Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New owner running rigging questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlCap
Deckhand

Member Avatar

3 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/27/2022 :  10:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All. I'm trying to figure out the running rigging on a new to me 250WK. There is a check block on the port mid boom the I am unsure what it is used for.

(https://drive.internxt.com/sh/file/ed78d67361f82ccf974f/857acc704fd6be0d043e7abc357abf651ce250276cc11760945e3e0f7183b5ae) Link in case I messed up the image in the post.

Currently the line running through the cheek block is the reefing line, as best as I can determine. My understanding is the reefing line should go from out of the front of the boom down to a turning block on the mast up and through the reef tack cringle then through a turning block at the base of the mast to be run aft. In this arrangement what would the cheek block be used for?

The second line you see in the photo above, which is curently running through the black clam cleat, is the outhaul. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't run it out the front of the boom, down to a port side mast step turning block and run it aft? Currently the line is too big to be secured by the clam cleat and needs to be replaced.

In the following picture is the hardware attached to the topping lift.

(https://drive.internxt.com/sh/file/6e1e14f90a11b75dd52d/a4e449ecd4db6fe9c12e22df6d24a0a7346a71406113f4b00eb41ba0efea1fea)

I'm unsure how to use the metal piece that is attached to the line in the photo. Catalina direct's topping lift kit contains two block, there is only currently one. If I buy a second, does anyone have a diagram as to how to properly set the topping lift up?

Finally there is a snap shackle at the base of a port stanchion nearest to the shroud attachment points. Might this be used to attach the jib halyard as there is a roller furling system? Anyother use this might have?

Bonus question: How do I secure the jib halyard when using an A frame to raise the mast? (The end not attached to the A frame) Just cleat it off? My only concern is this might introduce some twist. This doesn't ever seem to be mentioned in the posts I've read but maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I greatly appreciate any insights this group is able to provide. this forum has been a wealth of valuable information as I start my sailing journey. Thanks All.

alippold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2022 :  14:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar cheek block on my boom (along with a small cleat and shackle) that was used for a lazy jack line. I have a stack pack now so I am not currently using it. Another possible use for the cheek block is a 2nd reef line - assuming your main sail has more than 1 reef point.

Amber Waves
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2022 :  08:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Al,

I can't view your photos using the links.
The error message has the "link has expired".
If you post new links, I can upload your photos to the website for a permanent link.

The original reefing use a single line for both the tack and clew.
It's common to convert to two-line reefing.
I'm guessing it was a conversion from the previous owner.

What year or hull number is your boat?

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2022 :  08:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al,

Here are a few helpful links.

The C250 Owner's Manual
https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/C250OwnersMan.pdf

Reef Lines
https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/m25017.gif

Mast Raising
https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/m25010a.gif

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

AlCap
Deckhand

Members Avatar

3 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2022 :  10:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Hi Al,

I can't view your photos using the links.
The error message has the "link has expired".
If you post new links, I can upload your photos to the website for a permanent link.

The original reefing use a single line for both the tack and clew.
It's common to convert to two-line reefing.
I'm guessing it was a conversion from the previous owner.

What year or hull number is your boat?

Hi Russ:

My boat is hull number 269 (which I just learned how to figure out) and year 1997.

Not sure why you're getting that error message, I was able to access the picture from the links. I do have to click on view after clicking on the link though. Is there a preffered image hosting site for this forum? Here's a different link to the images https://imgur.com/a/WnuJrQF

Thank you for the images. The top photo is what I was referencing in my original post. Do you happen to have a diagram for a common set up for 2 line reefing?
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2022 :  23:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Al,

I was able to download your photos.
On my Windows laptop using Chrome, I could not view your first links.
On my work Mac laptop using Chrome, I was able to view and download.
There must be a security setting on my system the causing the error.
The Imgur.com links worked on both my computers.

Here's your two photos

There are two "Clam cleats" on the boom (Port and Starboard).
As I remember, one side is for the topping lift and the other side is for the outhaul.

The boom block in your photo is not original. I would guess it's for the clew reef line.
The clew reef line from the Owner's Manual goes through the reef cringle to the boom sheave then inside the boom.
This line pulls the clew aft and can be hard to tighten.
I have heard owners mounting a boom block and running the reef line on the outside of the boom.
This pulls the clew down and not aft, having less friction and making reefing easier.

This is a reef hook for the tack reef line.
Instead of running the reef line through the tack cringle, just use the reef hook on the tack cringle.
I would guess the previous owner converted from the original single-line reefing to two-line reefing.

When using two-line reefing:
Loosen the main sheet
Loosen the boom vang
Loosen the main halyard and lower the main sail
Tighten the tack reef line
Tighten the main halyard
Tighten the clew reef line
Tighten the boom vang
Tighten the main sheet and sail away.

With the original single-line reefing, it is hard to keep the sail shape because the tack and clew reef lines are adjusted at the same time.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 10/01/2022 00:10:16
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2022 :  00:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Al,

Your question about the jib halyard.
While under sail, I attach the jib halyard to the port stanchion.
The roller furler makes the jib halyard not used.

During mast raising/lowering, I attach the jib halyard to boom vang fitting near the mast base.

I use the mast raising system in the Owner's Manual, so I don't use an A-frame.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page