Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 The old man hasn't lost it yet...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/25/2023 :  14:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we had a four boat race, consisting of a J70, a Carrera 290, my old J24 and I think an O'Day 27. I had never raced against the Carrera or J70 before. The J70 and Carrera were fully crewed and flying spinnakers. The ODay and I were flying white sails. I was singlehanding.

Here's an online photo of some J70s.

And here's an online photo of a Carrera 290.

At the start I got buried behind the wind shadows of both the Carrera and the ODay, and had to drive hard to windward to cross their transoms and clear my air. Once clear, I focused on speed, and rounded the windward mark well ahead of the ODay and about a boat length behind the Carrera and the J70. After rounding, the boats weren't allowed to cross the start/finish line until the finish, and the J70 and Carrera sailed toward the committee boat end, near the heavily wooded west side of the lake. They were obviously match racing each other, and not concerned with the old singlehander. I sailed toward the pin end of the line, in the middle of the lake, and found good wind and a favorable wind shift that took me straight toward the leeward mark. I rounded the mark about 3 boat lengths ahead of the Carrera, and had a bigger lead on the J70. The Carrera caught a little gust just before dousing its asymmetrical spinnaker and slingshotted around the mark and past me. I also had some difficulty getting my jib trimmed for the next leg, and it took me awhile to get up to speed. Once I got going, I focused on maximizing speed, and led the J70 about half the distance to the finish, when he finally passed me. They both beat me on elapsed time, but I think I probably beat the J70 on corrected time. If the Carrera owes me enough of a handicap, I might have beaten him too on corrected time, but he probably crossed the line about 100 yards ahead of me.

The moral of this story is, in a sailboat race, if the other boats are faster than yours, you can't beat them if you get in the parade behind them. You have to break away from them and find a shorter distance or better winds or smoother water or less adverse current. You don't always succeed, but it's sooo sweet when you do.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2023 :  19:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2023 :  05:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked at phrf ratings. The J24 rates between 165 to 174, depending on who's rating it. The Carrera 290 rates 99 and the J70 rates 120.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2023 :  11:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the results. I finished first on corrected time.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2023 :  18:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CONGRATULATIONS!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2023 :  08:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, that must have humiliated the faster boats a bit to be beaten by a single hander. Well done!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2023 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Derek! They'll get over it. They'll beat me more than I'll beat them, but it was good to get their attention the first time out.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2023 :  10:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work! (Happy the O'Day didn't correct out ahead of you--I assume he gets a few more seconds.) I once crewed in a one-design match race (no handicaps of course) where the other skipper slid behind some rocks that interrupted an adverse tidal current that our skipper wasn't thinking about as he headed straight for the line. The trip back to the dock was a little glum--no surprises to come later. I guess the bright spot was a lesson was learned.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page