Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New to Catalina - looking for advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeteD
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Australia
6 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/16/2024 :  20:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all
I'm new to the Catalina family having just purchased a 2008 250 WK model with helm steering. This forum is such a great way to learn about the boat, thankyou to all who have contributed.
I have a few questions regarding the installation of items, these probably have been covered previously however I can't find the correct threads.
These are some of my questions for now which I'm sure won't be the last as my journey continues.
I would like to install a marine vhf radio on the starboard side just aft of the galley(as I have seen on a few, or is there another preferred place?) and a chart plotter/depth sounder unit on the helm above the compass.
My 2 main issues here are drilling into the interior lining to mount the radio and where / how to neatly run the cables and vhf aerial, and cables up to the helm. I will mount the depth transducer forward of the keel under the vee berth.
I have read a bit about increasing the ballast weight in the bow, is this regarded by most as necessary?
Bimini installation. Any correct dimensions to clear the mainsheet and the backstay and for width? Self tapping screws through side decks?
There are so many great improvements and ideas you all have made to your boats, it has given me lots of incentive to do so much.

Thankyou,
Regards,
Pete
2008 Catalina 250 WK HN-969

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2024 :  08:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PeteD, Welcome to the C25/250 club!
I see you’re located in Western Australia which has some of the oldest geology in the world. Nice! I hear that it has some of the most beautiful seascapes anywhere. Also it’s amazing how a C250 built in the States ever made its way down under.

May I suggest that you don’t mount any electronics nearby your compass, primarily because any electrical fields or their magnetic materials can adversely affect the deviation of the compass, and the deviation will be time-varying depending on whether you’re using the electronics or not.

For maximum VHF range it’s optimal to mount the antenna as high up as practical. The physics of VHF makes height more important than RF power for increasing the range. If possible, either add a long mounting pole to the transom rail, or attach it to the mast head.

Many depth transducers can be mounted inside the hull without the need for drilling through the bottom. You can mount it securely using the wax gasket from a toilet-bowl installation kit from a homecenter or hardware store. The wax makes an airtight seal between the transducer and the hull, so the sonar ping is transmitted faithfully through the hull material.

Lastly, self-tapping screws and fiberglass are not the best solution. The screws, which may be under a great deal of stress between wave action and wind loads, can pull out easily. A better approach would be using stainless steel through-bolts with backing plates either made of wood, metal, or HDPE plastic like a plastic cutting board from the homewares department. This will provide much greater holding power for a bimini.

Some people create a blog or set of captioned photos when they do a few projects. This forum will support adding photos to your post if you host them on another photo-sharing site.

I realize that it’s high summertime out your way, like August in the Northern hemisphere, so this should be your sailing time. Adding a VHF now, even a 5W handheld one, would be great insurance until you have time to install a fixed-mounted radio.

Best of luck with your new to you boat, and your projects.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 02/17/2024 08:31:40
Go to Top of Page

PeteD
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
6 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2024 :  17:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce
Yes West Australia's coastline is pretty special, remote and very long. I live in the South West on the Southern Ocean at Cape Leeuwin, the boat will be kept in calmer waters in Port Geographe about 100 km north of here. The last third of summer here now, lots of boating still to be done. There still is some great sailing days mid winter, just not quite as hot. I have worked in San Diego and the weather there is very comparable year round to here.
Thankyou for the advice in your reply, actually I am required to have a marine radio, the law here is a vhf, epirb and life jackets must be carried on any vessel over 400 meters from shore in unprotected waters (the ocean).
I will probably end up mounting the electronics into the starboard bulkhead in the cockpit, I was thinking more about having a good visual on it at the helm rather than squinting at it forward.
I have read through many of the posts to get ideas, the photos are excellent. I did try to join the association however the link to the 'join the association' page takes me to an error page each time.
Thankyou again and I look forward to reading more posts.

Thankyou,
Regards,
Pete
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2024 :  07:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete,
Just looking at Google Maps around your area south of Perth, seems like “west coast” weather, and uncrowded with lots of attractions.
Thanks for explaining the required safety equipment for pleasure craft there. I’m sure that the US Coast Guard would favor those regs too.
You might choose to keep the compass on the bulkhead and place the radio electronics in an out of the way location. Then put your displays, speaker and microphone at the helm. A large 10cm compass should still be quite visible at 2 meters away.
For membership, you might want to check some of the posts in the general section of the forum. Russ Johnson, our Commodore, may be able to point out some tips on signing up.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2024 :  12:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pete, just checking in on your projects. I hope you’re enjoying your new C250. Have you been able to install your VHF radio, or chart-plotter? And it would be great to hear about your trips aboard.
I’ve been “visiting” with some YouTube sailors who are sailing around New Zealand and soon will be heading to the south coast of Australia next. It seems like high summer and folks are loving life on holidays as far as I can tell. Very different from American holiday vacations.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

PeteD
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
6 Posts

Response Posted - 02/29/2024 :  17:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce

Unfortunately the realities of work commitments has put a hold on the projects, I have about 3 weeks to go before the current contract ends and then I will be getting into it. I'm looking at a Garmin combination chart / sounder unit. As winter approaches I will have more time to work on the yacht (unless work intervenes again).
I suppose its finding the routes to best run the cables and wiring for the plotter and sounder, VHF etc, making it neat and look ok and functional.
Thanks for the interest, I will keep you posted.

Thankyou,
Regards,
Pete
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2024 :  20:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I’ve done for my Bimini. It’s just a normal Bimini tha covers the cockpit, it does not go over the stern rail seats, nor does one have to cut holes it it to fit around the back stays. I’ve mounted it on slides, so I can move it for and aft.
Good luck.

Hi, yes I have raised the boom. The back of the boom. I sail with a Bimini up, and the boom keep hitting, and rubbing the top of it.
Sooo - I cut the tubes of the Bimini down. A little at a time, now when I sit, the top is about 5” over my head. Some would say it’s to low, but
I don’t normally stand up when I sail, nor do I need a Bimini 6’ tall. As for the boom, the gooseneck stayed the same, I had the Clew ( back of the sail ) raised, and replaced, up 12”. ( a sail loft did this ) with no change to the sail shape, or performance that I can tell. One other thing I have done,
moved the main sheet, boom attachment, forward 18”. This gave the Bimini even more room, with still no change in performance.
With boom end up, and Bimini up ( and clearance between the two ) I’m happy, and wife’s in the shade. Life is good ,!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page