Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Coating on the Swing Keel.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sodonnell
1st Mate

Member Avatar

76 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/12/2006 :  21:22:34  Show Profile
To All,

I have a 1980 C25/SK. The keel has a cresent shaped "crack" about 8 inches long at the lower side of the keel. Tapping on it with a metal hammer produces a sound that makes be think it's a bit hollow in there.
The thing is, it's been this way since I got the boat about 4 years ago.
I tried a barrier coat on it last season which is now flaking off.

I want to lower the keel and grind it down.
I understand there is a coating I can use that will bond and convert the outer surface of the iron keel, but I haven't found it yet.

Any ideas?

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2006 :  00:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
petit makes a "rust loc" primer. I used it on my swing keel, can't say I was too impressed with it but as with most things preparation is everything.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Baker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
402 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2006 :  07:25:00  Show Profile
Last year, I paid a guy to coat mine with coal tar. He's a professional sailboat painter, so I took his advice on what to do. I haven't had a chance to revisit my decision--I'll repaint the keel soon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2006 :  08:51:09  Show Profile
Scott, my cast iron fin keel had that condition. It was a recurring problem, and I never figured out exactly what caused it, but I decided the best approach was to prevent water intrusion to the cast iron, and prevent any kind of electro/chemical reaction, and I think that solved it, just before I sold my boat.

You should start by pinging the entire keel with your hammer, to find any other bad spots. Cut out all the loose material with a cold chisel. Wire brush the bare iron and spray a coat of rust resistant paint over it immediately. Put about 3 coats of coal tar epoxy over it (VC Tar). Fill the damaged area with a good underwater epoxy filler, such as Interlux's Interprotect Watertite epoxy, and sand it smooth. Then cover it with 3-4 coats of either barrier coat or coal tar epoxy, followed by your antifouling paint.

Finally, put a zink or magnesium anode on the keel. I suspect there's some kind of electro/chemical reaction going on there, that generates gas, and the gas lifts the fairing material from the keel, producing the hollow space. Attach the anode with galvanized screws, not stainless steel ones.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page