Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Liveaboard Catalina 25 in winter in MA?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mlally
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:06:02  Show Profile
Im thinking of selling everything and moving on to my C25 in Salem Ma in Nov.

Someone talk me out of it,

I want to simplify my life as much as possible.

I like adventure but is this boat to small to live on? and in the winter.

I will be docked in a well protected marina.

Any helpful suggestions if I do it?

BTW I mistakenly posted this in Capri 25 forum, everyone except one person thought it was a bad idea.

Salem Mark

Edited by - on

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:26:52  Show Profile
Mark - There are others w/ far more experience than me, but for my $.02...you can live aboard for a couple of weeks...but even alone, it's going to be tight...you can make the boat livable - have shore power, add electric heaters, shore water supply,etc...but it's really tight.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:55:42  Show Profile
Oh, no, Mark. I think everybody thought it was a bad idea but, I think it's certainly doable. It might depend on your motivation. If it is strictly financial (that is, it's the boat or a homeless shelter) I'd take the boat except on the coldest of nights. Otherwise, I'd wait for spring to try the confined space of a C-25 for an extended stay.

But, if your determined....

You probably could configure some kind of boom tent arrangement to keep snow off the companionway and minimized in the cockpit. $50 worth of duck cloth at Walmart and a cheap sewing machine would probably make something that could last the season. ($250 worth of sunbrella would last many seasons) A trip to the home depot to buy sheets of solid insulation to strategically insulate your berth wouldn't cost a fortune. The foil lined kind directly under a good quality sleeping bag (foil side up) would certainly keep you warm on the coldest of New England nights. Those little oil filled electric radiators would pump enough heat to keep you warm enough. Is electricity assured?

The issue of rainy, dreary, New England days and nights that will keep you cooped up inside could be tough on mental status unless you really like being alone in a dark (relatively) cramped space.

You know, the more I think of this, with the right attitude, it could be quite an adventure if you have a safety fallback.

Who was it that said the difference between and ordeal and an adventure is attitude? I think it was a sailor!

Edited by - John Russell on 09/03/2009 08:56:38
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:49:07  Show Profile
As everyone else said, it will be tight. But if you are considering living aboard alone it might not be much worse than living in one room, like at a rooming house. You can extend the living space by adding a cover, not just a boom tent, but building a frame and shrink wrapping the whole boat. Chosing a dark color material for the cover will help considerably with the heating. My understanding is the New Englanders love to read and have many ways of entertaining themselves during long winters. I know you were looking for someone to talk you out of it, but I if you are reasonably young and in good health it might be fun and a great experience for one winter. Think of the stories you can tell your grand-children when the are whining about having nothing to do on a cold rainy winters day. I personally know of one guy who has lived aboard, year round, here in Michigan, where our winters are comprable to Maine. Admittidly he is on a 40 footer but he and his wife raised a family on board so he probably has less room than you will have. Good luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:29:45  Show Profile
Mark I wrote you a few words in the Capri link. To add to it I would recommend a clear or light colored shrink wrap. Renzo is correct that a dark color will be warmer, but when I lived on board in Michigan being able to see out and to have daylight enter the boat was a big help psychologically (don’t listen to what Renzo will tell you about my mental state, it’s only half true) As for your comfort aboard, if you think about driving your car in the coldest winter days. It is a small area, with a small heating system. It has NO insulation at all, but I bet your car can get so hot it can melt your socks off. My point is if you get a decent heater you can make it quit comfy on board. As I stated in the other reply, I preferred a diesel furnace rather then electric heaters. A furnace designed for a boat is safer and will do a better job. You may want to look into one that is powered by your 12 volt DC battery. If your marina is like the one I was in the electrical power may be undependable. A 12 volt system will still work in a black out, even if you have to swap batteries you can maintain heat. I will finish my preaching with this word of caution. Whatever heating set up you use be sure you have it checked for safety by someone who qualified. Improper ventilation can kill you. I don’t want to scare you; I actually want to encourage your endeavor. But you can’t just rush into to it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:55:33  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
I probably spend more nights aboard my Catalina 25 than anyone. Just this week I have stayed aboard 2 nights and will do so again Saturday and Sunday.

