The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.
Eleven boats registered for the 1999 Catalina 25/250 National Championship Regatta held at Macatawa Bay Yacht Club, Macatawa, Michigan, July 9-11. There was even competition in all three divisions, and lots of sun, wind, and waves. The racers all started and sailed together, but were scored within their individual classes.
Due to high winds and a passing storm Thursday night, Friday's two races were sailed on Lake Macatawa, an inland lake which empties into Lake Michigan. The small lake with its flatter water provided a good place for
everyone to get started, and provided challenges of a different sort. With winds diminishing overnight, conditions on Lake Michigan were ideal for Saturday's races. Wind and waves eventually building to 4-5 feet provided challenging conditions for boats, crew and equipment.
All in all, skippers and crew seemed to be enjoying themselves whether sailing or relaxing with nearly 150 other Catalina sailors and crew at the Lake Michigan Catalina Association's annual Summer Rendezvous.
C-25 Standard Rig
1. Miriah II - Bryan Retterbush, Pitsburg, Ohio (swing keel)
2. Adventurous - Matt Walling, Grand Rapids, Michigan (swing keel)
3. At Last! - Jack Metzel, Birmingham, Michigan (swing keel)
4. Champagne Morning - Rosemary Weeks, Crown Point, Indiana (fin keel)
5. Other Woman - Jim Meier, Holland, Michigan (swing keel)
6. Compass Rose - Greg Jackson, Madison, Wisconsin (wing keel)
C-25 Tall Rig
1. Trust Me - Ron Howell, Cedar Springs, Michigan (fin keel)
2. Silver Wings - Jim Bogner, Denver, Colorado (swing keel)
3. ECHO - Jim Jones, Grand Rapids, Michigan (fin keel)
1. Old Bombay II - Mike Shetter, Geneva, Wisconsin (water ballast)
2. 2nd Wind - Jack Schafer, Lake Geneva, Illinois (water ballast)