Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cleaning and Buffing the Topsides
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lwirth
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/13/2006 :  15:32:18  Show Profile
What is the most efficient way to clean-up and shine-up the topside white gelcoat? I have an 85 Catalina 25 that is in pretty good shape but the white gelcoat has some green algea stains here and there and quite a bit of oxidatation everywhere. I would like to clean her up as best I can before she goes back in the water this spring. Thanks, Larry

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2006 :  16:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I believe that the matt finish on a deck is a valuable thing, glare is a bad thing. I have always used SoftScrub with bleach and a good brush and the results make me very happy. I would suggest you try the SoftScrub alone and see if you aren't ok with it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2006 :  17:34:13  Show Profile
I use toilet bowl cleaner for organic stains. A couple of weeks ago I used it on my scum line and the brown stains disappeared right before my eyes. Since its hydrochloric acid, be careful not to get it around metals or wood.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2006 :  19:29:51  Show Profile
You have 2 seperate problems. 1)stains. 2)oxidation.

For stains I've used Tilex, Bleach-water solutions, and FSR (an Oxalic acid Gel product from Davis). Each worked to good effect with Tilex being the winner on black-spot mold, Clorox on algae, and the FSR as a general whitening agent.

None of these will do anything for your oxidation problem. For that you can either use a rubbing compound followed by wax or an all=in-one cleaning/wax product (Meguiars is my favorite). If you don't like rubbing, another alternative is using a polymer sealant (Poliglow, Vertglass etc).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2006 :  20:59:02  Show Profile
Frank,

Softscrub is a mild abrasive that may dull the shine of the topsides gelcoat.

Edited by - dlucier on 11/13/2006 21:00:19
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2006 :  21:50:22  Show Profile
Larry is asking about the boat's topsides (area from waterline to gunwale), not the deck itself.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2006 :  05:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
I usually hit the topsides with 3m cleaner/restorer wax with a buffing wheel (or some years by hand). I think my topsides are too permanently marred for the poliglow stuff.

One tip with the 3m...work in very small areas

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2006 :  06:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I have never seen algae on the topsides of a boat so I replied to it as a deck question.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lwirth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:42:09  Show Profile
Sorry I wasn't clearer in my original post, I was probably thinking about cleaning up all the white surfaces above the waterline at the time - sides and deck. From what everybody's written so far, I've got a lot of good ideas about the clean-up part with the understanding that only the sides should be waxed, not the deck. My Catalina 25 is in amazingly good shape for being over 20 years old -- all on fresh water of course. I don't really mind the oxidation that much, it certainly makes for a non-slippery deck. Even red wine stains that I can't get out are eventually bleached out by the sun. Thanks again for all the comments. Larry

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

wmeinert@kconline.com
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
353 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2006 :  09:07:45  Show Profile
The safest and most labor saving way is to use a high pressure washer!!!! You will be amazed at the results especially for that green stuff and what blows out from under the rail track. Also HP spraying realy cleans teak very well if it's not varnished. Then I use what they call a liquid polimer wax on my deck. No buffing required and last for two or three seasons. Ask Frank Hopper the name of what he uses,I used it this year and wow does my 77 look great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
vertglass

lovettmarine.com

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2006 :  13:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I suggest being careful with a pressure washer around teak or other wood. The force can erode the softer parts of the wood grain, leaving the hard parts higher. If you intend to end up with smooth woodwork, I suggest using cleaning and surface preparation methods which won't gouge out softer areas. I stick with sand paper and solvents as much as possible. And although I haven't used them much, scrapers have a long standing reputation for leaving a level surface.

-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page