Not being able to stand up inside is a killer.

Get a Catalina 30.

If you have to do it in a Catalina 25 I hope you have the poptop and a poptop cover.

There is no place to store clothes. You can barely cook.

I have a friend who lived aboard a C25 for a whole summer with no problems. He spent a lot of time in the cockpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

At Ease
Admiral

Members Avatar

672 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  13:56:37  Show Profile
Sure you "can" do it. If you don't mind being cold, cramped, not having running (hot) water, not being able to stand up, not having a shower, not having a galley...what about a head? Summer might be tolerable, not sure about winter. I for one, have spent way too many uncomfortable nights on boats and other things and places to want to try MA in the winter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  14:22:45  Show Profile
Live aboard a C25 in Massachusetts during the winter? OK, I'll say it - Don't do it. Sorry. You can have all the tarps and space heaters you want - that will be miserable. Get a bigger boat in a warmer state. The C25 is a very capable daysailer that can handle cruises of a few weeks. Full time living? No way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:37:23  Show Profile
Jim hit the big one. Ya gotta eventually stand up. If you can't you'll b miserable.

Take this from a guy who broke his leg skiing in January, and the leg recently re-broke (the titanium plate broke and the bone never healed, I ain't no spring chicken).

Standing up is VERY important!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:41:11  Show Profile
Maybe Mark is only 5'5"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:44:01  Show Profile
I'm only 5'4". I love my 250 WK!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  17:40:05  Show Profile
A friend of mine lived for 2 years on his 35 footer in Boston harbor with an oil heater in the winter, and then he got another job in Connecticut and sold the boat. He had had enough.

But you're joking, right?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2009 :  21:40:29  Show Profile
I agree with the attitude aspect. If you are motivated and are ready for challenging conditions, then do it. I also agree with standing up! You can also spend an occasional weekend at a motel instead of a summer weekend on the boat. I would also spring for a real mattress; a week of sleeping on 3 inches of foam is enough for my 65 yr. old bones

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2009 :  07:48:49  Show Profile
<b>Just to clarify a few points:</b>
1- <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(don’t listen to what Renzo will tell you about my mental state, it’s only half true)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<b>I'm only half right about Glens mental state 90% of the time!</b>

2- "Standing up"
<b>Pop top, pop top, pop top. and a High-framed cover over the entire boat</b>

3 - "Toilet"
<b>Port-a-potty, emptied at the marina facilities, or local gas station</b>

4- "It's going to be tight."
<b>YEP!</b>

5- "It's going to be uncomfortable"
<b>YEP!</b>

6- <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I want to simplify my life as much as possible.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>You can't get much simpler than this
If you want to do it it can be done. It won't be a walk in the park. It won't staying at the Ritz. But if done correctly and with proper precautions and planning it won't kill you. </b>

7- <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like adventure but is this boat to small to live on? and in the winter<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Adventure means getting out of your comfort zone - this will be uncomfortable. (Note to Glen: With all the improvements you've made,I think you need to change the name of your boat)</b>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:04:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Renzo</i>

2- "Standing up"
<b>Pop top, pop top, pop top. and a High-framed cover over the entire boat</b>
With this setup on a mild winters day the enclosed cockpit will be quit comfortable, with plenty of head room

4- "It's going to be tight."
<b>YEP!</b>
I had rented a storage locker, and removed every thing that was not necessary

5- "It's going to be uncomfortable"
<b>YEP!</b>
That depends on you.

