Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Stern Pulpit Seating
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

essen48183
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
143 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/12/2009 :  20:37:29  Show Profile  Visit essen48183's Homepage
My C250 is a 1995 WB that did not come with the stern pulpit seating. I called Catalina Direct and they have a stern pulpit listed with no pictures or description available. None in stock to physically look at because they are made and ordered at shipping time. Can someone who has ordered this verify that this is indeed the left and right stern pulpit seats before I spend $550 + oversized shipping on the same triangle parts I already have.

Thanks.

Essen Davis
Trenton, MI

"Cornbread"
1995 Catalina 250, Water Ballast , Hull #161
http://gallery.me.com/essen#gallery

Edited by - essen48183 on 02/12/2009 20:38:45

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2009 :  17:29:11  Show Profile
Our is a '95 C250 WB Hull #151... Instead you may wish to consider a center seat clamped to the fuel compartment rail... Cost +/- $150 CAN made out of stainless steel tubing. Provides also a good location for mounting a BBQ and stern ensign. The seat itself was made from white 3/8 or 1/2"bread cutting board material bought at Home Depot for about $17.00

Besides using the seat during light wind sailing and motoring we used it also for messy jobs like cleaning fish. The seat is equipped with a "stick-through" slot for allowing to mount the mast support onto the gudgeons without having to remove the seat when trailering.

If, as we did during our Trent/Severn Canal System passage, you want to motor with the mast down and rudder in place, you can make a simple bracket with a short stub fitting between the two side bars and resting on the seat itself.

A center seat eliminated hassles with the backstays etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2009 :  19:38:50  Show Profile
Catalina Direct or the company who builds the catbird seats has to have a blueprint to build from. But given their "buy a pig in a poke" response I would consider further effort there to be the last resort. Instead find a Catalina 250 with the catbird seats and measure to determine if they would fit your boat. If they will fit then steal them ! OOPS, not a good idea ! But seriously you could order seats for a newer boats if they will fit your 1995 boat.

But before you go that route try calling the Catalina Yachts Parts Dept at 818-884-7700. It's reachable Tuesday thru Friday 10AM to about 5PM Pacific time zone. I recently got some baby stays from them. The ordering procedure is a bit strange but the service is good.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2009 :  14:48:12  Show Profile

Stern horizontal mast support on seat with rudder in position. Although the seat will support the sideways motion of the mast it feels/is more secure with the three additional lines.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page