Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 It was just going too well...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Turtonjs
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/21/2006 :  08:48:05  Show Profile
Great race last night. I have a new foredeck person who is getting settled in, Florida temperatures in the high 70's and wind from 10-14. The boat was moving. We're the smallest boat in our Spinnaker "B" fleet, and we rounded the first mark with several boats behind us. We overtook two boats downwind, everything was going like clockwork.

Windward takedown of the spinnaker, I start rounding up, and I can't figure out why the boat isn't turning and I feel very little pressure on the helm.

I looked down to discover that my tiller...my !@#$!@#$ tiller, delaminated and snapped in half.

If this hasn't happened to you, it's great fun. The capri 25 tiller base is small, at best. My boat is set up for racing, there is not a whole lot of extra gear on board.

We dropped the genny quickly, steared away from the 400+ foot long barge coming up the ship channel, and I held the "tiller stump" with both hands to keep us in one direction.

At this point, we were about 1.5 miles from the club, and my outboard was nestled cozily in the back of my Yukon.

Once sails were down, we realized we could shift crew weight and maintain direction on the boat with mainsheeting and holding the tiller stump. We then "lashed" the tiller back onto the stump with about 10 yards of 1/16" spectra that i had on board. The tiller was at least stable at that point and we had a relaxing sail back to the club and promptly emptied the cooler.

Rather than being furious, I realized one very important thing. We were sailing a great race, we had 30+ foot boats all around us, we had a devastating breakdown and the crew reacted swiftly, with little knowledge other than my instructions.

We swapped no paint with other boats, no one was hurt (we could've spun out bad with loss of rudder control), and we enjoyed an evening sail into the club.

For those of you wondering, my tiller is only 4 years old. It's varnished, laminated teak, and really just a "freak accident". I sailed with a similar tiller on a J24 for 7 years with never an issue.

So....

Does anyone have a spare tiller for sale?

-Josh
Taba Naba #290

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2006 :  12:20:09  Show Profile
Everyone loves to win races, but the most memorable races are the ones where disaster strikes, and skipper and crew rise to the challenge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2006 :  12:56:16  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
We carry the old as a spare on board for that very reason. Take a look for a J-24 Tiller - you might find a used one laying around. that is what we have on the 25.

dw

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turtonjs
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2006 :  07:15:55  Show Profile
Thanks Duane - we have 18 J24's at the club, so there's bound to be a tiller lying around somewhere.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2006 :  09:13:37  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
I had a similar experience in a windward-leeward race on Lake Superior a few years ago. Winds were NW 15, gusting to 25, waves at about 2+ feet. The windward mark was an island with a prominent rock reef runnning south from the island approximately 1/2 mile. We had just tacked up to and away from the reef when, all of a sudden, the rudder felt really sloppy (we were about 1/4 mile from the reef). I had my crew check to see what the problem was. He reported, with eyes the size of saucers, "Al, your rudder's broken in half". Talk about a major pucker. Here we were trying to sail to windward with a broken rudder and being pushed back into a reef with a four foot depth. With a two foot chop we were in danger of a catastrophic grounding.

I immediately slacked all the control lines, gradually retensioning them so we could see what the boat would do on a rudder that had actually bent at a 45 degree angle about half way down. We were able to get the boat moving away from the reef, rejoined the race fleet, passed three boats while rounding the island, and had pleasant downwind run to the finish.

It turns out that the foam core in the rudder had given way and the seem in the fiberglass couldn't hold it together given the pressures caused by the wind and wave conditions. Catalina came out the with their improved balanced rudder at about the same time so I bought one. I also bought a second tiller which I always carry aboard, just in case.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2006 :  09:16:32  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Turtonjs</i>
<br />Thanks Duane - we have 18 J24's at the club, so there's bound to be a tiller lying around somewhere.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Josh,

If you can't find a spare J-24 tiller, you might consider this cheap alternative. I bought a spare handle for a post hole digger at Home Depot to use as an emergency tiller. If I ever have to use it, I've got some extra heavy duty nylon tie-wraps that I can use to secure it to the rudder. Since it is straight rather than curved, it stows easily behind the seat cushion on the starboard settee where it's out of sight and out of the way.

I've never had to use it, so I can't attest to how well the tie-wraps will hold it to the rudder ... I'm sure you could come up with a beefier method to attach it if you're concerned it might not hold up. I suppose you could also use it as a billy club to fend off pirates, or maybe use it to intimidate opposing crews when you're racing in tight quarters ... I haven't tried those either.

'Just a thought ... maybe it'll be of some help.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page