Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Changing split back stays to single

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Albanker Posted - 10/30/2023 : 08:45:12
1 have a WK 2001 250 with split back stays. 1 side is adjustable but frankly don’t see a need.
Could I just use one side and switch to a single backstay? My anchors are on either side of the stern….could provide pic….. double back stays are a pain getting behind the wheel
Thanks
Al Covington
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve Milby Posted - 05/17/2024 : 15:09:37
The C250 has a masthead rig. A backstay adjuster on a masthead rig doesn't bend the mast to pull the draft of the mainsail forward, as it does on a boat with a fractional rig. It simply induces a little forestay sag, which powers up the rig for sailing in light air and off the wind.

People tend to think that the purpose of a backstay adjuster is to help the boat stay on its feet in stronger winds, but that's only true for fractional rigs. On masthead rigs, the purpose of a backstay adjuster is to power up the jib in light air and going downwind. It doesn't help the boat at all going to windward.
TakeFive Posted - 05/17/2024 : 14:49:54
I am not sure how an adjustable rig would work on a C250. Because the rig is not orthogonal, and has no forward lowers, any change in tension can have unexpected effects on the rest of the rig. It's much more complicated than traditional orthogonal rigs. For that reason, I've always thought that the C250 should be tuned to one tension for use in all conditions.

There's a temptation to think the backstay is redundant, since Hunters with a B&R rig work with NO backstay, but the sweep-back of the C250's spreaders is not nearly enough to function without a backstay. (C250 is NOT a B&R rig, and not even a "modified B&R rig".) With the C250's lower spreader sweep angle, a sudden gust in a DDW run might over-tension the lowers and cause damage to the chainplates or the deck.
Steve Milby Posted - 05/17/2024 : 07:46:35
The benefit of an adjustable backstay is that, if the rig is tuned correctly, it enables you to change the tuning of the rig instantly from a taut rig to a loose rig. A loose rig is more powerful. If you ease the backstay adjuster in light air or when sailing off the wind, it will loosen the rig and your speed will increase.

That being said, it's your boat and you can modify it as you see fit to make it more suitable for your use. If you change it to a single backstay, I suggest you rig the backstay the same way that the factory rigs a single backstay. If you attach the backstay in the places where the factory attaches them, you can trust that the boat is adequately reinforced at those points to bear the loads.
ismaelboat Posted - 05/12/2024 : 07:51:22
No one answer ! Is there any ideas ? Even splitting differently to get better access to the helm ? Thanks in advance
RPLieser Posted - 10/30/2023 : 12:00:40
My 2008WK has a factory single, on the port side, anchored on the deck, just ahead of the boarding ladder. A huge improvement over my 250WB with the split.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page