Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Crazing/Cracking Gelcoat on Transom
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smhawley
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/28/2007 :  14:09:31  Show Profile  Visit smhawley's Homepage
I am considering the purchase of a Catalina 250WK.

There is some crazing/cracking of the gelcoat, mostly on the transom.

How concerned should I be about this? I am not concerned about structural problems but water intrusion over time.

Does anyone have any guess on cost if I were to have the transom area sanded and refinished with new gelcoat?

Would you consider this a make or break concern?

I am also told there is a little bit of water coming in through the hull to deck joint and that it should be re-caulked. How big of a deal is that? Something I can easily do myself or a major project?

Thanks,

Scott Hawley
Orlando, FL

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  14:30:23  Show Profile
Having recently purchased a 250 WK, I'd say the most important lesson I learned (from this forum, by the way) was the value of a survey. If you're thinking about it but it has a flaw that bothers you, get professional advice. A new gelcoat is a major undertaking and from what I've read here and other places, probably only rarely indicated. The crazing is probably superficial but, a surveyor would be able to provide an educated opinion. AND, provide a little peace of mind.

It seems I read something specific about cracks on the transom of a 250WB but, can't remember exactly where. Anybody here recall?

One more thing, if the surveyor tells you it needs a new gelcoat, that's a deal breaker. IMO

Good luck.

Edited by - John Russell on 01/28/2007 14:34:26
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  14:37:19  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
Scott,

The "spider" cracks are in every boat old and in some cases new, due primarily to stress in the fiberglass underneither. Thee re a number of refernces on th=is site and other sources on how to repair them. Though it is not difficult, they are also not a cause for concern unless you are interested in a blemish-free finish. in that case you'll be working more than sailing to repair them as they occur.

As to the leak in the hull to deck joint. Again a relatively easy fix once the leak is located. I am a C25 owner so not familiar with the joint in a 250. Other 250 owners will help. This is not a show-stopper though. If the sails, standing rigging, running rigging, plumbing, electrical, and the motor, are in satisfactory condition, then buy it. Once you've become an owner, you'll find yourself becoming a do-it-yourself handyman so small stuff like leaks and gelcoat cracks are not an issue.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

smhawley
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  17:25:03  Show Profile  Visit smhawley's Homepage
Thanks I have had the boat surveyed so that is how I know about the issues. I have a call in to the surveyor but have not yet had a chance to talk to him so I thought I would seek out some more information here.

The surveyor also mentioned some delamination on the cabin top near the mast and said it could be fixed by injecting some fiberglass/resin.

The boat is a good buy if none of these issues are too major, but I really don't want a "project boat." The boat is a 1998 model so I expect some work to be needed.

Here is a picture of the crazing I am talking about, the hull is dirty so it makes it kind of hard to see:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2007 :  08:49:19  Show Profile
Scott, "Just my two cents" If I were buying that sailboat Scott and had your area of concern in that transom area, I would have scrubed it clean or had the seller clean the whole boat before a surveyor looked at it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2007 :  16:44:19  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
If I add another two cents I'll be up to four cents but, here goes anyway. In my opinion, the delamination on the cabin top might be a a show stopper for a new boat owner. However, you might check out the used boat market for similar 1998 250's and see what they are running in general. Then check out the cost of having someone do the delamination repair. If the boat is still a bargain and everything else is satisfactory then buy the boat.

Frankly I can't imagine the cabin top delaminating on a 1998 boat unless the mast tabernacle wasn't adequatley sealed at the factory or the PO added some hardware that wasn't properly sealed. If the latter is the case, perhaps the owner will help fund the repair. By your picture, the boats been unused for a while so the owner may be ancious to sell under those conditions.

Edited by - aeckhart on 01/29/2007 16:48:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page