Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Howard's Restor-A-Finish
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Justin
Admiral

Member Avatar

502 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
I wanted to post some pictures of what Howard's Restor-A-Finish looks like. I did a lot of research in the archives prior to deciding on what to use on the interior and a lot of people recommended this product, but I did not see any photos of it. So, here are some photos for everyone to see how well it works. I bought the Light Oak shade as recommended.
Here is a photo comparing one drawer finished and the other showing what it looked like beforehand.

Here is my finished galley:

Here is the forward section of the cabin:

I'm very happy with the results of this finish and my interior is looking great! I'm just about done cleaning all of the cushions and once I put them back in the boat, it's going to be quite a nice interior.

Justin
Previous Owner of Sapphire Breeze - 1982 Catalina 25 SK/SR
My sail blog site: https://reveriesailing.com/

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:57:16  Show Profile
Very nice, Justin!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

thacket3
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
101 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  10:14:28  Show Profile
Justin,
What type of prep work did you have to do? Do you sand first, then use Howards, or do you just go over it? Does it leave any residue?
Tim

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  11:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
When I cleaned all the fiberglass using a mixture of water, Dawn dish soap, and a little bleach, I also wiped off some of the teak at the time. Some of the teak didn't get washed prior. I just used some cheese cloth and wiped the wood. It instantly looks better. Using the cheese cloth and Howard's, I slightly scrubbed some of the dirtier spots, such as the crevices and corners and it came out great. There wasn't much residue that I noticed and I don't think it left an oily feel. It just wicks into the wood and dries quickly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Downbucket
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:15:47  Show Profile
Justin:

Looks great. Did you order the product direct? If not, who sells it? Thanks for sharing.

Will

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Downbucket
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:47:09  Show Profile
Hi Justin:

Just went to the website. Interesting. Was wondering if you used all three products: wood cleaner, Restor a Finish, and wood preserver? Also, what color was a match for the wood?

Thanks.

Will

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
I used their dealer locator on their website, http://www.howardproducts.com/dlrloctr.aspand found several local retailers, most seemed more like small businesses I haven't heard of, but I bought mine at a near by Sears Hardware store that was listed. It was only about $7-8 for the can which is more than plenty for our interiors.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Downbucket
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:52:18  Show Profile
Hi Again:

Why did you use the light oak? Why not a darker color to match the wood color?

Thanks.

Will

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:54:00  Show Profile
What would be the diff between this produce and cetol? Just asking out of ignance. I am a metal worker and do not have much experience with wood. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:56:04  Show Profile
This is an add on question to my last post. Should I put anything like this stuff on the hatch boards that are under the seat and births? Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:56:15  Show Profile
This is an add on question to my last post. Should I put anything like this stuff on the hatch boards that are under the seat and births? Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
Will,
Nope, I only used their Restor-A-Finish in the light oak shade. When I read up on here about the finishes, I remember someone said they didn't see any improvement using their Feed-N-Wax after the Restor-A-Finish. I'm thinking the next time I need to give the teak another coating, I will either finish off my current can of this R-A-F or try some lemon oil that many other people are using. I hear the lemon oil will give the interior a nice smell too. My teak didn't look very good since it had been who knows how long since the previous owner maintained it. I figured I'd restore it as Howard's claims R-A-F does and now in the future every few months I'll just oil it. It took me about 5-6 hours to complete the interior teak, not bad.

Here's a photo of the galley when I bought the boat to compare to after I restored it in the above photo. The stairs I brushed as much dirt/sand off as I could, then wiped with the R-A-F. I don't have a picture of the stairs afterward, but they look a lot better.

Edited by - Justin on 01/17/2006 13:11:23
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:21:54  Show Profile
OK, do I have a problem no ones else has. I don't see the links?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RickStevens
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:22:17  Show Profile
Wow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
Hi Will, I used the light oak because that is what everyone else recommended on here that I read. I’m guessing to keep the color as close to natural teak instead of a darker tint. The R-A-F is brownish tinted, but you can see the results and I’m impressed.

Dennis,
I’m with you; I’m totally new to this as well, since I bought my boat just over a week ago. I have done some other wood work, such as finishing my own furniture in my apartment, but I’m still pretty new to a lot of finishing. From my understanding, Cetol is fine on the interior, but really it is more durable and made more for the exterior elements (sun, moisture). I’m using West Marine’s Wood-Pro on my exterior teak and I read on here that it’s their version of Cetol. The Restore-A-Finish is real simple to use, just wiping one coat on and the wood looks great. For the Cetol or Wood-Pro, I have to sand all the old worn varnish off and put on 3-4 coats, waiting at least 24 hours between coats. About putting it on the boards under the seats, I’m not sure. I decided not to just because I don’t want to worry about it marking my cushion covers. Anyone else have any input on whether or not they coat their boards under the cushions?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RickStevens
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:27:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattL</i>
<br />OK, do I have a problem no ones else has. I don't see the links?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Matt,

From what I see, the only active link above is to the Howard's site: http://www.howardproducts.com/dlrloctr.asp. I just did a preview on this message before posting it, and the link works for me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:33:06  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Justin,

That is some improvement ! Have to consider buying that product. I used their search for a dealer and no dealers in my area using my zip code or telephone exchange. But I do have the Sears stores in my area including the little ones that sell just hardware stuff. I may check there. Thanks for posting the photos.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  15:07:37  Show Profile
Justin, if you get a little Restore A finish on the fiberglass or countertop, does it stain, or does it wipe off pretty easily?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  15:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
Steve,

I spilled a few drips on fiberglass and it wiped off easily with a damp rag without staining.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:29:14  Show Profile
Larry - try lumber stores (the non-chain variety) and Arts & Crafts places. I found R-A-F at both of these.
Derek

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  18:55:18  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Derek,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am still searching out of curiosity. Rick sent me an EMail with the suggestion to try a nearby town's zip code and that worked. Not sure why it did not work for my zip but apparently there is an antique store about 10 miles away that has it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ed Montague
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
499 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2006 :  23:22:10  Show Profile
This product is not that hard to find. I have purchased it from my local ACE Hardware store. The color Restore has the consistancy of paint thinner. Lightly colored paint thinner. The finish restorer is a liquid wax. Simply wipe it on and it puts a nice rich luster back into the wood. It has an orange smell which is very nice and fresh. I have used both the color restorer and the finish restorer on my boat with great results.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  08:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
Ed, which is a liquid wax? I'm looking at their products I see the Feed-N-Wax and the spray on Orange Oil. Are you using one of those? Did it add much more to the finish after using the R-A-F? If so, I may give it a try.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:34:44  Show Profile
I've been using Howards for quite a while & it's easy. Takes a few minutes to
rub down the interior and it looks great. Local hardware store should have it.
Don't think it would do any good on the hatches under the seats, mines not a real wood surface. Have thought of painting them some day though.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ed Montague
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
499 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2006 :  23:18:30  Show Profile
Justin, The wax is in a squeeze bottle. First use the R-A-F to put some color back into the wood and cover scratches. Give it a few minutes to dry and then squeeze some of the wax onto a clean cloth and like Paul says just wipe it on. Very simple.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page