(Note to Glen: With all the improvements you've made,I think you need to change the name of your boat)[/b]
Renzo, the name has nothing to do with my comfort zone, it's about the ride

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:33:28  Show Profile
many, many years ago I worked with a guy who had a then 2 year old 1979 25. He went through a very messy divorce and, as he put it, to "simplify" his life moved with his seven year old daughter onto his boat during winter in Connecticut. I remember talking with him every morning, vicariously living a young man's dream of living aboard a boat. He said while his daughter loved it, he was always cold, could not stretch out, cooking was very difficult, things were always damp -- especially clothes -- and he learned to cherish going to the YMCA every morning for a hot shower. He survived about four months before giving in and moving into an apartment. My guess is that it would be fun to try, but you should have a very solid "plan B" if it proves to be more than you had expected!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DoubleD
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
61 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2009 :  05:42:48  Show Profile  Visit DoubleD's Homepage
My wife and I lived on our C25 last winter in the Keys for two months. We made an enclosure for the cockpit, which made all the difference in the world. We spent most of the time in the cockpit. We did not have shore power, but we had plenty of battery power. With shore power, I think you could get enough heat to be comfortable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

At Ease
Admiral

Members Avatar

672 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2009 :  07:38:36  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleD</i>
<br />My wife and I lived on our C25 last winter in the Keys for two months. We made an enclosure for the cockpit, which made all the difference in the world. We spent most of the time in the cockpit. We did not have shore power, but we had plenty of battery power. With shore power, I think you could get enough heat to be comfortable.

The key word in this post is "KEYS."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2009 :  08:24:53  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
get youself arrested - more room, better food, and commonly, better company.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2009 :  08:52:24  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleD</i>
<br />We made an enclosure for the cockpit, which made all the difference in the world. We spent most of the time in the cockpit.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Do you have any pictures of your enclosure?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hinmo
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
248 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2009 :  08:58:06  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimB517</i>
<br />get youself arrested - more room, better food, and commonly, better company.

Theres a guy in my neighborhood who does just that. He gets arrested on a probation violation or some other relatively petty charge yearly....its a common joke around town, "wheres Donny? oh yeah, temperature is way down". Donny's getting some heat, dental care and 3 squares a day.....every winter, usually out by spring and out fishing

Edited by - hinmo on 09/05/2009 09:42:33
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2009 :  10:43:40  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hinmo</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimB517</i>
<br />get youself arrested - more room, better food, and commonly, better company.

Theres a guy in my neighborhood who does just that. He gets arrested on a probation violation or some other relatively petty charge yearly....its a common joke around town, "wheres Donny? oh yeah, temperature is way down". Donny's getting some heat, dental care and 3 squares a day.....every winter, usually out by spring and out fishing
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Sad but true. In Ohio it costs taxpayers around $65 per day per inmate. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend that money on a boat in a harbor? $1800+/month would make a nice boat payment!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deric
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2009 :  17:22:56  Show Profile
I think if one does decide to live aboard a Cat 25 in the state of Maine for at least one year, the entire experience should be posted on a blog.

It would make some interesting reading for those who are interested in how one adapts to such an environment.

Deric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2009 :  09:37:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Deric</i>
<br />I think if one does decide to live aboard a Cat 25 in the state of Maine for at least one year,...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That would be even crazier... He's in MA-ssachusetts (not that much warmer).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2009 :  11:51:06  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bristle</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Deric</i>
<br />I think if one does decide to live aboard a Cat 25 in the state of Maine for at least one year,...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That would be even crazier... He's in MA-ssachusetts (not that much warmer).

<font size="2"><font color="blue">MA</font id="blue"></font id="size2">. <font size="2"><font color="blue">ME</font id="blue"></font id="size2">.: It's all uppa-U.S. to me

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mlally
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2009 :  12:03:32  Show Profile
tkanks for the comments,

i do have a pop up cover enclosure (so could stand up), would wrap it so have access to cockpit, if I had a cat 30 I would do it in a heartbeat.
Im still on the fence,

I may rent an office for work so I would be on boat only during the evening.

I do believe it would be a great blog

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page