Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Deteriorating dock
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Turk
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/04/2009 :  05:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
The Admiral and I went for a sail yesterday and when we arrived at the dock we were shocked to see one of our cleats that our boat was tied to had completely pulled out. The rope (and cleat) was hanging from the side of the boat. On inspection the two 3 inch lag bolts had pull completely out of the wood.

We are now docked at Mosquito state park in Ohio. The marina is very nice but the dock are starting to get old. The treated wood in some areas is completely soft when it comes to holding power. I thought about running larger bolts all the way through and using washers and a nut on the other side, but I think this should be the responsibility of the park itself. I'm concerned about the other bolts and cleats also.

I will take a visit to the park office today and discuss the issue with them. I did notice they replaced about a tenth of the finger docks wood this spring (not mine). Maybe they could replace the one 2 x 6 that runs in front of my boat to solve the problem.

Turk

www.turk.mysailboatblog.com
2003 C250 WK #663
Northeast Ohio
Mosquito Lake/Lake Erie

Edited by - on

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2009 :  06:43:23  Show Profile
Your slip could be fine, and then another boat could break free and bounce around for many hours!

Better buy more fenders in self-defense, or make some fender boards with 2 fenders and a plank, along your most exposed side.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2009 :  06:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
We are ata municipal marina. Since the folks runnin gth eshow are unionized, any improvements are seen as threatening their positions (or something - I've never worked in a union environment so I really don't understand as well as I should).

Going to the office before doing work yourself is a good idea.

If you go to replace the board, don't be surprised if the top of the stringer it is sitting on is spunky as well. You may want to pick up some 'L' brackets and get below any rot in the stringers for your attachment points.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2009 :  07:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
I do have two large fenders between me and my neighbor. I am interested in what you called a fender board. What is that? I've never heard that term.

I'll be making a trip over to the park in about and hour or so. My first stop will be the office. I'm sure they will get someone on it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2009 :  07:37:15  Show Profile
Here's a photo of a pretty small fender board for one piling.

Here's a page describing how to make [url="http://www.practical-sailor.com/newspics/charts/887fenderboards.pdf"]fender boards.[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Turk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2009 :  12:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Turk's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnP</i>
<br />Here's a photo of a pretty small fender board for one piling.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I see. I don't have any pylons though.

I just talked to the office and sure enough, they do not want me to fix it. She filled out a work order and said they would get to it sometime today.

Case closed I hope.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2009 :  13:15:28  Show Profile
You are taking the right approach. Cleats should be through-bolted with large fender washers on the bottom side. A storm blew through here a year ago. Many lag-bolted cleats pulled out, the bolted ones did not. This is also why cleats on the boat should always be through-bolted as well. There can be tremendous forces on the cleats.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 05/04/2009 13:16:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page