Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Edson Pedestal Steering problem.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

txbigfoot
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/25/2010 :  21:45:59  Show Profile
As of late my pedestal steering is very hard to turn. Worse when under way by either motor or sailing. I dont see any obvious problems at the rudder or at the rudder cable connection.
i need to take the compass off and look inside. Anyone have any suggestions what to look for.

Edited by - txbigfoot on 07/25/2010 21:47:22

Dkn420
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
298 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2010 :  04:30:06  Show Profile
I would call Edson directly, I've called them before and they are very helpful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2010 :  05:18:04  Show Profile
if there is no sharp bends in the cable ..try spraying some grease into the cable /housing ..teflon spray i think is best ..but double check on that ..

there is chain where it goes over the wheel shaft ..check that the shaft spins free without the chain ../loosen the adjusters and pull up with some rope
do you have a wheel break ..make sure thats loose if you do .

good luck

Edited by - SEAN on 07/26/2010 05:23:53
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2010 :  08:33:50  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<b>DANGER!</b>

Please take a close look at the pin that connects the Rudder Arm to the Steering Cables!

If that pin siezes in the arm, it cannot rotate, from that moment on, when you try to steer, you probably are trying to bend the eye bolts that are attached to that pin.

When those eyebolts snap, you cannot steer using the wheel!

You know that I know this from first hand experience! Of course our's snapped when we were in a tight marina with little option but to bounce off boats.. The admiral has forgiven me for the expletives uttered that day.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2010 :  08:47:06  Show Profile
Until you have the problem solved you should have your emergency tiller readily available.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2010 :  10:24:52  Show Profile
I have also experience the 'seized' pin issue and HIGHLY encourage you to look not only at the pin but also to see if the cables are connected 'upside-down'. If you have the pull / pull system the cables terminate at different heights, the upper should connect to top and lower to the bottom. My eye bolts broke from a seized pin; thank goodness I had the emergency tiller handy. (See previous posts on this issue)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2010 :  09:08:20  Show Profile
www.edsonmarine.com They have great technical literature on their website.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

txbigfoot
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2010 :  14:46:08  Show Profile
Thanx to all. I will check all the eye bolts and if that doesnt fix the problem then look at the chain inside the pedestal

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

superbob
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
200 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2010 :  12:05:27  Show Profile  Visit superbob's Homepage
I have the same issue with my Edson wheel steering. Rudder to starboard no problem. Rudder to port makes about half the distance in comparison. This makes turning difficult. Steering is also stiff. Edson was contacted last fall and the cables connected upside down were reversed. The pin is not seized or so it seems. I'm hauling the boat come October and make changes in particular the retro fit that's been discussed and sold by a member here (if it's still available.

In checking the connections I noticed that the rubber boot needs replacing. Does anyone know of a resource?

Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2010 :  12:11:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by superbob</i>
<br />...In checking the connections I noticed that the rubber boot needs replacing. Does anyone know of a resource?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
If someone finds a good source please post it here. The boot is also on my list for fall replacement.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2010 :  13:12:14  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
You can call Edson and order the rubber boot, I have one ready to install when the existing one's pin-hole size makes it an issue. Might be very soon.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2010 :  21:42:29  Show Profile
That rubber boot is about $50.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page