Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Introduction and Seeking Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

michael.mcdonald
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/03/2023 :  13:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I've been cruising this forum for the last few weeks as my wife and I recently took an ASA 101 course up on the Columbia River in Oregon and 'caught the bug'. Unfortunately with the timing of the season and availability of courses through ASA, we won't be able to complete 103 and 104 until next season... Which means chartering or renting a sailboat is pretty much a non-starter. However, as we understand it, there's nothing stopping us from purchasing a boat of our own to practice on (somebody correct us here, if we are wrong).

We're looking at a Catalina 25 down on Lake Tahoe and it's starting to "get real" for us. Reached out to a local marine surveyor to come take a closer look at the boat to help on the decision-making process as well as for insurance coverage.

Did a lot of research here and elsewhere on the web before landing on these Catalinas and I think we know you all love them as much as you do: general build quality, availability, easy access to new and refurbished parts, etc. Wanted something we could overnight in reasonably comfortably and could trailer to minimize costs while trying out a few different spots around us (Fern Ridge, Detroit Lake, Odell Lake and of course up on the Columbia).

It's really important to us that we do everything "right" so I'd love any words of wisdom from this great community. Anyone else up here in Oregon?

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by - michael.mcdonald on 08/03/2023 13:01:30

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2023 :  21:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Michael (from a past owner/member)! You're off to a great start with the ASA courses. I suspect having learned on the Columbia, sailing on lakes will seem pretty simple--while there are waves moving around, the water stays pretty much where it is!

If you plan to transport and/or keep the boat on a trailer, I'll recommend the wing keel version of the C-25. The swing keel points a little better, and has about the same draft when raised, but adds some maintenance issues (more so in salt water than fresh). The wing replaced the swing in the last few years of C-25 production (88-91), alsthough it became available a little earlier' 1989 is the first year of the final "generation" of the C-25, with more interior headroom and some other improvements.

The fin keel, which I had, is a fine sailboat, but with a fixed 4' draft, sits much higher on a trailer and thus requires a deeper launching ramp (or lifts in and out at marinas).

I suspect you also know about the C-250, which replaced the C-25 a few years after the 25 went out of production. The 250 is lighter, a little more "tender", has a different interior layout, and offers a water ballasted centerboard version for easier trailering. The ballast tank under the cabin sole is filled after launching, and drained on the ramp after retrieval. The tank also reduces headroom in the cabin--the wing keel C-250 has about 5" more.

So now I've told you possibly more than I know... But I know there are some NW sailors here--you'll hear lots more. And all questions are welcome!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/03/2023 21:40:26
Go to Top of Page

michael.mcdonald
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2023 :  08:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks for the welcome and the information! Great to hear from someone that confirmed a lot of what we had guessed or pieced together on the web.

Thanks for the recommendation of the wing keel for trailering. I had suspected that launching the fin keel version from one of those real tall trailers might cause some issues depending on the ramp angle. I've got an F-150 that I would like to use to move this boat around if possible, but also have pretty easy access to a Ram 2500 if I need a little more "oomph" up the ramp.

On the C-250, I really like the layout (fully enclosed head!) but we've been struggling to find one of those in the <$10k range that would also come with a trailer... I have also heard about the 250 being more tender as well as mixed opinions on the water ballast/reduced headroom. On that version, do you feel like the handling characteristics might be a concern or just something to be aware of?
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2023 :  20:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Michael,
I have a Catalina 25 fin keel that’s not on a trailer, in fact, it’s Dave Stinkpotter’s previous boat. I used to be a trailer sailor when I had a smaller daysailer. It was fun trying out different lakes, bays, and rivers but after awhile I decided to rent a slip on the bay and largely stopped trailering. With limited time to sail (say six hours), I found that I was spending about 1/2 my time driving and rigging the boat and only a few hours actually sailing. I found that like the law of diminishing returns.
On occasion, I did enjoy trailering to a remote lake and sleeping over a night or two at a new location.
It’s not for everyone, but there have been several folks here who’ve taken longer trips for over a week’s time, and have written up trip reports on their travels.
There’s a lot to consider, however, the Columbia River provides many different sailing experiences: bay and estuary sailing a little closer to the mouth of the river, exciting winds up in the Columbia Gorge, and longer-distance sailing heading up or down the Pacific Coast.
Of course, there’s always the challenges of navigating the Columbia Bar out beyond the mouth of the river. I’ve watched the YouTube videos of the Coast Guard boats getting bounced around in the big chop conditions. That might be a bit much for any coastal cruiser like the C25/C250.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2023 :  07:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on some things you've said about usage, here's an opinion--not a fact, and not universally agreed on: I did not have a trailer (thus Bruce doesn't either), but I would not consider the C-25 to be a "trailer-sailer"--one that you take to a lake, set up, launch, sail, retrieve, and take home... I consider it to be "transportable"--suitable for capable tow vehicles (5-150, Suburban, etc.) to take to a place where you'll have it in the water for a while. The issue is the rig. Some here have reported making the set-up a 1-man operation, doable inside of an hour... I stand in awe (and at a distance). The "tall rig" would only be worse. The C-250 rig is a little lighter, with one pair fewer shrouds, but still raises the question of how much you'll enjoy a day or two on a lake if set-up and set-down are parts of those days.

By comparison, I've watched the launching and retrieval of Catalina 22s--it's a whole different thing. And the C-22 is a very capable lake sailer, with modest accommodations for two if you want to spend a night. (The porta-potti under the berth might be an issue.) With probably the longest and one of the largest production runs in sailing (as well as being a stout little boat), there are usually some available on the market.

Our C-25 spent the season in a slip (as she does for Bruce now.) There were evenings when we'd go out, pull out the 130% genoa alone, sail to nowhere and back, pull the furler line to roll up the sail, and be done. ("Pull one string and you're sailing--pull another and you're not.") Other days we'd be out with the full rig, rail down, hauling (sorta). Then back to the slip she'd go.

So make sure the reality of the preparations (and de-preparations) fits with your expectations for enjoying the boat.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/05/2023 08:17:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page