Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Soft link revisited
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:27:05  Show Profile
Rather than further the hijack of the "Bow Weight" thread, I re-open this bag of worms here. I know it's been discussed a lot before but, I'm still fuzzy.

I still think that there's a significant difference in the effectiveness of the link (soft or hard)on motors that are 12"-18" aft of the transom on a motor mount. Arlyn, any thoughts?

John Russell
1999 C250 SR/WK #410
Bay Village, Ohio
Sailing Lake Erie
Don't Postpone Joy!

Edited by - on

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2008 :  20:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
There very well could be an effectiveness variation depending on motor set back... but the issue remains, the hull form of the 250 is slow speed handling challenged and needs motor thrusting to overcome its poor slow speed maneuvering trait.

As to how one obtains that, is a personal choice. I discovered very quickly however that to thrust the motor and tiller separately was not cool... it simply caused skipper overload. I couldn't keep an eye on all that needed to be observed and grab the motor cowl and twist on it at the same time as handling the wheel.

There are several issues
<ul><li>prop getting into rudder</li><li>turning ability of the motor</li><li>shifting the motor position as far starboard as possible</li><li>when the motor is mounted on an extension</li><li>turning ratio of motor and tiller</li><li>hard vs soft </li><li>simple vs complex</li><li>ease of use</li><li>does link interfere with raising the motor</li></ul>

On my list was of course a device that would couple the rudder and motor. It either had to allow the motor to tilt up freely either in place or be easily disconnected.

It had to forgive the restricted turn limitations of the motor, meaning it had to allow the rudder to fully go either way even though the motor had a starboard turn limitation.

It had to keep the prop out of the rudder.

It had to easily be coupled for docking or decoupled for either sailing or power cruising.

The starboard turn limitation drove my thoughts from the start towards either a spring loaded device or bungee and bungee is far simpler than spring loaded devices. I should also explain something. I came to mono hulls from multi hulls having owned and raced for many years a Hobie Cat. The Hobie used bungee for several of its systems. The hiking lines were retracted by bungee. The self righting line was retracted to a stored configuration by bungee. The jib sheet ratchet blocks were held in an antifouling position by bungee. A bungee served as an antifouling line to keep the jib sheets fouling with the mast rotating wishbone.

So, being comfortable with bungee, it was reasonable that I looked to it to solve the link issue.

I'm rambling too much here so will get back to point, it is reasonable to think that the turning ratio of the motor and rudder should be matched by the link design. Looking at Frog's pictures, when I set it up on the 3rd generation rudder, I did it exactly like he did with a hardwood extension from longer bolts in the pintle bracket. There is one insignificant difference between my system and what Frog pictured. I like the little bronze quick couplers that one buys at the local hardware store that have a little paddle that opens a figure eight looking clasp and Frog used a caribiner.

This configuration allows tilting of the motor with the clasp set for straight running.

I respect all attempts to produce a hard link, but confess I've had no desire whatsoever to even try because the soft link works so well and is so simple and cheap. Does that piece of bungee running from the motor over to the starboard quarter look a little un-bristol? Sure... but it gets the job done. The same is true for the jib sheet anti fouling line I employ... it doesn't look cool, but it keeps the jib sheets from fouling... so is all right in my book.

Edited by - Arlyn Stewart on 07/11/2008 20:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2008 :  07:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
Right on Arlyn! I've had more people in the marina opt for your system on many different kinds of sailboats especially after seeing me sail into the marina and back in! Try that without a soft link.

Those of you who haven't used this MOD - what are you waiting for??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page