Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Black-soled shoe marks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbriner
Captain

Member Avatar

349 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/14/2006 :  18:45:21  Show Profile
Now that it's better weather we are taking out more friends (through the winter it was pretty hard-core so no one wanted to go). The problem is that some people don't have appropriate foot wear (or they have ignored our plees for light-colored soles). What we end up with is a mess of black marks all over the cockpit. Ok, I know it's not that big a deal, but I do have to spend some time cleaning them off.

Now, here's the question... what have you found that works well to get these black marks off? I have settled on acetone, which takes them off with just a little bit of rubbing, but maybe there is something better out there? What do you use? TIA...

Bill B
Wind Dancer
#4036 84 SR/FK
San Francisco Bay

Edited by - bbriner on 05/14/2006 18:47:43

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2006 :  18:54:25  Show Profile
I think I've used black streak remover with success to remove shoe marks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Cloudveil
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
60 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2006 :  21:46:38  Show Profile
SoftScrub works.
John W.
'89C25WK #5973 "Uzumati"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2006 :  17:13:39  Show Profile
We had a lot of black shoe marks last fall. We used an environmentally friendly cleaner called 'Simple Green'. It worked very well with a boat brush and some lake water.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bbriner
Captain

Members Avatar

349 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2006 :  13:07:02  Show Profile
Thanks guys, but, man, I must be doing something wrong. I tried the black streak stuff and it didn't do a thing. I use Simple Green for my boat soap all the time, with a lightweight scrub brush, and it has no discernable effect.

I switched to acetone after trying both of these after I got boarded by some coasties doing a boat inspection. They had black-soled shoes on and made a mess of my boat.

It's not like I'm obsessing about this... I was just hoping to find something less toxic to my skin (of course I could wear gloves...).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Paul
1st Mate

Members Avatar

57 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2006 :  13:51:02  Show Profile
Chicago's Midway airport used to pay a guy to walk the place and 'erase' black scuff marks from the new floors using a tennis ball skewered on the end of a broom handle. I'm not sayin' a tennis ball will work on fiberglass, but I wouldn't have thought it would work well on a marble floor either.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Cate
Navigator

Members Avatar

199 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2006 :  14:25:12  Show Profile
Another endorsement for Softscrub here. It has just enough abrasion to get out really tough marks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PamC
Navigator

Members Avatar

171 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2006 :  09:04:01  Show Profile
We just finished painting the deck and applying Poliglow to the hull. For surface prep we found the most effective thing to get all marks off was Simple Green with the green scouring pads you buy at the grocery store. I can't remember their official name, but theres usually several brands available everywhere. You can get them in blue also and I think these are usually a little softer. We use Simple Green straight, without dilution.

Is it rude to tell them to take their shoes off? My friends wouldn't be surprised if I demanded that, but then they're my friends so that tells you something right there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2006 :  10:22:19  Show Profile
Hi P, yep Blue is fine, green is rough, and red is course. I just finished the poliglow process and it made a real difference. However to bring it back to new I would have had to sand it down with 400 grit first and that looked like a five day job so I just did the Poliox, Poliprep, than Poliglow. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ajski1000
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
52 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2006 :  11:59:40  Show Profile
I have used non-skid cleaner, Seems to work very well with a brush.
I dont think you should have to use acetone!

AJ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2006 :  06:51:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PamC</i>
<br />Is it rude to tell them to take their shoes off? My friends wouldn't be surprised if I demanded that, but then they're my friends so that tells you something right there.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is it rude? Hmmm...tough call.

At the time of the invite or when you are going over your guest's "what to bring" list, simply remind them not to wear dark soled shoes. If they show up with them, lower the hammer!

Edited by - dlucier on 05/21/2006 06:59:08
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2006 :  09:05:28  Show Profile
Hey Bill,
I keep a couple of pair of boat shoes onboard. Found some of those slip on shoes sailboarders and dingy sailors use really cheap at WM one time. Just the ticket.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2006 :  11:32:25  Show Profile
"Tilex" works pretty well as a deck cleaner. It absolutely kills those pesky black mildew spots too.

&gt;"I keep a couple of pair of boat shoes onboard... Just the ticket."

Ditto here, except mine are K-Mart variety. ;&gt;)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bbriner
Captain

Members Avatar

349 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2006 :  10:45:04  Show Profile
I usually do ask people to wear like-soled shoes, but I guess not everyone has them. The 'guest shoes' idea is a good one. In the meantime I'll give the non-skid cleaner a try.

I'll be prepared the next time the USCG boards me. I'll just say "Please, sir, will you take off your boots before boarding? I have some guest shoes you may wear while you are on-board."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page