Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mainsheet release (Up or down)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moserd
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/10/2010 :  09:40:51  Show Profile
I took some friends out on my 2005 WK (250) yesterday and it was blowing 24 mph gusting to over 30. These friends are very experience sailors (we together race an S2 7.9) and a great time was had by all. One issue that they 'discovered' and which I have always considered is the issue of releasing the main sheet in a gust. The configuration of my boat requires me to pull the sheet down towards the deck to release and up to cleat off. This is somewhat concerning when you are single handing and the wind is up. Has anyone considered changing this arrangement?

Also our experimentation Saturday indicated that the boat behaved better (faster) without a main reef and with my 135 rolled up to about a 110. This seemed (and still seems) wrong to me but we tried the first reef point in the main and the boat slowed considerably. The heel angle in my opinion was severe (I don't have a clinometer) however my crew seemed to like it. The heel was such that it was difficult to sit on the high side without hanging on to the safety wire AND the helmsman was sliding from side to side. On the port tack the motor (a long shaft, not an extra long version) was well into the water and described as a 'sea anchor' by the crew.

How about some opinions from other 'crazy' folks that sail in that kind of wind.

Thanks,

Don
250 WK #817

Don Moser

Edited by - on

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:36:18  Show Profile
1 have a 2003 WB and boy are our boats different. My mainsheet cam cleats are configured so you pull the line up rather than down to release it.
Also, while cowboys do enjoy "dipping the rails", (or washing the windows)my watching the GPS for an accurate speed reading shows that its really SLOWER! I have been out in 25 to 30, although I usually head in when it goes to anything steady around 20. But at around 15 knots of windspeed,I go to the second reefpoint,(I never use the first), and go to about 25% of the jib. This almost always puts the boat tamely and controlled all the way to hull speed. A look at your wake will show you a nice straight line rather than the scalloping that indicates inefficiency! Test it yourself and see!
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:59:13  Show Profile
Don, I suspect that you may have the mainsheet blocks reversed. Is the block with the cleat neat the boom or the traveller?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2010 :  17:51:29  Show Profile
The 'cleat' portion of the assembly is mounted to the traveler. Anyone have a closeup picture of the cleat /block portion of their mainsheet?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2010 :  18:28:32  Show Profile
The 'cleat' portion of the assembly is mounted to the traveler. Anyone have a closeup picture of the cleat /block portion of their mainsheet?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2010 :  18:39:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by moserd</i>
<br />The 'cleat' portion of the assembly is mounted to the traveler. Anyone have a closeup picture of the cleat /block portion of their mainsheet?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No picture, but my rig is exactly as you describe. The cam cleat is "upside down" at the traveler, so I need to pull down to release. Not enough experience in a blow to determine how much of an issue this is. No intention to single-hand, so the first mate handles this.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2010 :  07:35:01  Show Profile
Don,
Most boats, <font color="red"><font size="3">not all</font id="size3"></font id="red">, are set up this way.
SNAP the sheet line down to release.
As I'v Looked around the marina, this is what I'v found.
Most of my past 11 boats were this way also.
But, thats not to say you can't change things!!!
Turn it around and let us all know how it works for you!!
Dave B.

___________/)_____________/)____________/))))__________________

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

klassi1
1st Mate

Members Avatar

88 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2010 :  08:20:56  Show Profile
I use my foot to pop the sheet out of the cleat then I'm able to ease it. I think most of the boats I've sailed on have been set up this way. It may become more difficult to cleat the mainsheet if you flip it. You can always give it a try and switch back if you don't like it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2010 :  08:59:40  Show Profile
In strong winds I cleat the mainsheet looser than what I want to run with and then pull out the sheet between the cleat and the first pulley it passes through. If you grab the sheet midway between the cleat and pulley the force required is reduced because you are deflecting a tight string instead of trying to pull it lengthwise. It's like an archer pulling back the string on a compound bow. I can instantly let the sheet out enough to level the boat just by uncurling my fingers like shooting an arrow.

Edited by - jbkayaker on 05/20/2010 09:08:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page