Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Lifting Keel from 1860

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sethp001 Posted - 05/23/2019 : 05:51:28
“Records also noted that the schooner was built of southern yellow pine planking over white oak frames and was outfitted with a 13-foot-long centerboard that could be raised or lowered as needed to access shallow harbors.”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/05/clotilda-the-last-american-slave-ship-found-in-alabama/
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/23/2019 : 20:08:10
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

It’s incredible that the soft muddy bottom of the Mobile Bay preserved that slave ship for these 160 years!
I have evidence of the same phenomenon at my dock, where we cut open a 33-year-old piling we removed. It was like new below the mud line, less so below the waterline, and most decayed above the waterline--especially at the top where rain soaks into the end-grain.

Quite a story there... The Amistad, now a reproduction of the slave ship and maintained here in Mystic, represents another fascinating story of a slave mutiny, recapture, trial, and vindication memorialized by the Spielberg film of the same name.
Voyager Posted - 05/23/2019 : 15:41:43
Wow, this is very timely. A few weeks ago I watched the PBS Show “Finding Your Roots” where the host interviewed the musician Questlove who’s ancestry is linked to the Africatown community near Mobile AL.

The most touching moment in the show was when the host, Henry Louis Gates, Jr, read the names of Questlove’s direct ancestors who were brought from Benin (Ouidah) to Alabama on the ship, showing the title documents to the owners’ property on the screen.

That’s when he broke down realizing the entire chain of events from that moment in 1860 up to the present day. Until then it was all in the hazy abstract, but now it all suddenly came into sharp focus for him.

It’s incredible that the soft muddy bottom of the Mobile Bay preserved that slave ship for these 160 years!
Derek Crawford Posted - 05/23/2019 : 07:34:31
Thanks Seth. Very interesting read.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page