Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Whale Flipper Mk IV pump question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Qorgyle
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/04/2023 :  10:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I saw a few of these topics were made but they're pretty old so figured I'd post my own. :) One of my pumps is nonfunctional and I went ahead and ordered the replacement and then found out it WAS possible to get the repair kit somewhat near me.

I'm probably going to order that as well and see if I can make the previous faucet a spare, but my question is: has anyone done the repair? What does it entail and what problems did you run into, if any? I took it apart and I can't see anything clearly wrong or missing, apart from obviously quite aged seals.

Thanks for any help.

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2023 :  11:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have 2 functioning pumps if you are interested. Check the Swap Meet forum.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2023 :  07:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Qorqyle - I also rebuilt my Whale faucet and replaced the seals. But before I ordered the rebuild kit, I tried smearing some Vaseline petroleum jelly on the rubber parts and it worked for a few days.
Apparently, it’s the vacuum and the suction created by the fresh seals (or lube in my example) that makes the pump work. I’d think that the mechanism will continue working virtually forever provided you continue to replace the seals every decade or so.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Qorgyle
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2023 :  14:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bjoye

I still have 2 functioning pumps if you are interested. Check the Swap Meet forum.

I am so sorry to have not noticed that; I jumped the gun and ordered all the things. :( Thanks for the offer, I'm sure someone will want them!

quote:
Apparently, it’s the vacuum and the suction created by the fresh seals (or lube in my example) that makes the pump work. I’d think that the mechanism will continue working virtually forever provided you continue to replace the seals every decade or so.

I bet you're right. I was scared away by the PO's "oh I tried to fix it once" but should've done my own research first.

---
C-25 Wing Keel, #5753
Portland, OR
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2023 :  09:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you have done your repair yet, but I replaced all the seals in a flipper pump of my own last night, and it was fairly easy. Not too much to it. Hardest thing to replace was the flat rubber piece in the bottom.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2023 :  18:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, it is removing the pump to then rebuild!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Qorgyle
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2023 :  19:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob

Not sure if you have done your repair yet, but I replaced all the seals in a flipper pump of my own last night, and it was fairly easy. Not too much to it. Hardest thing to replace was the flat rubber piece in the bottom.

Yes, I replaced it. It was the culmination of replacing all of the freshwater plumbing so it of course took longer than expected but everything is fully functional now.

The faulty one is on the workbench awaiting some workshop time.

---
C-25 Wing Keel, #5753
Portland, OR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page