Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 steering broke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2009 :  06:02:17  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
From cell phone
Eye bolt stbd side to arm broke
Hope wm has them in stock!

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

essen48183
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
143 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  07:26:45  Show Profile  Visit essen48183's Homepage
Time to upgrade to open-wire!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  07:28:47  Show Profile
WM should have them or a good hardware store. If not, use the backup tiller. Do you have Arlyn's system?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  11:45:26  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Essen, agreeed.

Got the stbd eyebolt out. Seems it broke from stress frcture. It's bent at the failure pt.

The port bolt is bent also.

I think the verticle spindle the 2 bolts connect to is stiff. If not.siezed.
That would lead to the failure!

WM 3 stores no luck. 3rd store did identify the pt # 618-0 qty 2 takeup eyes.

Going to drop the weekend :-{

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  12:41:08  Show Profile
Bummer Paul. You've worked hard on the web site and deserved a good sail.

I really like Arlyn's open wire steering upgrade. In addition to giving much better control and improved feel, all of the parts can be had at a Home Depot.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/25/2009 12:44:04
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  14:49:51  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Temp fix with unwelded eye bolt from ACE Hardware that should get us back to the dock.

Willl call edson monday,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

essen48183
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
143 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Visit essen48183's Homepage
Where'd the "Time to upgrade to a tiller" jab go? That was funny. It really was time to upgrade to a tiller- a backup tiller-, as you were posting from your mobile phone from a broken boat. Part of the reason I check these forums so often.... good group of humorous fellows with a common interest.

I didn't want to hijack the thread so I was waiting for it's useful conclusion before I jumped in with things that could cover the hole in the floor for the "permanent tiller upgrade"

Anyways... I have an extra tiller. I recently converted to wheel steering, so I have the main AND backup tiller. I'll ship one to you if you need it, Paul, in case someday something breaks and you need to get back to the dock and there is no ACE hardware floating nearby. Just message me with your address.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  18:23:12  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We have a backup tiller but I was too busy fending us off other boats at the time.

The steering broke as we were making our way to transient slip in 30+ knots of wind.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2009 :  22:43:01  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Paul, Keep It Simple Sailor, trash the wheel and switch to a tiller. No sailing vessel under forty feet has a "need" for a wheel helm. Wheels are wants, not needs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  08:11:44  Show Profile
I thought this would be a good time to UPGRADE to a tiller.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  08:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
No kidding... I thought of that a few times, but patching those frigging holes... yecht.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  08:56:59  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Frank, I'm firmly on the wheel side of the argument!

I know simple is good, I just love the feel of the wheel.

Btw. Itls my first non tiller boat even though I have only ever owned 2 previous boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  09:04:48  Show Profile
Paul, I'm with you but for those wanting to convert wheel-to-tiller here is an idea for covering the pedestal hole.

Opening skylight!

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/26/2009 09:05:27
Go to Top of Page

essen48183
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
143 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  12:58:50  Show Profile  Visit essen48183's Homepage
You could glass a clay pot in there and grow vegetables. A true circumnavigator would rather have fresh vegetables than a wheel helm.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  13:45:11  Show Profile
The spindle that rides in the slot of the rudder control arm has been talked about many times when discussing the Edison pull/pull system. The spindle must be lubricated with some type of grease, I use white grease, but this is also true for Arlyn's' open wire system. If the spindle on the open wire is not greased something will surely break over time.
By the way I just spent three days installing the open wire system. Why three days? Because if you have a holding tank on the starboard side you must lower it a minimum of 1 1/4 inches in order for the main pulley assembly to fit above it. I also found out after installing that my rudder control arm was installed improperly by the dealer on my replacement rudder. It angles down so as when it enters the transom it is barely above the rudder transom cutout. Something else that needs to be fixed after the Mug Race. This also makes the wire rub on the holding tank since the angles down off the aft pulleys to the rudder control arm. This will of course eventually cut the cable since it rolls off the pulley downward. Will add pics later.

Cut out of the holding tank support

Spacing after 1 1/4 inch removed

Angle of wire off the pulley and rubbing top of tank

Another shot of wire angle.

Edited by - frog0911 on 04/26/2009 14:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  17:33:40  Show Profile
Frog, my cable also angled down which resulted in the pin not moving smoothly in the slot. I fixed it by adding some washers between the Edson arm and Arlyn's kit arm. My Edson arm was at a slight downward angle so notice that I have 4 washers in the aft bolt and 5 in the forward bolt. This makes the arm level.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/26/2009 17:35:04
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2009 :  19:22:52  Show Profile
Randy, I did add five washers to each bolt to get it off the holding tank temporarily. The one difference is your arm appears to come through the transom in the center of the cutout, but mine comes in 1/8 inch above the bottom of the cutout on a downward angle. I will have to get that part fixed before I can determine how many washers I will finally need.

For Paul:
I have the two pull rods and all parts from our pull/pull system if you want them send me and EM with address and I will send. They need some cleaning, but they are not bent.

Edited by - frog0911 on 04/26/2009 19:27:13
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2009 :  05:09:49  Show Profile
One of my eye bolts broke soon after I received the boat (2005) and the cause of failure was the vertical pin was seized and would not rotate. This caused the eye bolts to be bent and eventually fail. I contacted Edson and they sent me repair parts including lubricant (for free) and I now keep a very close eye on the pin keeping it lubricated very well. It seems that a stainless steel pin in an alluminum rudder arm is not necessarily a good idea! BTW, I love my wheel; boats are huge compromises; +'s and -'s! :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2009 :  05:29:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks Don! it is my intention to contact Edson this morning.

What 'parts' did they send you? Just the eyebolts???

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2009 :  09:59:10  Show Profile
I believe Edson sent me a new vertical pin, new eyebolts and a 'special' grease to lubricate the pin with. I am not sure what this 'stuff' is since I am not at the boat but it sticks GOOD. I have periodically checked the pin and have not found a need to add any additional lube yet. I typically test the pin by pressing up and down on the pin insuring that it moves freely AND then have someone turn the wheel while I observe the eye bolts to make sure that the pin slips in the rudder arm resulting in the eye-bolts NOT turning. I just ordered a new boot and some additional lube for maint. and Edson still had my order on record!

BTW make certain that your system is not installed upside down; on my boat the installer(s) placed the eye bolts upside down which I am sure caused issues as well (Top eye bolt on the bottom etc).

Don

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2009 :  20:11:26  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks Don.

I spoke with Edson today, they have already shipped (fedex) the replacement eyebolts and the new pin and most likely lube.

I ordered a new boot just in case I do damage when pulling the arm out.

They are also sending a 'bulletin' about the correct assembly of the eyebolt adjusters. I'll pdf it and post it.

Must say, there was not a moments hessitation on suppling a solution.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2009 :  07:03:16  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Paul,
Were you able to get JD all fixed up, or are you still waiting on parts?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2009 :  16:51:06  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The parts package arrived yesterday, but I'm swamped till Sunday. It's going to be a busy day.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page