Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Wood filler...Off topic but would love your advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dalelargent Posted - 04/19/2019 : 09:58:07
Hi all,

I have a porch rail that is in sad shape after this winter. The rail is a 2x6 laying flat/horizontal and acts as a cap rail around the porch. One area, approximately 6 sq inches, has rotted horribly, but only about 1/2 inch down. I would like to replace the specific board, but the carpentry will be sort of nightmarish and I have been dreading it.

I awoke with a thought this morning. Surely there is some product I can mix up and pour into the affected area (after removing rotted material). I thought of this in relation to how some have drilled rotting deck cores and poured in epoxies or what have you.

Any recommendations on what I could do? By the way, the finished product will be painted with house paint.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Derek Crawford Posted - 05/04/2019 : 09:41:11
There are a couple of products on the market (one is called Penetrating Wood Filler) which solidify rotten wood. It pours into the area and sets so solid that you can not get a screw into it!
Peregrine Posted - 05/04/2019 : 09:24:23
Someone mentioned it above. Bondo!
Easy to work with. Will need painting as it is greenish. If possible take a plane or belt sander and give the entire cap a peak sloping off to each side. It will keep water from pooling on the flat surface.
Use a primer and good exterior paint.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/04/2019 : 08:50:16
Git Rot is a "penetrating" epoxy--very fluid, which soaks into the fibers of rotting wood and (hopefully) stops the sub-surface spread. I would suggest that as the first step, and then thickened G-Flex as needed to level and smooth the area.
Chief RA Posted - 05/04/2019 : 08:02:40
Use auto body filler (Bondo) as it won't absorb water and will fill well. Might be good to pour in liquid epoxy first to soak in and seal weak areas. Chief
islander Posted - 04/19/2019 : 14:19:00
G flex is what I used I think. Only because it was what I had laying around. You want it to flow and soak into the wood so having it warm will help.
dalelargent Posted - 04/19/2019 : 13:09:21
Thanks for the encouragement, Scott. I will give it a try.

I have some g flex laying around. Do you suppose that is suitable?

The specific spot had a knot which seems to have dramatically increased the issue. The rest of the cap railing is fine.
islander Posted - 04/19/2019 : 11:15:19
I fixed a rot area in a window sill by filling it with epoxy. I filled it full then let it soak in. After it hardend I re filled it to level it out then painted it. The cap rail should be on an angel to shed water. Sounds like water is pooling on the level cap rail causing the rot.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page