminum compression sleeves inside the mast at the spreaders, as shown in this photo:

The problem you describe is likely the result of salt corrossion between the close-fitting lower compression sleeve and the 3/8" bolt (disimilar metals in a salty environment).

Removing stuck compression sleeve
In repairing this, it's important to avoid damaging the aluminum mast extrusion, particularly the heavily loaded section near the spreaders.

I tried a lot of methods which didn't work.  (For example, sailboat parts are unmoved by profanity; they've already heard it all while out on the water.)  Finally, I resorted to grinding both ends of the bolt off flush with the outside surface of the mast.  I applied several layers of masking tape to protect the mast itself from the grinder.  It's important to get the remaining center section of the bolt as short as practical for the next step.

With the stuck bolt cut down, I used large C-clamps with long wooden boards as padding to squeeze the mast cross section fore and aft at the spreader location, causing the sides to temporarily bulge out a distance equal to one mast wall thickness.  I then used a punch to tip over the bolt and sleeve inside the mast, thus allowing them to slide out the end of the extrusion.

Making new sleeves
Using metal from my vast inventory of potentially useful parts and materials (which gf condemns as piles of useless junk and random clutter that belong in the landfill), I cut new, looser-fitting compression sleeves for the three spreader base bolts through the mast.  I may have used aluminum paint roller handle, or aluminum tubing from folding lawn furniture, or aluminum rod center-drilled in a lathe — whatever was lying around.  Be sure to get the length right, and the ends square.

Installing mast compression sleeves
To position the sleeves inside the mast at the bolt holes, I used a long section of PVC pipe with a V-shaped fish mouth notch in one end.  With a sleeve held in the V-notch by weak adhesive tape, one person watched through the spreader bolt holes, while the other maneuvered the PVC pipe to get the sleeve into position.  Final positioning was done with an icepick, screwdriver, and then the SS bolt.  Obviously it's important to start with the sleeve farthest from the end of the mast where the PVC pipe is, to avoid blocking insertion of the other sleeves.  Once the bolt is installed through the spreader base and mast, simply twist and pull the pipe to break the tape around the now secured sleeve.

If you want to insert all the sleeves before putting in the bolts, or if a bolt has to be removed and reinstalled, sleeves can be held in position temporarily with wire, long zip-ties, or similar through the bolt holes.

Optional details for fanatics
When I made my own compression sleeves, the inside diameters left plenty of clearance around the bolts.  I also coated the bolts and inside of sleeves with thick grease to reduce likelihood of corrosion causing them to get stuck in the future.  Some sort of thin wall plastic liner inside the aluminum compression sleeve might also help.

I added insulating pads or gaskets between the SS spreader bases and aluminum mast extrusion to reduce future corrosion caused by electrical contact between dissimilar metals in salty air.  These gaskets were cut from a thick discarded dodger window.

—Leon (a.k.a. Mr. Overkill)

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2023 :  13:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the help guys! It definitely had the smaller diameter compression sleeve stuck to that bolt. I tried everything and at one point I thought it was finally going to come out of the compression sleeve, but then the bolt and compression sleeve ended up coming out the mast together as one. Enlarged the hole on its way out. But that's fine, I'm not reusing those holes anyway, so it worked out ok.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page