Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Nice Night--picts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/17/2005 :  00:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I just got a used fun sail on eBay. I just came in off the water from its first sail and am sitting in the slip and thought I would ask. Did you sail tonight? You should have!

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2005 :  07:33:12  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Very cool Frank :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2005 :  08:20:41  Show Profile
Looks like you had a beautiful night sail! I wish I could do the same, but Folsom Lake has a "sunrise to sunset" policy; boaters are supposed to be back in their slips or hauled out by sunset, and if not spending the night, you have to be ready to drive home no later than 21:45 as the gate is closed and locked at 22:00. How much longer is your season at Cheney, before winter haul-out date?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

gnorgan
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
563 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2005 :  18:26:49  Show Profile
Fantastic!! Sitting here having just hooked up my daughter's computer in her new apartment in San Luis Obispo. She's starting her second year Monday. Thought I'd "check in" and see what was happening here on our website and caught your pics. Great!! Wish I were sailing right now but my daughter comes first.
Will be sailing next Friday evening off San Diego and then Saturday night, too. I like to sail straight west out of Mission Bay until the sun sets below the horizon, then turn around and sail back. Night sailing is terrific and you don't get a sunburn
Happy sailing. Winter sailing off Mission Bay and San Diego is absolutely terrific.

Edited by - gnorgan on 09/17/2005 19:11:20
Go to Top of Page

Gloss
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1916 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2005 :  10:20:34  Show Profile
Hey Frank
What is that black thing on your boom next to your vang.

So how do you like your new 89 wing? Have you sailed it in 15 to 20 knot winds yet? Let us know when you do, and what you think.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pjeffarch
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2005 :  22:47:16  Show Profile
Frank: is your mainsail not in the boom groove?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2005 :  22:49:55  Show Profile
Loose footed main I reckon.
Attached only at tack and outhaul. No boltrope.

Advantage: forms a better airfoil shape at the bottom
of the sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mmac
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2005 :  23:24:19  Show Profile
Frank,
Thanks for sharing a special moment. It reminds me of a sail a few years ago between Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. It was very warm evening. The sun was sinking into the sea to the west and a full moon was climbing from behind the mountains to the east. All around the boat, dozens of dolphins were leaping and splashing.

No night sailing last week, but I did manage a three hour sail mid-day on Thursday. Maybe I can get out with Gary on Friday.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mmac
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2005 :  23:25:42  Show Profile
Frank,
Thanks for sharing a special moment. It reminds me of a sail a few years ago between Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. It was very warm evening. The sun was sinking into the sea to the west and a full moon was climbing from behind the mountains to the east. All around the boat, dozens of dolphins were leaping and splashing.

No night sailing last week, but I did manage a three hour sail mid-day on Thursday. Maybe I can get out with Gary on Friday.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mmac
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2005 :  23:25:43  Show Profile
Frank,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2005 :  07:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Yes I have a loose footed main and love it. The black things are wide elastic velcro straps from Lowes, they are stuck to each other while sailing and allow quick easy sail stowage on the water. I am extremely pleased about the way the boat sails in high wind. I am a high wind sailor and it is important to me that my boat like it. My swinger did very well, this boat does better. It seems to lock in and also has a dampened feel to it. It is as if the wings transfer vertical motion into forward motion. I do not have a heel indicator on this boat and don't want one. I am spending more time on larger boats lately and they make me love my 25 even more.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2005 :  11:31:47  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
I'll have some photos to post soon of my overnight sail Saturday and Sunday to Mexico's Coronado Islands with my kayaking friend, Wes.

Saturday, we left at noon, motored about 100 yards past the bait dock, and never touched the motor again on a 20 mile, 4 hour sail to SOuth Island. No fish caught, but lots of life everywhere. Anchored out, kayaking trip, barbeque, sat in the cockpit watching the full moon turn the sea to sparkling silver. Early to bed. Up at 6:30, pancakes, hot chocolate, sailed around the south end to a sea of miserable 5 foot chop but finally busted out. Motor sailed almost all the way home. Had to change course to avoid a US Navy nuclear submarine.

In the slip by 2 PM, we sailed 45 miles on about 3 gallons of fuel and had a great time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gloss
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1916 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2005 :  09:07:43  Show Profile
Hey Frank
I agree with your assessment that the boat will "lock in" and become more stable.

I have a heel indicator and it's kinda fun, while single handing, to see just how much heel I can get. My personal record is 37 degrees. Yes, yes, before everyone flames me about being inefficient, there is a purpose to seeing what your boat will do, and what it will take. This was a drill I used to teach my whitewater kayaking students, see how far you can go over and then come back up with a brace. If you can touch your ear to the water and come back up you are getting it. I'm trying to figure out how to touch my ear to the water in my 25.

YEE HA

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2005 :  11:18:16  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
37 degrees? I've been to 45 and beyond. (Especially when I go to the leeward winch to sheet in, 250 lbs and all).

The boat doesn't round up till past 45, when you hear the roar from the rudder.

Who's heard that sound?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page