Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Outboard Security
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  18:38:30  Show Profile
Hey, I've got it! Take a metal garbage can, turn it upside down and cut a slot big enough to fit over the motor bracket and then slide the whole contraption down over the motor to hide it from the bad guys! Weave some chains through holes cut in the sides and around the motor and bracket. Might even just attach some short pieces of chains to the sides of the can to make some noise if someone tried to remove the can (sure wouldn't want to be around if the boat was rocking during a storm). It would be so ugly and make so much noise to try and remove that the thieves would move on to something easier. Also would keep the sun off your paint. :):):)

GaryB
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 11/17/2007 18:41:21
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2007 :  23:21:20  Show Profile
Please post pictures when you've completed this mod.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2007 :  07:00:10  Show Profile
Oh, I was going to let someone else try the mod first. I was just throwing out ideas!

I have an old ratty looking '89 Suzuki 2 stroke. I don't think anyone is going to mess with my motor. No that I've said that it will probably be missing when I go down to the boat.

GaryB
'89 SR/WK
Kemah, TX

Edited by - GaryB on 11/18/2007 07:00:36
Go to Top of Page

kbq
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2007 :  19:04:50  Show Profile
After the first involuntary outboard replacement, I installed a McGard Outboard lock and a Harley Davidson heavy chain and lock wrapped 'round the motor and the stanchion. When the boat was gutted while on the trailer, the thieves left the outboard alone...

Now, if the would-be theives don't mind lotsa noise at the marina (or the storage area when it's on the trailer), ten minutes with a sawzall would still get 'em the motor.

Kevin
wait for me
250wk

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2007 :  22:13:37  Show Profile
Kevin: What you really need is a better neighborhood!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page