Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Newbee needs advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnmcb
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2010 :  17:33:28  Show Profile
I am a new owner of a 1982 Catalina 25 swing keel and need some guidence on <u>where best to get parts. </u> Among other things, I need to get the upgrade 1/2" bolts for deck plates, Starboard running light lense (Green)and hatch adjuster (rod that holds the hatch up). To me these things sound like things I would have to go t a dealer for. Should I go through the dealer in Atlanta or does Catalina have a more direct way to get parts

I also need advice on many things, like where best to place bilge pump(s)(there are so many small compatments)? Should I replace or repair Land/sea chemical toilet (pump bellows is missing) and what is best size and type of anchor for sandy bottoms, Mobile bay, Alabama. Prior owner had a claw type anchor on a roler, but it has hit the pier so many times it has damaged the deck. Should I switch to a danforth and drop the roler?

I know this is a lot of different things, but maybe you have good knowledge of one or two things. Thanks in advance for whatever help you can lend.

macsailor

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  18:07:41  Show Profile
John, welcome to the forum. Glad you found it. You have a lot of questions so it might be best if different folks addressed various questions. I might suggest you create a signature that says:
your name or "handle", name of your boat, std or tall rig, fin or swing keel (I see you have swing) and locale (ATL). Some boats have a Dinette layout in the cabin, others have port and starboard settees. In the former case, the bilge is accessible under the dinette seats, while in the latter, another member will have to tell you.

You may find some of the parts on the SWAP MEET section of this website, as QuickMick is parting out a boat. Catalina Direct has a lot of what you may need. The CD website is "clunky", but if you call them on the phone, they're very helpful.

Some non-proprietary items may be available at Defender or West Marine or your favorite boating site.

Good luck with your never-ending upgrades and fixit projects!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  18:09:09  Show Profile
Welcome to the community, John!

First, I'll recommend [url="http://catalinadirect.com/"]Catalina Direct[/url] (CD), a third-party supplier of parts and upgrades for our boats. They're very knowledgeable and helpful. Get their $10 "C-25 Handbook", which is a combination of catalog and tips--they'll send you free updates each year.

We might need some clarification of what you need the bolts for... The hatch adjuster can be bought from CD. I'm a little concerned about the damaged deck under the anchor roller--that's also the deck that holds the "stem fitting" that's the anchor for the forestay. If your stem fitting does not have a tang that goes about 10" down the bow, you should think about upgrading that (from CD) so the stem fitting doesn't pull more of the deck up. (You can see the tang that goes under the rub-rail if you click the C-25 picture in my "signature" below.) One version of the upgrade fitting has an integral anchor roller.

If by "Land/sea" you mean a Sealand sanipottie (portable), I suspect I'd get a new one. There are many nice new choices available, including 5-gallon units that can (optionally) be plumbed to a deck pump-out fitting.

A suggestion: Fill in your and your boat's information in the "Signature" under your profile (above) so it will appear with each post, telling us some things that might help give you more specific answers. You'll see many examples of signatures with the replies here.

And join the association--it's the best $22 you'll spend on your new boat!

I'll let some of our Gulf members recommend an anchor--I suspect most will be good as long as you have adequate (25' or more) of chain.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/19/2010 18:14:31
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  19:08:26  Show Profile
I have been completely satisfied with my Danforth in the sand of Pensacola Bay and the sand and stiff mud of Lake Erie. If you go with a Danforth Style, stick with the real thing, cheap copies don't come close to the original in P/S tests. Fortress is not a cheap copy, it performs like a Danforth. Light aluminum anchors from Fortress give about the same holding power as their heavier steel cousins, but they are not their structural equals - P/S has had them deform under very high loads in testing. Heavier anchors penetrate the bottom more reliably and quickly, but they are harder on your back; if the bottom of Mobile Bay is like Pensacola Bay, you'll never notice the difference in setting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johnmcb
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  19:16:42  Show Profile
Thanks bunch, CD had the nav. light. Down south here it's too hot to sail in day this time of year. I hate to sail w/o nav. lights. I have the settee on each side with access to bilge under settees and under deck next to keel box. Previous owner had bilge pump under sink which is dry when the under decking bilge has two inches of water.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page