Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Bolt identification
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/30/2007 :  23:12:29  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Some of the bolts I've been cutting off of my trailer are marked with a large 5 on the head. I haven't been able to find any sites out there that tell me what a 5 means. I'm sure it's a hardness grade, and I want to make sure to replace them with similar grade bolts. Do any of you know what the 5 means? Just to stave off some questions, it's the numeral 5 not six hash marks like you'd see on a grade 8 bolt.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --

Edited by - delliottg on 10/30/2007 23:21:49

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2007 :  05:55:29  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I could not find a marker identification "5" but if it has 3 lines on it radiating out half-way from the center to the outside on the bolt head, then it is a carbon steel bolt with a 105,000 to 120,000 psi tensile strength. (But the bolt identification tables I looked at did not show a "5" designated on the head. just the lines to denote tensile strength. Some bolts do have identification letters and numbers denoting matl such as SS.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2007 :  08:41:28  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Larry,
Thanks for the response. They just have a single "5" on the heads, no lines. I suspect they're old bolts, but I don't know that for sure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ed Cassidy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
365 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2007 :  09:11:50  Show Profile
Perhaps metric? The bolts on my Isuzu all have numbers, 8,10.5 etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2007 :  15:08:11  Show Profile
Certainly isn't a standard marking (at least by current standards).
As speculated, it could be an archaic marking for Grade 5.

As an alternative thought, how long are the bolts? Are they 5"?

I use 316 stainless or hot-dip galvanized on all my trailer bolts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2007 :  15:37:59  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As an alternative thought, how long are the bolts? Are they 5"? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

No, these are the hated 1-1/2" x 1/2" bolts they put inside the tubes so you can't get a wrench on them or adjust them. I'm going to replace them with 3-1/2" or 4" bolts, I just want to make sure the replacements are the correct grade.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2007 :  20:45:21  Show Profile
The number "5" on a bolt is an indicator that, if replaced, the replacement bolts should be stainless steel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2007 :  10:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by delliottg</i>
<br />Some of the bolts I've been cutting off of my trailer are marked with a large 5 on the head.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Maybe the "5" means, do not cut?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page