Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Summer 2024 begins, what could possibly go wrong?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/01/2024 :  20:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive finally splashed for summer of 2024 — my marina was all too happy to see me off this year.

The yard crew finally admitted that the yard will become a part of a larger condo, sports center, and marina (without winter storage) with construction beginning in late summer. Unless some kind of zoning issue arises, our sleepy little winter haven will step up to the fast lane in gentrification. (It might be a good time to invest in local real estate!)

So this leaves me on the hunt for a new storage home.

Coincidentally, a new classic boat repair and maintenance facility will be coming to my neighborhood, called Cooley marine, a division of Safe Harbors Marine (SHM), a Texas-based conglomerate, who purchased Jack Brewer’s network of northeastern US marinas.
Cooley may offer winter storage, but it’s not yet clear from their press releases.

SHM’s local properties include Scot “Islander”’s marina, several CT Gold-Coast marinas, and a number of RI and MA marinas.

We still have a few smaller marinas around where I can spend the winter.
I can also keep Passage in the water over the winter (hoping for a warm season without ice).

This reminds me of a situation that was faced by Gerry from Vermont where his long-time public marina on Lake Champlain was similarly converted into a private waterfront condo and marina.

At my age, and just preparing to retire next year, I’m not yet ready to quit sailing or to sell my boat.

Perhaps a future solution would be to replace Passage with a trailerable C22? Anybody tried that here? How did that go?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/01/2024 21:04:04

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2024 :  21:37:28  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Since 2005 until about 4 years ago, I had my boat all year-round in a Washington DC Marina, however, the neighboring area was changing with 2 new condos/apartment buildings recently built and the Marina raised it's rates significantly since expectation was that new residents would be keeping boats at the marina. Since I had been sailing in the area for many years and the yearly marina costs increased to about $4800, I decided to move my boat about 25 miles south on the Potomac River to the Quantico Marine Base Marina. As a retiree from the Navy Dept, I am allowed Base access and my annual slip fee is now about half of what I was paying in the DC marina and I am now sailing in a new area of the river and where the river is much wider (1 1/2 miles wide with portions north and south that are even wider across).

Hopefully, you can square away suitable storage arrangements and if your marina fees also increase due to the new mgmt and modifications they are making, you can make similar or better slip arrangements.

You mentioned the age thing and preparing for retirement and possibly going to a trailerable boat but in reading your post, it seems it is more the changes in your storage and marina situation that is of concern. If anything, retiring should make it more flexible for you to seek storage and marina options that perhaps you would not have considered but now can. Also, since you have gotten use to just going down to a marina, getting onboard and sailing, not so sure it will be that easy to adjust to then having to trailer a boat inorder to go sailing.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/01/2024 21:44:51
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2024 :  16:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Is it possible to go with a 22 wing keel (my preference) on a trailer that you could winter store on your property then in the water at a marina (convenience) for the summer? This would cut costs if possible.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2024 :  20:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...Perhaps a future solution would be to replace Passage with a trailerable C22? Anybody tried that here? How did that go?

I believe our old friend Derek Crawford in TX downsized from his This Side Up (probably the fastest C-25 on the planet) to a C-22; I'm not sure for how long. It's more of a day-sailer with "pup-tent" overnight accommodations, but it should be OK on Long Island Sound in reasonable conditions. The later models with wing keels could be the best pick, even if not class-legal (or competitive) for racing.

Friends of mine had a truck operator tow their C-30 on their trailer between their marina and their home for the winters--saving some money and making commissioning more convenient.

Or, you could "go over to the Dark Side" like I did (for reasons you don't really share). My 27-footer is trailerable (with a serious tow vehicle), but she spends winters on stands in a boatyard.

I hope you keep my old girl going for a while longer--she's been in good hands--for care and for usage!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2024 :  06:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I see — I remember visiting your old marina one time many years back in the ‘00s. I was in DC (Alexandria I think visiting a customer) and I happened upon it driving on the Geo Wash Parkway south of DCA Reagan National airport. It was a parklike setting. It’s great that you were able to find an alternate location down at the base. The tidewater area seems like a much better sailing location.
The quandary for me now is: do I want to drop my mast each fall, and raise it every spring? Right now I’m in a slip that I can either buy (10-year break-even point) or continue to rent, but I’d have to drop the mast to have it towed from the boat ramp to my new potential storage yard. I’m still fit enough to do that probably for the next 6-8 years, but after that, who knows?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2024 :  07:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott — I can see the appeal of a C22 on a trailer, especially a wing keel that can sit lower on the trailer, easier launch and retrieve, and getting through shallow inlets for gunkholing. I like the lighter mast for handling it up and down, and I can control when and where I launch and retrieve at the end of the season.
But Dave, as you mentioned, it’s a lot tighter in the cabin than Passage, and you have to adjust. Camping out under the stars doesn’t seem so bad, until the bad weather or bugs move in overnight!
I’d really like to keep Passage for the comfort factor, and I know just about every nook and cranny, and all of her idiosyncrasies..
As a possible location, a friend mentioned a small marina with storage in Guilford CT (25nm away), but the channel is only passable at high-high tide. Plus, that would be a day’s sail each way in the shoulders of the season.
Play it by ear I reckon.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2024 :  11:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also keep it in mind that when you retire you will have 7 days to pick and choose from. I rarely go out on weekends avoiding the weekend warriors. Way nicer to have the pond to yourself during the week. You won't be forced into 2 days that might not be so nice so it's more bang for the marina buck.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2024 :  21:15:54  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with Scott that when you retire you do have more days to choose from - Due to heavier weekend traffic, I oftentimes sail on weekdays.

