Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pop top

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnnyd Posted - 07/03/2019 : 14:27:35
Just wondering if there is another way of propping up the pop-top without disconnecting the boom Vang.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Peregrine Posted - 07/27/2019 : 06:46:45
I use a snap shackle on my vang at the mast. I also have turned it around so the cam cleat is at the boom and the line dangles in the companionway and is reachable from the cockpit.
I single hand and have all lines led aft and it made sense to be able to reach the vang easily.
Lee Panza Posted - 07/26/2019 : 19:53:44
I not only use snap shackles on both ends of the vang, I reposition the entire assembly between the gooseneck downhaul and an eyestrap that I've installed on the pop-top; in that position I can use the vang as a tackle to raise the pop-top. It's quick and it sure makes it a lot easier to use the pop-top.
redeye Posted - 07/26/2019 : 06:55:20
often people rig a snap shackle quick release with a swivel and a line or leather line coming off the release pin. quick Disconnect from the bottom of the boom.

Some rig a block and tackle like that also to use as a preventer. Easy and quick to release.
dalelargent Posted - 07/25/2019 : 08:52:22
I frequently raise the pop top, but never remove the vang. I do have to loosen/relax the line a great deal. After doing so, it just rides forward from the pop top pushing it forward as raised. I do often have to help the vang and line to the side of the mast so the forward edge of the pop top can meet the mast.
Derek Crawford Posted - 07/25/2019 : 08:10:28
In the C22 manual there is a template for a decorative wooden shape to fit under the sides of the pop-top when it's raised. I don't know whether it's available on line. BTW I never undid the vang, just loosened it and as the pop-top was raised it pushed the lines out of the way.
Steve Milby Posted - 07/25/2019 : 07:23:08
If you need to sail downwind without the vang, don't try to sail dead downwind or wing and wing. Instead, sail in broad reaches on alternate tacks. While on a broad reach, let the traveler all the way down and ease the mainsheet. The mainsheet and traveler will restrain the boom from lifting much.

When you have to gybe, center the traveler and lock it there, and then bring in the mainsheet. When you make the turn, the gybe will be controlled and the boom won't swing very far. After the gybe, ease the traveler and mainsheet as before.

By broad reaching downwind, generally you'll make about the same progress downwind as if you sailed DDW. (Sometimes a little more and sometimes less, depending on the conditions.)
SKS Posted - 07/25/2019 : 05:53:58
I've found the single biggest hurdle to using the pop-top is removing the boom vang. Releasing the circular cotter pin to be able to release the vang fastener is a real PITA.
I've bought a swivel bail with a quick release bail to make removing the boom vang much easier.
I only need to release one side, the one at the mast.
redeye Posted - 07/05/2019 : 05:40:49
you might be able to reef and raise the boom.

Always rig something else to keep the pop top up. The rig rattles and that little screw comes loose and drops and you don't know it has dropped, very dangerous as the pop top is heavy.

sethp001 Posted - 07/03/2019 : 17:31:53
No, you must disconnect the vang. And you can sail well to windward without the vang, but you’ll want it when sailing off the wind.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page