Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Main Mast Sheave
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rchookas
Deckhand

Member Avatar

10 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/15/2005 :  19:12:25  Show Profile
I am new to sailing, just purchased a 2000 250 winged keel that is on Lake Ray Hubbard, when raising the main sail, the main halyard does not raise smoothly, the last foot or so it seems to hit a snag. Does the main halyard only go through the sheave that is on the top of the mast, or are there other's it passes through. I have been reading some great information on this forum and I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond.

Richard C-250WK
Lake Ray Hubbard
East Texas

Edited by - on

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2005 :  19:50:55  Show Profile
Welcome aboard!
There should be only one sheave for the main. Make sure your bow into the wind before you raise your sail. Is everything loose before you hoist, ie. reef line, boom vane? The last foot of so on my boat really takes a good yank to get it up. It may help to lube your sail tract. I use a product sold by West Marine "Dry Teflon sailtrack Lube". I understand you can use soap and get the same results.

Edited by - Tom Potter on 08/15/2005 19:52:23
Go to Top of Page

rchookas
Deckhand

Members Avatar

10 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2005 :  08:34:48  Show Profile
I had dropped the main sail after dark to try some fishing, had the bow into the wind, I had the sail raised to the last foot or so and then it got hard to pull, instead of checking for a problem, I gave it a good yank. After dropping the sail to check for problems, I found that the reef line had become tangled. Now when I raise the main halyard it does not sound right, and I can only raise it to about a foot short of the top. I am going to try and get a good look at the masthead sheave.
Thanks, I was hoping there was just the one at the top.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page