I have been able to avoid having to drop and raise the mast - It was only done one time and that was back in 2005/6 when I had the mast rewired. I know others are use to seasonally lowering and raising the mast but I would explore all other viable marina/storage options. Sounds like you have already done that but possibly more options open up for you when you retire which you would not have considered. While I was working, the James Creek Marina in DC was just 10-15 minutes away from where I worked and so could oftentimes get out for a few hours on weekdays besides weekends (marina about 40 minutes away from home). The Quantico Base Marina was not really considered while I was working since it was much further away from work and then I probably would not go sailing on weekdays which I oftentimes was able to do. Also, Quantico is about a 45-50 minute drive each way from home and weekend traffic can sometimes increase that time. When I retired, I then reconsidered my options: I had sailed in the DC area for many years, so a different area seemed inviting; Marina cost was less expensive outside of the DC area and at the Base; and I could sail on weekdays and travel to/from my home was usually much better than on weekends.

So.....considering you may retire soon, maybe there are additional marina/storage options that come into play.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/04/2024 21:18:03
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2024 :  21:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while back, some friends in Greenwich kept their 30-foot sailboat in Stonington CT, and drove 90 minutes each way to use her. It was a great jumping-off point for Block Island, Shelter Island, Newport and the Mass. islands (saving them 2-3 days each way), and the summer wind is SOOOOOO much better up here than in western L.I. Sound. Just another strategy... When they retired, they built a house by the Mystic River to join the boat, and put her on a mooring outside, just off the Mystic Seaport lighthouse.)

My wife and I didn't follow our friends' original strategy--we kept Passage in Darien, 5 min. from home, but cruising wasn't so much our thing. Suddenly alone, I moved up to Mystic and took Passage along. Marinas...? We've got marinas! (15+ within 15 minutes of my home, but I only need one in the winter.) And those friends and I have gone over to the Dark Side.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/06/2024 21:29:17
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2024 :  05:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave - your friend had a point, however, Mystic is a little too far a drive for me. A friend of mine keeps his boat at a little wooden boatyard near the RR bridge in Mystic. But Old Saybrook or Westbrook would be a halfway point for me, and it’s pretty boaty over there. I still have a few friends from the local power squadron who might be able to make a recommendation in that area.
I’m working on a plan for winter 2025, and we’ll see what my next phase will be in summer 2025. I could be moving Passage up the line next year.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2024 :  13:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, there are options but you may need to hunt for them. My Yacht Club does winter storage for non members and is reasonably priced. My guess is that most yacht clubs do the same as winter storage helps their bottom line -- especially the smaller "boat" clubs. Captain's Cove in Bridgeport is a lower cost facility that is reasonably close to Milford. As Dave mentioned, heading East towards New London/Groton/Stonington there are may smaller yards that are DIY friendly. Anything related to "Safe Harbor" from my expereince is on the more expensive side and I know people who work for Cooley and his clientele are very high end, so don't expect any bargain. Also take a look at Wind Check magazine as tehy have clubs/yards that advertise for summer slip rentals and winter storage, etc. Hang in there!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2024 :  16:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter — yes, we have a few boat clubs and yacht clubs nearby. East End, Fayerweather, Miamogue YCs in Bridgeport may be options too. Housatonic Boat Club is nearby too, but you have to haul on their haul weekend, and drop the mast. These might be options for winter’25. Last year my winter storage fees were $50 per foot, up from $42 the year earlier. Contrast that with $75/ft at SHM and other premium boat yards in Milford, Black Rock and Branford.
They don’t call it “The Gold Coast” for nothing!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2024 :  17:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RYC, my club charges $67/ft. but yes, it IS the "gold coast"!!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2024 :  19:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s turning out to be a nice season. My fellow boaters have offered several suggestions for winter storage nearby and further afield that may be practical. I’ll run them all to ground before giving up my search!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page