Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hull navigation lights info
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveC25
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/09/2006 :  08:16:35  Show Profile
Just for you guys information, my hull navigation lights have needed replacement (the sockets really, not the whole assemblies) so I went down to boatersWorld and they had the exact complete replacement lights, housing and everything, ready to bolt to the hull and wire up. So I am replaceing the whole assemblies rather than just the sockets. They now use bolt on sockets rather than snap-in.

Just thought I'd let you guys know. They are called "T-H Marine - Shark Eye Nav Light Set" .... and they were like $40.00 for the pair (one red and one green), and they look EXACTLY like the hull lights on my Catalina 25.

-DaveC25

1979 Catalina 25 "Pretty Penny" #1166
Palm Bay, Florida

Edited by - DaveC25 on 03/09/2006 08:17:42

mashedcat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:09:58  Show Profile
Are they legal?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
If a transom mounted stern light is legal then bow mounted nav lights are as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
Boaters world is an affiliate by the way -

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveC25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2006 :  13:31:45  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mashedcat</i>
<br />Are they legal?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They're the same ones that Catalina put on the C25 from the factory. At least they appear to be. They say Coast Guard approved.

-DaveC25

Edited by - DaveC25 on 03/09/2006 13:32:43
Go to Top of Page

herbertiii
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2006 :  17:42:58  Show Profile
I just had my C 25 surveyed for insurance, and the surveyor noted that the running lights should be relocated above the gunwale, as per Coast Guard Regs. Things may well have changed since these boats were built, mine is an '82, so before spending money on replacement lights, check the current CG regs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2006 :  18:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I will bet a dollar that you are grandfathered. Check into it. Steve, you with me?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

takokichi
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
321 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2006 :  19:29:25  Show Profile
I believe you are, in fact, grandfathered. Grandfathering is a grand thing, but can lead to hassels. Both my 47 Chrysler and my 73 Norton were exempt from inspection and utterly uninspectable. I used to get stopped all the time and have to explain myself.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2006 :  07:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
I had mine surveyed a year or two ago and the surveyor said they were grandfathered. I did move mine to the pulpit

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:12:05  Show Profile
Just like federally mandated safety changes made in production automobiles over time, aren't the federal requirements for boats, such as installing bow eye nav lights, directed towards the manufacturers and not the consumer?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2006 :  22:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
jurisdiction over boats seems to be a gray area to me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveC25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
152 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2006 :  08:14:00  Show Profile
Well, I'm going to install these replacements rather than having useless holes in my hull. Maybe I'll also get a pulpit mounted light in addition so if I'm ever in heavy seas I can turn the pulpit on instead. I can see the safety benefit of having higher mounted lights, but the in-hull lights look much nicer visually.

-DaveC25

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page