Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 LLSC Gone with the Wind Regatta pics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2010 :  16:19:43  Show Profile
Got to talk with Dmpilc (David P ) on the radideo for a few minutes. I was Wiped out from a long day ( bike ride am ) and I was anchoring up. Sounded like he was sent back to the fordeck. I got to sail through the LLSC GWTW regatta and it was a hoot. 45 boats I'd guess and what a beautiful day. I don't know how those guys stay out there so long, I havta go below during the heat of the day or get fried. I was embarrassed to sail through their regatta but it was fascinating to see and shoot. These are not from my professional cameras, just a "play" camera and lens.

http://rayswords.com/temp/100918gww/frameset.htm

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:14:35  Show Profile
There were 45 boats, 29 in gold fleeet and 16 in silver. I was crewing for a fellow fleet member whose C22 is much better rigged for racing than our boat. We got in 3 races on Saturday in winds 5-10 mph and 2 more races on Sunday on a shortened course. We were in 21st place after the Saturday races but did much better on Sunday, coming in 10th and 8th. Haven't seen the final standings yet.
Neither one of us have much experience racing in a fleet that large. The starts were really intense with very tough competition. It was a great learning experience.

Great pics, Ray. Our boat was bow #29 in your frame #081.

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/20/2010 08:24:15
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  09:58:27  Show Profile
That was so much fun to shoot and singlehanded sail among 45 at the same time. I've never seen so many tricked out Cat 22's.
Kinda unusual to get a day of steady NE winds. We usually have winds out of the WNW as the cold fronts blow in. When the wind comes from the East it is coming in over flat land, a much steadier breeze.
I sailed among you guys for a bit on Saturday around noon and kept expecting to get a wave from someone but I guess you guys were a bit preoccupied.

Trying to stay away from the regattas, as I've heard they are just as contagious as foots disease.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  10:51:07  Show Profile
Thanks for the pics. Hope you don't mind, but I forwarded the link to members of our fleet as well as the guy in charge of the regatta. LLSC is home base for several C-22 national champions so the competition is always very intense. There were sailors from Indiana to Florida in attendance, and they got sponsorships from 3 different sail makers who each gave 40% off coupons for a new genoa as well as WM and Gill, and several others whose names escape me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  11:40:20  Show Profile
Don't mind at all. Happy to share the pics. Very interesting to see and learn about the racing. Been a long time since I camped out at LLSC. Usta go for windsurfing regattas.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  12:18:04  Show Profile
Interesting . . . I never realized C22 racing was so popular. Never seen a C22 with Mylar sails either! Yikes!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  12:51:37  Show Profile
I'll probably get burned for this but I think it is pretty funny also... Kinda like takin the pigs out for a race... ( Whaw.. go boy .. Sueeeeeeeeeee ) No.. they are not racing boats, but they sail also and it is cool to see so many of them.. There are lots of other designs that have not kept up as well as these. I love to watch the races, and I'll shoot and share if I get the chance.

They are competitive so you don't want to get in the way. I thought I was sailing away at one point and they dragged the mark ahead of me and all of the sudden the fleet had a bead on me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  16:43:52  Show Profile
Catalina 22's are very competitive here in the south. We've been using mylar sails for about 6 years now, others longer than that. We have VC Offshore Epoxy bottoms and sand them lightly before a major regatta, strip them bare of all things not essential to racing the boat, dry sail them, etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  20:19:23  Show Profile
Somehow it seems contrary to the concept of the C-22 class to have sails that are worth twice as much as everyone's boat. At some point, you need to get a racing boat and race against other people with racing boats! Some one-design classes are limited to Dacron, and even to the cut, and some classes only allow one new sail per boat per year to keep sail expenses from making the class non-competitive.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/20/2010 20:26:06
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  22:23:45  Show Profile
Racing sails for a C-22, main and 150 genoa, cost around $2,500, depending on the sailmaker. Good used C-22 boats, set up for racing, will generally cost around $4-5k initially with used sails and a serviceable trailer. The newer C-22 Sport boats cost significantly more.
Serious racers will buy new sails about every 2 years. Usually, the main will last a year or two longer than the genoa. They are usually raced with 2 or 3 people.
For a family cruise or outing, simply toss in the cushions and porta-potty. I have a set of Waters racing sails (mylar genoa and dacron main) and a set of all dacron cruising sails.
Only 2 headsails are allowed on the boat, plus a spinnaker (Nationals and some regionals will offer a separate spinnaker trophy in addition to regular class racing).

PS. We finished 15th out of 27 boats in gold fleet.

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/20/2010 22:25:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page